Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:41 AM

93,165 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Not New England, but in the Northeast, Ithaca NY comes to mind. Perhaps New Paltz NY is another place. Parts of bigger Upstate NY cities like Elmwood Village in Buffalo, Park Ave in Rochester, Center Square in Albany and Westcott(south of East Genesee Street) in Syracuse, among others, come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 12:15 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Portland Maine impressed me. You'd like it.

For outside of New England (and this is a small town) Yellow Springs Ohio.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 PM

27 posts, read 43,829 times
Peterborough, NH and Portsmouth, NH are two towns that come to mind. Peterborough is home to an art colony and active theatre scene.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM

145 posts, read 256,948 times
Shelburn Falls, Mass (walkable, very artsy)
Provincetown, Mass (you should know, haha)
Burlington, VT (specifically Church Street and around there)
Boothbay Harbor, Maine (not sure on how "liberal" it is but it's very cute, quaint, walkable, artsy, lots of shopping, pretty views)

Old 03-15-2013, 08:24 AM

133 posts, read 261,391 times
Query: Are you looking for artsy places or places where serious working artists live and work?

As the husband of an artist in the Boston area with ties to Providence, Providence may have both due to a renaissance for the city combined with the existence of RISD. But there are a number of places that have an artsy feel but don't have lots of serious artists. Both Santa Fe and Rockport probably fall into this category.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 AM

30 posts, read 59,125 times
I'm also looking for the same thing except I have a 6 yr old and two dogs. We are in Orlando and this is not a walking town and not progressive....looking to move to hudson valley, west mass, Boston area, or maybe back to the UK....

Old 03-24-2013, 09:48 AM

30 posts, read 59,125 times
adding to the above post..I'm into communal living sustainable living and community,,,I also dance and need either good schools or a free charter school, I did look at Jamaica plain but not sure about the schools there. I have a masters in spec ed and esol and will need to work too...

Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 PM

93,165 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab7 View Post
adding to the above post..I'm into communal living sustainable living and community,,,I also dance and need either good schools or a free charter school, I did look at Jamaica plain but not sure about the schools there. I have a masters in spec ed and esol and will need to work too...
Perhaps look into Ithaca: Home + New Roots School

Mobile Site Preview
Ithaca City School District - Home

Ecovillage at Ithaca

GreenStar Natural Foods Market

Ithaca & Finger Lakes, New York | VegGuide.Org

There is more info above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.