Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times

Advertisements

Here's how I experienced my 26 years in the south:

March - Good grief, are we already having 80 degree days? We went from 60s to 80s seemingly overnight. Where is spring? I'd love to be outside, but there is all this yellow pollen covering everything that won't let me breathe without an inhaler.

April - Since the humidity has matched the temps, I'm sweating through my T shirts. Better go to the beach for a refreshing swim now before the water reaches 85 degrees as well. Eating outside in the evening is nice however . . . as long as I have citronella candles to chase away the mosquitoes.

May - It's heeeeer! Hot and humid days, so I'm taking the show indoors. I'm afraid of my AC bill.

June - I was right to be afraid of my AC bill. And now it's going to get worse. Sure is pretty-looking outside the windows. Wish I could enjoy being out there but "sweat-fest" is in full force. At least we have cable to entertain us. And all the bugs have come inside to keep us company.

July - OMG - I have to go to the store! The car seat was soooo hot when I got back in and sat on it. Ouch - so was the steering wheel! Hope the ice cream doesn't melt before I get home.

August - When is this going to end? 95 degrees and 90% humidity!!! Please don't make me cut the grass, honey! I'm a sticky mess after being outside only 5 minutes. And my AC bill

September - I'm so depressed. I just talked to my friends up north who are enjoying football under a crisp sun at 70 degrees. I went to the game yesterday, but no way was I going to tailgate. Get me inside that domed stadium ASAP! Even the evenings are still sticky.

October - It's supposed to be cool, right? The leaves are supposed to turn colors, right? The sun is supposed to stop beating down on me, right? I'd give anything to wear a light-weight jacket. And what's with all this ragweed - thank goodness for my inhaler!

November - What a relief it is! It's so nice to finally be able to go outside again. Too bad daylight saving time is over and it's dark when I get home.

December - Let's turn up the AC so we can light a fire and get in the holiday spirit!!! "In the meadow we can build a snowman" . . . well, we can sing about it.

January - Why is it so dark, damp, cool and rainy?

February - Hey, it's nice outside! Too bad this month only has 28 days. Maybe I can make a deal with my higher power: "I'll do anyting if you can keep March from rolling around again!"

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 03-27-2013 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: correct typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:07 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
I'd agree with almost all of it except:

Quote:
December: Doom and depression has set in, you're forced to crank the heat, sweaters and jackets are in full force, no chance of ever opening a window, it's dark when you get up and dark when you drive home, first snowfall of the year has occurred and the novelty is gone, no more fresh summer fruit and your iced coffee has been replaced with hot tea or cocoa. This sux. And your tan is gone, you're white as a ghost.
December is usually the one month of winter that everyone loves. It's not freezing cold yet, it's still new and there's a novelty to it each year. The first few snows are celebrated, it's holiday season, Christmas markets, lights and decorations, Christmas parties at work and with friends, spending time with family. Most people will take a week or more off work at the end of December. You can still get fresh fruit at the stores, I never really notice anything with that - it's still quickly shipped all over the country. You switch to your hot tea and cocoa and love it.

January is the worst of it when you're just over the whole thing. February is when people are over the cold weather aspect, but at the same time the knowledge that spring is on the doorstep makes the overall mood more upbeat than January.

People say how those that live up north have to deal with 6 months of winter or something. There is chilly to cold weather for 5 months of the year, but November and December are normally looked forward to for the reasons I mentioned, January and February are actually the bad months, and then March is a crapshoot and more optimistic. It's not "half a year", it's really around 2 months of doom and gloom.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Well, Montana isn't exactly Midwest. lol Oklahoma I went to for school for a year. Oklahoma is very open and treeless in spots but near as flat as I thought it would be. In fact outside Oklahoma City was downright hilly! I somehow met a guy that owned a bar/pool hall out in the middle of nowhere that I hung out at sometimes, but I didn't have a car so that was rare.

In California I lived and worked in Yosemite National Park. Now that was a huge shock to the system. Not only going from flat cornfields to a valley surrounded by 3,000 foot cliffs, but just the wide variety of people I met. I could talk a lot more but I don't want to derail this thread more than it's been. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.
Oh jeez, I guess my geography skills (or lack of) is showing. It's not fair of me to lump all of the states that do not occupy a coast line as the mid-west so thank you for correcting me.

I would love to hear more about your travels. I will make sure to PM you...thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post

March - Good grief, are we already having 80 degree days? We went from 60s to 80s seemingly overnight. Where is spring? I'd love to be outside, but there is all this yellow pollen covering everything that won't let me breathe without an inhaler.

April - Since the humidity has matched the temps, I'm sweating through my T shirts. Better go to the beach for a refreshing swim now before the water reaches 85 degrees as well. Eating outside in the evening is nice however . . . as long as I have citronella candles to chase away the mosquitoes.

May - It's heeeeer! Hot and humid days, so I'm taking the show indoors. I'm afraid of my AC bill.

