Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:47 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
What about cities that are good for single straight men who just want to be alone, not wanting anything to do or be bothered with the opposite gender?
Massachusetts will work for you if you can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 02:54 PM

542 posts, read 1,683,604 times
Denver, Anchorage, Boise, Boston

Old 07-28-2013, 03:01 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
Not necessarily. Just cause a city has more quantity does not mean it's better. DC will appeal to guys looking for a different type of women then say Nashville. You'll get more professional, over-achieving, independent types then Nashville where woman may be more traditional.
Yes the Boston and DC environments will appeal to men looking for a solid financial partner as the cities have a good number of working women in fields like law, higher education and finance but for a strong, traditional relationship the cities leave much to be desired. Of course it should be noted that women with high paying jobs are not necessarily living on solid financial footing. I once knew a woman who made $150K/yr and lived rent free with her elderly mother. She was perpetually broke. Would you take that on for the sake of companionship?

I would not leave the south or west to come to the northeast if your primary motive is finding women to date.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:46 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
According to Best Cities for Single Men the list is:

1. Boston, MA
2. Baltimore, MD
3. Washington D.C.
4. Philadelphia, PA
5. Denver, CO
6. Fort Worth, TX
7. Seattle, WA
8. Chicago, IL
9. San Francisco, CA
10. Indianapolis, IN

What do you guys think? As a 27-year-old male who has been single for too long and is picking a new city this is a pretty important factor for me.

rule of thumb for a single male is the further west you move the more competition you'll encounter. this is especially true if you live in towns / cities that have military bases in or nearby.

cities that are strong academically (meaning multiple universities) and are on the east coast are good places if you're a single guy.

i made the mistake of moving to greenville, sc which is home to 3 large engineering / manufacturing employers (GE, Michelin and BMW) and was once home to an air force base. competition among single guys is fierce because there are tons of us. i woman i teach with, her husband works for GE and says he has a tough time keeping young guys out of college in greenville due to this very reason.

columbia, sc - home to USC and very little in the way of manufacturing but is home to a major army base (Fort Jackson) is a little bit better from what i'm told.

Charleston, SC - buddy of mine who lived there for a few years before moving to greenville once told me that a single guy lives in charleston to date and moves to greenville once he gets married haha. charleston is kind of odd too though b/c it has a relatively large manufacturing and military presence but has a major state school located right downtown (College of Charleston) and every time i visit my parents down there i always see hundreds of 20 something year old young ladies walking / running around the downtown.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:53 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
According to Best Cities for Single Men the list is:

1. Boston, MA
2. Baltimore, MD
3. Washington D.C.
4. Philadelphia, PA
5. Denver, CO
6. Fort Worth, TX
7. Seattle, WA
8. Chicago, IL
9. San Francisco, CA
10. Indianapolis, IN

What do you guys think? As a 27-year-old male who has been single for too long and is picking a new city this is a pretty important factor for me.

this map is circa 2006 but take what you will from it

A singles map of the United States of America - The Boston Globe

Old 07-28-2013, 07:03 PM

12 posts, read 23,169 times
Hmmm... I would go with...

• Portland
  • San Diego
  • Denver
  • Dallas
  • Seattle

Old 07-28-2013, 07:09 PM

109 posts, read 157,003 times
I can't verify or un-verify any city on your current list, but I've got a suggestion: Miami. It's the epicenter of pop culture on the entire east coast, perfect for young people. And also, you like Latinas? Because Miami has plenty of hot Latinas from all over the Latin American world. I like Latinas...

Old 07-28-2013, 07:13 PM

12 posts, read 23,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightleopard654 View Post
I can't verify or un-verify any city on your current list, but I've got a suggestion: Miami. It's the epicenter of pop culture on the entire east coast, perfect for young people. And also, you like Latinas? Because Miami has plenty of hot Latinas from all over the Latin American world. I like Latinas...

Just be sure you're protected. Miami is currently the top city for HIV/AIDS according to the CDC.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:17 PM

109 posts, read 157,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun82 View Post
Just be sure you're protected. Miami is currently the top city for HIV/AIDS according to the CDC.
Oh, yeah, that's good advice no matter what city you're in.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:53 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
I'd be hard pressed to think anywhere is better than NYC. The social scene is unparralled. There are work lunches, happy hours, and every type of nightlife from neighborhood bars to high end nightclubs. All types of girls move here, from career driven women to models. My gym is in soho, and it is just the types of girls you don't normally see anywhere else. I'd say NYC b/c of all the situations throughout every day living that put you in constant touch with females.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.