Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
yea, I find it kinda sad and pathetic that people let weather rule their lives. All you have to do is make minor adjustments to enjoy all 4 seasons.
Interesting...

what I find "sad and pathetic" is those who actually stop to take the time to berate and belittle others. If that's what makes your day, have at it. The fact that so many of you like the four seasons, that's great. And I mean that will full sincerity. What started out as a joke has really taken an ugly turn and that's just a shame. Then again, everyone is different and that's what makes this world go 'round, the good, the bad and everything in between. All I know is I'm true to myself and am kind and honorable to those around me, no matter our differences and I'm proud of that. Can some of you say the same?

Anyway, have a good day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
I really enjoyed the OP, thanks haha. Most of it is so true although I would agree with others in that the doom and gloom is really only Mid-January thru Mid-March.

I am so ready for Spring! Although the snow yesterday kind of ruined the progress.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I really enjoyed the OP, thanks haha. Most of it is so true although I would agree with others in that the doom and gloom is really only Mid-January thru Mid-March.

I am so ready for Spring! Although the snow yesterday kind of ruined the progress.
Why thank you . It was a satire really, exaggerated nonetheless. I just happen to be one of those people who loves the sunshine and thrive on the types of activities I can do in the warm weather (I'm an athlete so the more sports the better!) so I certainly shouldn't have to defend that. I just never thought it would be considered so reprehensible.

But anyway, what's the saying - one man's trash is another man's treasure? Well, one man's doom and gloom is another man's paradise, lol. Such is life and it's wonderful we have these choices!

p.s. we had a surprise "spring" day on Sunday. It was in the 40's but with the sunshine and no wind, it was a great day. Went to the beach for a few hours with my boyfriend's aunt and her dogs then took bp later. What a day!

Hope you get some days like that yourself.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
It's not you, please don't take it personally. You just had the terrible, terrible misfortune of having your thread transferred to the general US forum. Also known as the Shark Tank. You're not in Tampa anymore. :O
Pretty weird, when you consider there's a whole forum that discusses nothing but WEATHER!

I look forward to each of the seasons and the changes. Yeah, I do get tired of too many cloudy days in a row -- some winters it's like you don't see the sun for weeks on end! But just when you've had enough of one season, along comes another!

I think about what would it be like to live in a place like San Diego, where the weather is beautiful, and pretty constant (so I hear) all year long. Would it get boring? Would I get spoiled by fine weather and rant when the temp drops into the 60s?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:32 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
I feel like the OP thought this thread would be funny and I understand what he/she was getting at.

In context in the Tampa forum, I'm sure it would have gone smoother. But when it appears in the general US forum it really does appear to be implying; especially with the thread's title is "If you are still living in the Northeast or Midwest (as in, trapped there, because lord knows that EVERYONE in the NE and midwest aspires to one day move to the glorious wonder that is the sunbelt)...here is how depressing winter is for you and what you can look forward to leaving behind when you move south!".

Again; I'm sure that shortsighted message isn't what the OP was trying to convey. It simply appears that way within the context of being in the general US forum.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
It seems a lot of people have lost their sense of humor around here. I thought it was amusing, though I would add to July and August that it gets too hot and humid to do anything and the fun of summer has worn off. :-p It's like the jokes northerners have that our four seasons are almost winter, winter, late winter, and road construction.

As for weather dictating people's lives, there are many scientific studies to suggest that the weather does alter mood in humans. Sunshine, even if it's a frigid day, improves people's mood, while cloudy and rain/snowy days will bring people's mood down, especially many cloudy days in a row like we see in the winter across the north. It's just a natural thing.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I feel like the OP thought this thread would be funny and I understand what he/she was getting at.

In context in the Tampa forum, I'm sure it would have gone smoother. But when it appears in the general US forum it really does appear to be implying; especially with the thread's title is "If you are still living in the Northeast or Midwest (as in, trapped there, because lord knows that EVERYONE in the NE and midwest aspires to one day move to the glorious wonder that is the sunbelt)...here is how depressing winter is for you and what you can look forward to leaving behind when you move south!".

Again; I'm sure that shortsighted message isn't what the OP was trying to convey. It simply appears that way within the context of being in the general US forum.
I wanted to clarify (as my first clarification must be getting buried in this thread) that I *did* post in the Tampa forum - for chuckles only - and I would NEVER have posted something of this nature in a general forum because my nature is not to taunt, find fault, etc. I *hope* this is being transparent enough. Unfortunately, I'm getting slammed because one moderator apparently decided this is where my thread should be. Good gawd!

