U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 AM

79 posts, read 202,322 times

Advertisements

Taking all of New England into consideration, where would you recommend someone live who...
  • Has no kids (school system doesn't factor into my decision)
  • Is progressive and wants a progressive/liberal area
  • Wants an arts community (could be a small one, but it's there)
  • Wants a low-crime area
  • Is open to cities or towns
  • Is in their early 40s
  • Would be renting, not buying
  • Wants a scenic area with nature trails, parks, close by
  • Has a car but would like to live in a walkable place where there are stores, coffeehouse, etc. nearby
  • Can take/leave public transit -- if the area has it, great, if not, that's ok too
Im familiar with Massachusetts for the above criteria places like Northampton come to mind but I am curious about the other 5 New England states as well and what places they have that might meet this criteria. Im at a place in my life where I am pressing the reset button and am looking to move to a new place.

If anyone has suggestions for non-New England places that meet this list, please let me know (Ive been told Sedona, AZ and/or Santa Fe, NM would fit the bill just not sure yet if I want to be landlocked).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 AM

6,837 posts, read 11,106,559 times
Consider Providence RI or Newport RI. Both fit all your criteria.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 AM

6,105 posts, read 7,256,609 times
I know people who love Portsmouth NH and Portland Maine for all of the reasons you have listed. I take it commuting isn't a factor like so many on here.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 AM

1,203 posts, read 3,096,857 times
Northampton definitely comes to mind right away. It meets all of your criteria. But then again, I lived out in that area for a while, so I'm familiar with it.

I've heard some good things about towns on the North Shore too, but I'll let others chime in about those.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 AM

Default Providence / Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Consider Providence RI or Newport RI. Both fit all your criteria.
Thanks for the ideas -- which areas of Providence would you suggest? College Hill?

Overall, Newport seems too opulent/yacht crowd for me, but are there parts that don't have that vibe?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I know people who love Portsmouth NH and Portland Maine for all of the reasons you have listed. I take it commuting isn't a factor like so many on here.
Hi, Commuting is a factor, but I intend to find a job near home (wherever home may be). Been there, done that with long hellish commutes.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM

109 posts, read 258,440 times
Hi there, InternationalOrange! I know you said that you're thinking outside of Mass, but what about the South End in Boston or Jamaica Plain? Concord also has a lot of the things on your list. Let me know if I can help!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:55 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
I've spent a good deal of my life in both Connecticut and Massachusetts, and I can say that while Massachusetts is peppered with such places, Connecticut really isn't. Middletown is okay as a semi-sleepy college town, due to Weslyan. New Haven has most of what you're looking for in the areas around downtown, but the proximity to higher-crime areas might put you off. And that's about it.

Vermont definitely has places you'd enjoy, like Brattleboro and Burlington. I don't know Rhode Island, New Hampshire, or Maine well enough to make any concrete statements.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:35 AM

541 posts, read 1,816,155 times
Rockport, MA, Newburyport, MA.

Art Associations & Galleries in Rockport, MA

Newburyport Art Association

The Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce and Industry

Planning and Development - Newburyport

Old 03-13-2013, 11:38 AM

6,837 posts, read 11,106,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalOrange View Post
Thanks for the ideas -- which areas of Providence would you suggest? College Hill?

Overall, Newport seems too opulent/yacht crowd for me, but are there parts that don't have that vibe?
Areas of Providence: Several areas of the East Side inc. College Hill, Wayland Square, Hope Village, Wickenden St & Fox Point area. Each is very walkable and also served by bus and trolley. Downtown is also popular, as is Federal Hill which is across 95 from downtown. Providence is an arts magnet.

Newport has a middle class population certainly. For affordability and year round convenience (Newport hops in the summer of course), I'd probably go with Providence. Check out the websites and photos by Richard Benjamin. http://www.providenceri.com/richardb...hall-8-02.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or