U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:49 AM

2,035 posts, read 4,555,130 times

Advertisements

Absolutely not.
For one thing, the food isnt as good as it is here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,928,968 times
I wouldnt say "jealous", but definitely envious...I live in Charlotte, NC. Not the best city in my opinion, but definitely not the worst city. I do feel sometime that I missed out sometimes living in *BORING* Charlotte compared to those other cities.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 PM

6,635 posts, read 4,596,063 times
Jealous? Not at all. I enjoy visiting, but have no desire to move to any of those cities.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:20 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,984,101 times
Well....in a fantasy world where I could actually afford to live in those places, yes. At my current income? No.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 PM

10,553 posts, read 13,114,040 times
No

Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,119,247 times
Earlier I had mentioned that I was looking for jobs in Boston. I don't know man. Deep down inside, I don't want to live there. It's extremely expensive, congested and stressful. The climate is also pretty harsh. And it's very fast paced. Driving and parking a car there is a nightmare, too. Beautiful city, architecturally though.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,562,047 times
I am a little envious of Austin today, it is 2nd day of spring and is still in 20s.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:43 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,809,323 times
No because some of them are overrated and everyone has a different pace of life. Boston and SF are the bomb but im not necesarrily jealous of those who do. They have to deal with terrible traffic and high price of living. Portland to me is very overrated, its not as important as people think it is and its nothing that special (except the nature in the area is to die for). Austin is just a city with a large amount of night life and thats it, nothing more. Seattle is okay but i like SF and Boston more.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 PM

567 posts, read 910,475 times
I always felt privileged to have been born and raised in L.A., even if it was in an unremarkable suburban section thereof (really, that's all that most of it is) as opposed to the Westside or Hollywood or whatever. I remember when I was in high school I envied the hell out of the kids who got to grow up in Hollywood running around doing wild stuff. It seemed like such a magical place. I'm not talking about the movie industry per se, but the sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll.

There were times where I would have sacrificed a limb in exchange for a bought-and-paid-for place in San Francisco, but now that it's all gentrified, not so much. I'm old enough to remember when it was all dirty and crazy and how normal average boring people wouldn't go near it except for Fisherman's Wharf and Candlestick.

I've partied hard in Seattle with friends who wound up there. The weather got to me, man. I don't know, maybe I could live there.

Portland was small and boring. Sorry.

Austin? Glorified college town.

Boston? Doesn't seem like my kind of place.

There was a time where I envied New Yorkers but not so much now.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris 02 View Post
These five cities are arguably the hottest cities in the country right now and possibly the best and most exciting places to live if you are a twenty something. For those who can't move to Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, or Boston, do you envy those who do live there? What is keeping you from moving to one of the above cities?
Arguably? Who's arguing? I live in Portland and all I can say is if anyone is jealous of those who live here because they live someplace else, it's a free country, they don't need a passport and they are more than welcome to relocate here. If they can find a job of course.

From the responses, it does not appear that amongst the twenty somethings here don't agree that these cities are the most exciting places to live. Nothing is keeping them from moving to any of these cities except the lack of desire to live there. I wonder if the OP has any stats on this claim that they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or