I don't know if this will make a different but I truly TRULY was not trying to insult ANYONE. It's hard to convey humor sometimes or the inflection but the audience this was intended was not to those who love the change of the seasons.

And...as I stated before...I do wish everyone a good day.

((whew))

Old 03-26-2013, 07:59 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
your calendar year goes something like this:

April: a glimmer of hope, the temps are rising. Don't get too excited, it has been known to get slammed with a big storm but you dare open some windows if only to get some fresh air for a few hours, you hear the birds, see some green against the bare brown scenery. You've had enough and you take out a few shorts and t's so you're ready at a moment's notice if the weather hits 50. And it's time for baseball season.

May: You made it. The first official month where the hell that is snow is gone. Windows are open, heat is off, and everything starts to look better, feel better, taste better. The doom and depression is finally letting go of its grasp on you. Time to remove the tarp from the grill.

June: A preview of the giddyness you know you are going to soon feel, a few summer days in the lingering spring, everyone is outdoors, and the daylight lasts well into the night as you take advantage of the most of every day.

July: every day is a good day...day trips to the beach, picnics, walking, biking, recreational sports, windows open, music sounds better, you eat more fruits, veggies and salads, the grill is always fired up, camping, fishing, etc.

August: just as good as July, you ramp up on taking your vacation days, you've worked on your tan nicely, you have flip flop lines, you're in a great mood, better shape, and you're loving life.

September: you're still riding the summer buzz, still possibly a few beach days, no jackets yet, it's just good to still enjoy the outdoors

October: there is an occasional chill in the air, but you're greatful for no jackets quite yet, in fact you're enjoying the crisp fall air, the colorful leaves, baseball playoffs, beginning of football, and you take advantage of the Indian summer days, maybe squeeze in a day or two at the beach.

November: no chance of a beach day, cold has set in, shorts, t's and flip flops are packed away, jackets are slowly taking up your closet space, temperature drops at night but you refuse to put the heat on, add an extra blanket, quilt is gone and replaced with a comforter and that familiar doom is making it's way to your conscious. Football is getting you through.

December: Doom and depression has set in, you're forced to crank the heat, sweaters and jackets are in full force, no chance of ever opening a window, it's dark when you get up and dark when you drive home, first snowfall of the year has occurred and the novelty is gone, no more fresh summer fruit and your iced coffee has been replaced with hot tea or cocoa. This sux. And your tan is gone, you're white as a ghost.

January: big deal, new year, it's still cold, you've seen below freezing temps, you've shoveled, de-iced and salted your driveway, you've dealt with increased traffic jams due to the storms, late for work, your vocabulary is full of expletives as you ask yourself if you can take much more of this

February: youre heating bill is at its peak, you've most likely broken a shovel, replaced your wiper blades, all you want are hot meals, your winter weight has snuck its way on, and in your hibernation, you sit at home bundled up in heavy sox, fleece pants, and a sweatshirt wondering why you're still cold when the heat has been on for hours. Is this hell?

March: You've endured, the winter has been so long you're ecstatic when it's 30 and sunny. You actually spend time outside when it's over 40. Anything higher and jackets are off and you just might dare to take BP. But it's not over, mornings in their 20's, more surprise storms, winter is not done with you yet. More expletives. Spring training has eased your pain, but the calendar as we know it is wrong. It is not spring.
I chucked at the bias in this post. No mention at all of the awful heat, humidity, bugs, smells, and listlessness of July and August. For me, the doom and depression season is from late June to early September. Give me 40 degrees over 80 degrees anyday.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
It seems a lot of people have lost their sense of humor around here. I thought it was amusing, though I would add to July and August that it gets too hot and humid to do anything and the fun of summer has worn off. :-p It's like the jokes northerners have that our four seasons are almost winter, winter, late winter, and road construction.

As for weather dictating people's lives, there are many scientific studies to suggest that the weather does alter mood in humans. Sunshine, even if it's a frigid day, improves people's mood, while cloudy and rain/snowy days will bring people's mood down, especially many cloudy days in a row like we see in the winter across the north. It's just a natural thing.

I'm not ashamed to admit, I do believe I have some form of SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Hey, it is what it is. And I feel very fortunate that I have the option to see what palm trees and sunshine is all about! Thanks for the post.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 AM

389 posts, read 470,051 times
Haha, I wonder if some of these people know not everyone in the world lives in four season weather. Also if people want to live somewhere warm... it's not that serious, I have this friend who said going thru four seasons is part of being human, I was like dude... you know the weather isn't like this everywhere even within our country. Then he said he wouldn't appreciate the warm weather, well I'm pretty sure after a week of visiting the frigid temps and seeing no one outside he'd take an 80 degree day lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
View detailed profiles of: