Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 02:42 AM

40 posts, read 67,714 times

Advertisements

All out there: Where are a few good towns for a youngish 54 yo female, newly divorced, alone in the world start a new life?? I need to feel safe since I am alone. Need to feel "wowed" by nature. Need to be able to afford to live alone. Want to find a place where it is okay to be alone. I currently live in Asheville. Its lovely, but unless you are part of a young couple and have children, you really are left out in the cold so to speak. I really need a change. Any geographical suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 12:56 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
If you want a similar area look over the border to the tri-cities area of TN.
Lower COL, no state income tax, similar climate (slightly warmer) and slightly older population in at least two of the cities. Scarcity of well paid jobs might be a concern though.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:30 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,890 times
"Where you can afford to live" is not a solid statement. What do you consider affordable?

Old 07-07-2012, 01:46 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingalloveragain View Post
All out there: Where are a few good towns for a youngish 54 yo female, newly divorced, alone in the world start a new life?? I need to feel safe since I am alone. Need to feel "wowed" by nature. Need to be able to afford to live alone. Want to find a place where it is okay to be alone. I currently live in Asheville. Its lovely, but unless you are part of a young couple and have children, you really are left out in the cold so to speak. I really need a change. Any geographical suggestions? Thanks.
Austin Texas may work due to having the same type of vibe, but it is much bigger. So, you may be able to find similar people in terms of age and interests.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:55 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times
This has Santa Fe written all over it. Lots of middle aged women relocate here to 'heal' or expand upon their spirituality or find their nitch in some creative outlet. Santa Fe draws artists, writers, and spiritual gurus. The high desert and mountain setting along with the long history, roots, and spiritual traditions of the Spaniard/Mexican Catholisism, Native American customs, some Budhist temples and meditation centers along with many outdoor opportunties and a dry sunny climate make it a draw for many starting over. It's definitely very different than any other city in the United States for sure.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:42 AM

40 posts, read 67,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
This has Santa Fe written all over it. Lots of middle aged women relocate here to 'heal' or expand upon their spirituality or find their nitch in some creative outlet. Santa Fe draws artists, writers, and spiritual gurus. The high desert and mountain setting along with the long history, roots, and spiritual traditions of the Spaniard/Mexican Catholisism, Native American customs, some Budhist temples and meditation centers along with many outdoor opportunties and a dry sunny climate make it a draw for many starting over. It's definitely very different than any other city in the United States for sure.
Thanks so much for the reply. I may plan a weekend out there to explore the potential.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:35 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,151 times
There are many places with Florida maybe at the top of the list.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:21 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
For a truly affordable place that's not touristy and offers a wealth of things to do in a spectacular setting, I would recommend Denver. There are several nice/safe in-town neighborhoods that would be well suited for you.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:41 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times
OP: My first instinct would be somewhere in Florida, especially since housing prices in a lot of Florida are so ridiculously cheap right now.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
OP: My first instinct would be somewhere in Florida, especially since housing prices in a lot of Florida are so ridiculously cheap right now.
I live in Florida and that is something of a myth. A few areas have "ridiculously cheap" housing but none have spectacular scenery as the OP had wished for and most if not all come with issues such as high foreclosure rates, higher crime and little to do in terms of leisure activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.