Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:40 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,862 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Most of my life I've lived in the northern Midwest - Chicago, Northern Indiana, Northern Ohio.

Looking a few years down the road, I am looking at relocating southward, for one reason because of seasonal affective disorder, and for another reason I just don't enjoy winter sports or activities. I feel like I am trying to compress my life into the 6 good weather months every year. It doesn't help that the people closest to me seem to get affected by S.A.D too. Basically, the opportunities just aren't here for the kind of active life that I imagine for myself.

I've enjoyed Columbus, Ohio and it is near the top of my list of places I would consider, but I think I might find something more southward that would work for me. I've also lived in Orlando for a short time, but it was a little too hot in summer, too overpriced, and didn't have the kind of community feel that I was looking for.

Some of my criteria are:
- Liberal (or a moderate to conservative area, but with a sizeable liberal community that has a voice)
- A medium to large gay community that has an established network of support such as a community center, nightlife, etc.
- A major state university within an hour (or in the university town itself)
- Big city within 2 hours (or in the big city itself)
- Ample opportunities for a senior citizen family member to become involved and get support (senior centers, YMCA, non-profits, etc.)
- Housing I can afford on a $40,000 to $65,000 salary
- More days of sunshine and above-freezing weather than I currently am experiencing
- Driving distance to a waterfront (ocean or lake) is a plus.

Job opportunities are not too much of a concern because I work in the education/government sector and although there might not be a suitable position that comes open every semester or every year, my experience has been that sooner or later positions do open up. I can wait until that happens.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Austin and the Raleigh-Durham area seem to be your best bets.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:08 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,862 times
Thanks!

Old 03-14-2013, 04:27 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
New Orleans could work too. There is a liberal vibe to the city as the transplants are coming in, and typically downtowners are left leaning. There is a gay community there and even the Southern Decadence which is a week long festival in the French Quarter and has over 100,000 visitors. You have Tulane and Loyola Universities in the city and LSU in Baton Rouge an hour away. The closest big city would be between Houston and Atlanta but New Orleans feels like a bigger city than it is already. You can get by on that salary, just depends on where you want to live. The Bywater and Marigny are the more bohemian style neighborhoods while Mid-City would be more affordable and Uptown more expensive. We might freeze down here 7 days out of the year on average. The city borders Lake Pontchartrain and the Mississippi River, also you can drive a few hours south to Grande Isle or drive a couple hours east over to Gulf Shored or Dauphin Island.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:46 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro, NC (and to a lesser extent Raleigh) would be a great choice and fit all of your criteria.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Austin is losing some of its appeal, having grown too large. But there are some very nice towns around Austin (like San Marcos) which would be delightful. Also, San Antonio, which is in many respects (including traffic) nicer than Austin.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Austin is losing some of its appeal, having grown too large. But there are some very nice towns around Austin (like San Marcos) which would be delightful. Also, San Antonio, which is in many respects (including traffic) nicer than Austin.

I always liked Chattanooga, which always flies beneath the radar on threads like this, but I have no idea what it would be like to live there.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:56 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I'm not sure but I think Knoxville might be better for gay cluture (clubs, etc.) than Chattanooga.

Chattanooga is much better for being close to a big city (Atlanta). Neither rank very well for proximity to the ocean. Knoxville has more and bigger lakes nearby and a larger university.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, New Orleans, Mobile (AL) come to mind. Mobile might pleasantly surprise you, as might Fort Worth.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
If the OP thought Orlando was hot, then none of the Texas or Louisiana cities would work; otherwise, I would recommend Houston.

Charleston, SC maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.