June - I was right to be afraid of my AC bill. And now it's going to get worse. Sure is pretty-looking outside the windows. Wish I could enjoy being out there but "sweat-fest" is in full force. At least we have cable to entertain us. And all the bugs have come inside to keep us company.

July - OMG - I have to go to the store! The car seat was soooo hot when I got back in and sat on it. Ouch - so was the steering wheel! Hope the ice cream doesn't melt before I get home.

August - When is this going to end? 95 degrees and 90% humidity!!! Please don't make me cut the grass, honey! I'm a sticky mess after being outside only 5 minutes. And my AC bill

September - I'm so depressed. I just talked to my friends up north who are enjoying football under a crisp sun at 70 degrees. I went to the game yesterday, but no way was I going to tailgate. Get me inside that domed stadium ASAP! Even the evenings are still sticky.

October - It's supposed to be cool, right? The leaves are supposed to turn colors, right? The sun is supposed to stop beating down on me, right? I'd give anything to wear a light-weight jacket. And what's with all the brown pollen - thank goodness for my inhaler!

November - What a relief it is! It's so nice to finally be able to go outside again. Too bad daylight saving time is over and it's dark when I get home.

December - Let's turn up the AC so we can light a fire and get in the holiday spirit!!! "In the meadow we can build a snowman" . . . well, we can sing about it.

February - Hey, it's nice outside! Too bad this month only has 28 days. Maybe I can make a deal with my higher power: "I'll do anyting if you can keep March from rolling around again!"
That's great!!! It's funny to see a different perspective. I think October I may struggle with living in FL, lol. I do like the changing colors of the leaves and the crisp air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'd agree with almost all of it except:

December is usually the one month of winter that everyone loves. It's not freezing cold yet, it's still new and there's a novelty to it each year. The first few snows are celebrated, it's holiday season, Christmas markets, lights and decorations, Christmas parties at work and with friends, spending time with family. Most people will take a week or more off work at the end of December. You can still get fresh fruit at the stores, I never really notice anything with that - it's still quickly shipped all over the country. You switch to your hot tea and cocoa and love it.

January is the worst of it when you're just over the whole thing. February is when people are over the cold weather aspect, but at the same time the knowledge that spring is on the doorstep makes the overall mood more upbeat than January.

People say how those that live up north have to deal with 6 months of winter or something. There is chilly to cold weather for 5 months of the year, but November and December are normally looked forward to for the reasons I mentioned, January and February are actually the bad months, and then March is a crapshoot and more optimistic. It's not "half a year", it's really around 2 months of doom and gloom.
Hey, don't get me wrong - I absolutely love the holidays, the feelings that go with it, the first snowfall of the year (always always pretty), I dunno, just...magical, right? My OP was thinking about the weather and nothing else because December is always a joyous month regardless...not to mention it's also when my birthday falls

Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,294 times
Quote:
+1
February is the worst. In January, I think people usually still have the energy to deal with the cold, but by February, it starts really feeling like it's time for spring.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
+1
February is the worst. In January, I think people usually still have the energy to deal with the cold, but by February, it starts really feeling like it's time for spring.
Agreed. By February, it's like, enough already! This year, in particular, seems bad. We just had our biggest snowstorm of the entire winter this past Monday. We've had other storms this winter but when your first snowfall comes in early November and you still get your biggest snowstorm at the end of March, it feels like a winter that will never end, especially when the news keeps informing us how last year it was in the 70s and 80s right now.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
I agree that the only real bummer months for winter are February and March...especially March this year!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Agreed. By February, it's like, enough already! This year, in particular, seems bad. We just had our biggest snowstorm of the entire winter this past Monday. We've had other storms this winter but when your first snowfall comes in early November and you still get your biggest snowstorm at the end of March, it feels like a winter that will never end, especially when the news keeps informing us how last year it was in the 70s and 80s right now.
We were really spoiled last year! I remember two years ago, there was an 80-degree day in March, and then it snowed again on April 15th.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times
Sunshinecc - We all make our choices. I guess you like sinkholes. The area of Florida you are moving to has the most in the state. Florida has the most in the US. Good luck with that. At least you won't have to deal with snow, eh?!!!

Last edited by geebabe; 03-27-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
This is so true. To say that doom and depression has set in by December is as far off the mark as you can get. The joke doesn't work, as December is considered a "party" month even for people who don't usually go to parties during other times of the year. Everybody is out shopping like crazy too.

In the northeast, December is the most festive month and feels like a kind of "climax" of the year for sure. :-)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 03-27-2013 at 11:41 AM..

Old 03-27-2013, 11:53 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post

October - It's supposed to be cool, right? The leaves are supposed to turn colors, right? The sun is supposed to stop beating down on me, right? I'd give anything to wear a light-weight jacket. And what's with all this ragweed - thank goodness for my inhaler!

I really enjoyed this post. Humor and truth. Twenty-six years...ouch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
View detailed profiles of: