Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:32 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,081,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Well, Austin's downtown is actually getting more residential and retail (though SA still will have more downtown retail overall). River North isn't in DT SA either.

its downtown SA,Mr Houston, what do u know? Do i have to put you in your place again!lol jk.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 11-09-2007 at 01:51 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Louisville's metro is closer to 1.25 million actually. SA is doing well for itself but is very behind, especially considering its an over 2 million metro. I think Austin has hurt SA.

How is San Antonio's downtown be way behind any downtown its size?t might not have a huge Skyline but it makes up with ammenties.

It has one of the most active downtowns in the U.S.You tell me what downtown is tons more active than San Antonio's in i'ts size range? Not many in the 2 plus million range.

Would you say Houston being so big would have a busier downtown than San Antonio's night and day.I doubt that highly!!!!!!!

Busy night downtown S.A.

YouTube - Riverwalk Hotel room

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 11-09-2007 at 03:10 AM..

Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,384,201 times
^^ You probably haven't been to Main Street Houston on a Friday/Saturday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
its downtown SA,Mr Houston, what do u know? Do i have to put you in your place again!lol jk.
No it isn't. River North is outside of Downtown's boundaries. At another forum, many from SA discussed this and came to a conclusion that it is outside what the City of SA calls Downtown.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
^^ You probably haven't been to Main Street Houston on a Friday/Saturday night.

No it isn't. River North is outside of Downtown's boundaries. At another forum, many from SA discussed this and came to a conclusion that it is outside what the City of SA calls Downtown.
The conclusion was that it is apart of the downtown core.It will be an extension of the Riverwalk reaching musuems new housing and the Downtown Pearl Brewery development.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:26 PM

Columbus looks great.Those are some nice condos or apt's.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:55 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,653,817 times
Quote:
Outside Austin, Las Vegas, and Nashville, there are not many metros in the under 3 million range with this activity
And that is where I think you are flat out wrong, maybe you have read more national press releases, or you see more attention for those cities on these kind of sites, but MANY metros under 3 million are seeing massive urban growth. Columbus can fit right into the growth of Louisville, Austin, or Nashville, you just haven't researched whats going on in Columbus, thus your only uninformed. And it doesn't stop at Columbus, Charlotte is under 3million and is seeing a lot of growth, Raleigh is, Indianapolis is, its not just 3 metros under 3 million, theres many growing metros in that range with downtown growth.

Quote:
Quote:
Look at the projects in Louisville. You obviously didn't look at my links. If Columbus has projects that tall and big (like 62 stories) going up in its downtown, I would like to know about it! How many 250 million plus developments are going on in downtown Columbus? I am not talking about small little rehabs. There is so many of those in Louisville and any decent growing older city that its impossible to mention them all.
Columbus has condo tower infill all over the central city. Just because Columbus doesn't have one 62 story tall tower doesn't mean that the city isn't seeing a major downtown growth pattern. If you added up all of the other infill and smaller towers they would be of that same unit value of a 62 story tower. A 62 story tower is not the only sign of downtown population gain.

As do many other growing cities, from 02 to now Columbus' downtown population did increase by 1,000. Many cities around the US are seeing the same growth.

And this has happened in a lot of other downtown. I still don't consider these places the "most" booming downtowns in the US though. That still goes to the central cities of maybe Atlanta or Charlotte. I don't know if Austin's downtown construction is really enough of a boom, its still pretty residential based, a boom needs Corporate relocations, and new office, only highrises. I still don't think Louisville, Denver, or Columbus, although seeing downtown growth, are booming in downtown on all levels office, retail, residential, and at a massive rate nationally.

Here is a site with a pretty good run down Of Columbus' developments,
Central & Southeast Ohio Projects & Construction

Some Columbus central city/downtown infill that's been built since 02 or later

This condo tower is in the finishing phase, it sits in the Arena District

This is a 22 story condo tower, Miranova (on the right):

http://urbanohio.com/gallery/cache/Central%20Ohio/Columbus/Skyscrapers/IMG_1757.jpg_595.jpg (broken link)

And there's many like this in mid-rise category
Caryles Watch
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1911.0;attach=3473 ;image (broken link)

And this is an example of a turn of the century mid-rise that is an office/condo redo, the building was empty for years before this remodel. There's many like this around downtown as well.

This is a condo infill in Columbus' Short North

And then you have massive infill projects, that take up whole city blocks like this one called the "South Campus Gateway"

The Arena District is sq. miles of urban infill that's based around Columbus' downtown NHL arena, its mixed use, and isn't proposed but was built totally out of scratch, minus one or two buildings that were a reuse.
Apartments to the very back, retail to your right, and offices above,

Cleverly placed Apartment infill in the Arena District, Arena Crossing

Office/retail infll on a park, in the Arena District

The arena

Residential Condos in the Arena District

OF course Columbus has many warehouse conversions on going...
This is the Buggyworks

Redone department store into offices, back downtown

60 spring infill

The Brunson Infill

Short North Infill

This is now condos/and apartments, its quite a large older building, was once a hotel

Now condos, rehab project

This one's actually a 70s office conversion

There is a lot of brown field rebuilding in central columbus, this entire mining site is now rehabs and a complete new build muilt-use project, there's a lot of this going on in central Chicago too, entire industrial site conversion is very interesting I think, there's several large projects like this going in central Columbus

Ohio Loft, mixed use
BEFORE

AFTER

And as you tell i have stuck to only some of what has been built, this is some of what's coming
Time Tower, next condo tower infill over 20 stories
http://cll.bizjournals.com/story_image/82939-400-0.jpg?rev=2 (broken link)

As you can tell the list can go on and on, I have barely scratched the surface of Columbus' urban infill of today, and it's the same with many other central cities around America.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Dang, Columbus is lookin up! Looks good!

Old 11-09-2007, 03:01 PM

Columbus has some cool buildings.San Antonio's downtown living is a lot of historic building conversions, of course the new stuff as well.You won't find hardly any vacant historic buidings.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 11-09-2007 at 03:09 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 03:43 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,384,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
The conclusion was that it is apart of the downtown core.It will be an extension of the Riverwalk reaching musuems new housing and the Downtown Pearl Brewery development.
No it wasn't.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:30 PM

yes it was brat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.