Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:23 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hg80 View Post
I would definitely be visiting. Like I said, I do have family in the area (the whole reason the NE is on my radar, honestly) and we'd be making a swing by any areas that looked all right on paper.

You're not the only person I've known to speak ill of upstate New York. Albany and Buffalo, especially. It's disconcerting, of course. Would you have a better alternative to suggest, or just purely "avoid Albany?" In your opinion, as a former resident, is the state, outside of the city, just one depressed and dying area? I'm definitely interested in getting positive and negative views, here.
Finally, a poster who understands that positive AND negative viewpoints are a good thing. I like you.

Yeah I use to be one of those die-hard "anywhere in NY is Heaven" people. But after living upstate, it just kinda completely shut down my view of upstate NY. The only way I'd move back to NY state is if I was living in Brooklyn again. The NYC metro is totally different than upstate NY.

Upstate NY has way too many depressed areas. Economically and socially. Albany is no exception. My friend who has lived in both Rochester and Albany his entire life just told me last week when he got back from Austin, TX that he had couldn't believe just how crappy those two cities are in comparison to others he's been to. He has been to Chicago, Miami, Detroit, San Diego, Boulder, Denver, and many more. He loves to travel nowadays.

Sure, upstate NY definitely has a lot of "top colleges" but that's about the only thing that's nice about it. What I really can't stand about it is that the people are so cold and close minded and just really not who you want to be surrounded by...keep in mind that this is coming from a NYCer, and we don't exactly have the "most polite" reward hanging from our shelves.

As to alternatives to Albany that are within NY, I can't think of any outside of NYC. Even areas close to NYC like Yonkers and Mt. Vernon are boring dumps that I would never want to live in. Just met a guy the other day at work here in Atlanta who is actually from the Bronx and said you can't pay him enough to move to Yonkers or any nearby upstate cities.

In New England though, I've lived in Bristol, Meriden, Hartford, and New Haven...all in CT. I like the New England vibe a lot in CT, more so than I do in places like Providence, RI. Providence comes to mind because there are so many Catholics there that it becomes sort of overwhelming in a way. Nothing against Catholics (I am Catholic myself), but it's just a little much for me and the people are slightly different. CT people, to me, are straightforward but friendly at the same time. Best of both worlds in my opinion and it's near NYC so that's another reason why I like it.

I've heard that Boston is nice, however I've never lived there, just visited. Nice place to be in the summers in my opinion but nothing more than that. My mom loves Maine but I don't see it as a great place to raise a famiy. Pretty boring in my opinion just like Vermont and New Hampshire.

I've had friends that have moved to New Jersey and loved it for the most part. Mostly because it's cheaper than NYC but still close.

Now watch me get flamed because of certain things I've said in this post. Like I said earlier though, just trying to be real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 AM

9 posts, read 14,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why do you think you will be "flamed"? Don't do it to yourself for no reason, man.

For the OP, here is some information on some of the areas and things mentioned in prior posts: Visit Ithaca

Visit Syracuse :: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

VisitRochester

Buffalo, NY Vacation Info | Visit Niagara Falls | Buffalo Hotels, Restaurants, Things to Do

Albany: Official Guide To Albany Hotels, Events, Restaurants, Real Estate, Classifieds & More In Albany NY On Albany.com!

Examples of parks in the immediate Syracuse area: City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs

Home » Onondaga County Parks

New York State Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation
Central Region - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Finger Lakes Region - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

There are also town park systems as well. Here are some streetviews of neighborhoods/areas that people affiliated with Syracuse University tend to or may live in: Google Maps Street View

Google Maps Street View

Google Maps Street View

Google Maps Street View

Google Maps Street View

Google Maps Street View

Google Maps Street View
Again, thank you for the bounty of information. If pressed, what would you say is a caveat for Syracuse/Buffalo/upstate in general? More specifically, complete the thought "Upstate New York is a great place to live, unless you're the kind of person who..."

Old 03-23-2013, 10:05 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Unless you're the type of person who likes having job opportunity.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Again, thank you for the bounty of information. If pressed, what would you say is a caveat for Syracuse/Buffalo/upstate in general? More specifically, complete the thought "Upstate New York is a great place to live, unless you're the kind of person who..."
Wants a faster pace of life, can't deal with snow and some cloudy days and can't deal with higher tax rates for certain things. Jobs could be included, but it will depend on what you can do and want. For instance, I've seen quite a few engineering jobs throughout Upstate NY, but I think that there is a mismatch of skills for openings and those looking for jobs. Healthcare and higher education are also industries doing fine up here. What is also ironic is that Saratoga County in the Albany area has seen some good private industry growth due to this company: GLOBALFOUNDRIES Careers

Yahoo! is expanding in the Buffalo area: Yahoo! Announces Plans to Expand in Lockport, New York / Yahoo

and more information: Tech company Dynamax moving from Homer to Canandaigua | syracuse.com

StarTribune.com Mobile | News, weather, sports

Citigroup looks to hire 175 people - Business - The Buffalo News

Looking For A Job? Air Brake Begins Hiring Process | WWNY TV 7 - News, Weather and Sports for | Local News

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-openings.html

So, jobs will depend on what you are looking for.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:05 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,478 times
Quote:
Like I said, I'm not completely excited about going back east. (For the record, the Boulder, Colorado, area, would probably be my first choice, if there weren't other considerations.) So I'm not particularly demanding. It is what it is, and I can be flexible with some of this criteria. For my own part, I've come across the following cities--- Amherst, MA; Burlington, VT; Syracuse, NY; Albany, NY; Pittsburgh, PA. If anyone could weigh in with relevant information or advice, I'd be appreciative. Also, if anyone has suggestions that don't quite fall into my regional preference, I'd love to hear your reasoning. We have lots of time before our move and a lot is still up in the air.Thanks in advance.
My first thought was somewhere around Springfield, MA. UMASS Amherst is going to be a lot cheaper that Syracuse U., and I'm sure it has a perfectly respectable Geography program. The Pioneer Valley is a great place to live and play, and the Berkshires offer a near idyllic exurban experience. That's where I'd pick if I were you. I'm sure Syracuse would be fine, but I don't think your lifestyle options would be anywhere near as nicely supported as they'd be in Western MA, the proximity to the Adirondacks notwithstanding (and that's particularly the case since your first choice would be Boulder). Good luck with wherever you choose!

Old 03-23-2013, 12:27 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Another place that may work, but is smaller is Plattsburgh NY. It has a SUNY 2 and 4 year campus, a free city beach on Lake Champlain, is close to the Adirondacks, Burlington VT and Montreal. I'm not sure if Plattsburgh State has a Geography program, but it may be worth a look. Actually, here you go: Geography Program at SUNY Plattsburgh

City of Plattsburgh

http://m.plattsburghrecreation.com/

Plattsburgh North Country Chamber of Commerce

Plattsburgh (city), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a small city that has grown in terms of population in recent years too: US2010

It did have an Air Base until 1994(probably the reason for the changes in earlier decades) and had an openly gay mayor not too long ago.

Here are other geography programs you may be interested in: Geography Department - SUNY Cortland

Geography & Planning Department - University at Albany - SUNY -

Department of Geography :: University at Buffalo

Binghamton University - Geography

Geography Home | SUNY Geneseo

Oneonta Geography Department

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-23-2013 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.