U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,463,953 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'll try to keep this short and to the point. I've been really looking into getting outs my home state of Montana doe some time now, esoecially within the last year. I'm a computer, video game geek that also specializes in the IT industry and I'm trying to sort out my options were I could move to to start the next stage od my early 30s bachelor hood in a city that has a lot more gaming, computer, hipster and essential nerds thst I can meet up with, make new friends and hopefully find that special geek gal as well.

I have pondered the Portland area for over a decade as I do Iike through landscape, city size, nice balance of large population but not huge and crowded like Seattle. It's basically a really big version of Missoula from where I am from. I however am finding more information pointing to the job market in Portland very tight and poor and even more so for the IT industry seems to be all networking based and filled, with jobs rarely hitting the public. I am also aware is the weather in the area, but growing up in Montana with our insane unreliable weather, I don't see it as much of an issue as I'm not much of a outdoors person anymore after years of doing it in a Montana.

I have also been hearing thst Austin Texas a booming center for the IT industry and growing rapidly with lots of people in my age category. The major draw back is thst I would be very far away from my family in the Northwest area and would not be used to the extreme heat and humidity that apparently makes or breaks people in Texas.

I am essentially looking for a city that a has a large populace of geek minded people thst I can meet at tech and gaming conventions, like PAX, quake con, E3, cosplay, anime shows and dress up as well as large LAN computer parties with big sponsors like a Intel, AND, nvidia, antec, among others. I wanna be able to find more gals thst are career oriented and don't wanna raise kids like me and would much rather find someone special and have fun and explore the world together and if she's a geek too, so much the better. In really partial to Asian gals especially.

I say no to anything on California as I hear nothing but horror stories from that state. Everything from complete economic collapse, the high crime and gang activity, very high living costs with poor job market pay to compare,, insane traffic and pollution, all the the way to the big earthquake thst will basically sink the state into the Pacific. About the only good things I hear about cali is the weather and some specific job markets. Beyond that, I honestly don't think I could fit in and handle those huge towns. I haven't visited cali personally, but the negative news about it over the years has basically scared this Montanan stiff.

Thst all being said, does anyone else have suggestions for cities that would have more of what I'm looking for as a single and geeky early 30s male bachelor to start the next stage of is personal and career life in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 01:46 AM

1,978 posts, read 2,636,938 times
You've named the two cities that came to my mind first: Seattle and Portland.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:08 AM

19,799 posts, read 27,284,474 times
I'd recommend the Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC. The I-270 Tech Corridor from Bethesda north to Frederick has a huge population of young professional "geeks" and a significant Asian population as well. The area is largely suburban with pockets of office parks and corporate-looking downtown areas that are clean and not overly congested. Traffic along I-270 can get ugly at rush hour but that's usually the extent of it and not a widespread phenomenon at all hours everywhere in the area.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:35 AM

3,054 posts, read 3,329,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
I am essentially looking for a city that a has a large populace of geek minded people thst I can meet at tech and gaming conventions, like PAX, quake con, E3, cosplay, anime shows and dress up as well as large LAN computer parties with big sponsors like a Intel, AND, nvidia, antec, among others. I wanna be able to find more gals thst are career oriented and don't wanna raise kids like me and would much rather find someone special and have fun and explore the world together and if she's a geek too, so much the better. In really partial to Asian gals especially.
Out of the conventions you listed PAX is only in Seattle and Boston, Comicons are in San Diego and New York. As for E3, it is run by ESA, so it is not open to general public, you have to be in the industry to get the tickets. Things like IEM (Intel Extreme Masters) are international and they change venues each event and most of them are not in the United States. MLG (Major League Gaming) has events throughout United States, but Portland is a pretty rare venue. I believe Portland only hosted an MLG event once.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 AM

31,477 posts, read 52,117,450 times
Quote:
I say no to anything on California
Its probably too competitive for you anyway, go somewhere less demanding.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,561 posts, read 38,438,464 times
Boston, especially by Cambridge, has more than its fair share of geekiness. And the subway stop by MIT has a science demo!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:45 AM

8,538 posts, read 5,073,653 times
Quote:

I say no to anything on California as I hear nothing but horror stories from that state. Everything from complete economic collapse, the high crime and gang activity, very high living costs with poor job market pay to compare,, insane traffic and pollution, all the the way to the big earthquake thst will basically sink the state into the Pacific. About the only good things I hear about cali is the weather and some specific job markets. Beyond that, I honestly don't think I could fit in and handle those huge towns. I haven't visited cali personally, but the negative news about it over the years has basically scared this Montanan stiff.
No offense, but you sound more like a hick than a geek.

As for geeky cities, Oaklahoma City and Arizona are options too.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM

11,393 posts, read 17,406,309 times
Raleigh/Cary is another great option. There's a huge tech scene and gaming company employment opportunities in the area with Epic Games HQ.
Careers | Epic Games
Triangle Games Meetup Group (Cary, NC) - Meetup

Old 03-25-2013, 03:17 PM

1,978 posts, read 2,636,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Out of the conventions you listed PAX is only in Seattle and Boston, Comicons are in San Diego and New York.
Seattle has Emerald City Comicon every year, too. As you can see from these pics, people dress up: http://www.geekwire.com/2013/100-awe...-comicon-2013/

Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,463,953 times
Good info so far. Washington is to far east for my liking, Boston is too big and scary and if not come across as a hick, yeah well I'm used to be labeled, even if being incorrect. Sounds like staying in the Portland, Seattle area is my best bet despite the crap weather. Either that or Austin Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or