U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM

559 posts, read 1,122,792 times

Advertisements

There are many threads about boring places - let's try something different.

I've only lived in Los Angeles but I feel that there are more than enough entertainment, educational and recreational options to keep anyone from being bored. Even restricted to free or low cost options such as free museum days, film screenings, free concerts, car shows, gallery openings, ethnic festivals, lectures, book signings, TV show tapings, going to the beach, hiking the local mountains, parks, etc., there is enough to occupy every single weekend if not day for the foreseeable future. There are enough museums that once you make the rounds of all of them, there will be new exhibits to start the whole cycle over. Ditto with restaurants, there are always new ones popping up somewhere. When I used to go see bands, it was often a big problem to decide which one of multiple clubs to hit. It feels inexhaustible.

But LA is a big city in a huge metro so this is not surprising; everything is probably available manifold times than the minimum requirement. I'm sure NYC and Chicago are in the same boat. What is the smallest city or metro that you think can offer a similar feeling?

I do hear about people who get bored in LA because the traffic limits them to a small radius so if you want to factor that in, please do and explain.

Of course I'm assuming someone with reasonably well-rounded interests. If all you like are new theme park attractions, even LA or Orlando will soon bore you. And young singles have different interests than families or seniors so try to cover the whole demographic spectrum.

On a side note, I'm surprised at how many medium or small cities have symphonies, opera companies and fine art museums. How do they support all those musicians and big performance spaces?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,627,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
There are many threads about boring places - let's try something different.

I've only lived in Los Angeles but I feel that there are more than enough entertainment, educational and recreational options to keep anyone from being bored. Even restricted to free or low cost options such as free museum days, film screenings, free concerts, car shows, gallery openings, ethnic festivals, lectures, book signings, TV show tapings, going to the beach, hiking the local mountains, parks, etc., there is enough to occupy every single weekend if not day for the foreseeable future. There are enough museums that once you make the rounds of all of them, there will be new exhibits to start the whole cycle over. Ditto with restaurants, there are always new ones popping up somewhere. When I used to go see bands, it was often a big problem to decide which one of multiple clubs to hit. It feels inexhaustible.

But LA is a big city in a huge metro so this is not surprising; everything is probably available manifold times than the minimum requirement. I'm sure NYC and Chicago are in the same boat. What is the smallest city or metro that you think can offer a similar feeling?

I do hear about people who get bored in LA because the traffic limits them to a small radius so if you want to factor that in, please do and explain.

Of course I'm assuming someone with reasonably well-rounded interests. If all you like are new theme park attractions, even LA or Orlando will soon bore you. And young singles have different interests than families or seniors so try to cover the whole demographic spectrum.

On a side note, I'm surprised at how many medium or small cities have symphonies, opera companies and fine art museums. How do they support all those musicians and big performance spaces?
I found lots to do in the Central coast area of California. I stayed in Monterey and between Monterey and the surrounding area, there was plenty to do for not a huge population.
I don't see it being that big of a deal that a medium sized city would have symphonies or art museums. I'm in a medium sized metro of just over a million people and that's plenty to support these institutions.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 AM

1,582 posts, read 4,287,493 times
for me in general under 5 million metro would bore me within time...though there are "mid sized" metros that pack more punch for their size, with recreational advantages-places like San Diego or for instance Seattle when I lived there- was smaller than I like and am used to- but I know lots of ppl who kept busy doing nature things (not me- I am not outdoorsy at all).

Atlanta, Dallas and Houston are larger metros but more suburban nature so I can imagine they may not be of appeal to some for long- but I like those places myself, I find I will be able to keep myself busy where people are actually friendly!

Old 03-29-2013, 08:17 AM

10,553 posts, read 13,109,387 times
About 5 million people and up.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
It really depends on the person.

Some people want NYC and some are fine with a small town. This will differ for each person

For me I would probably say a metro of 5 Million plus will generally do the trick, yet many smaller ones are also very good.

And even within these larger metros proximity can play a role. For example if living in the Philly area in the Western burbs I would not be happy even in a 6 million metro; yet there are small towns in considerably smaller metros that would be more appealing in many ways.

I dont think there is truly a size that captures the answer; as within each metro the specific location will really play a role (large or small metros)

Old 03-29-2013, 09:00 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,038,856 times
It depends. Different people have different standards for what it takes to stay entertained. There are also some smaller cities more interesting than larger ones.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM

17,226 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Really, the only place in the U.S. where I find it IMPOSSIBLE to get bored is New York City. It is a never-ending bombardment of the senses. Everywhere else, the level of activity is such that sooner or later you run out of interesting things to keep you occupied and have to create them for yourself.

This is my experience and opinion.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 AM

5,612 posts, read 6,085,781 times
I'm willing to go down to 2.5 million if there is an urban core with some density in neighborhoods of 7k ppsm. A true test is if there's no water front, no department store and pro sports facilities downtown then I won't move there. The city has to have culture. There has to be a unique museum that is well known.

I've lived in smaller areas like Memphis and Charlotte and it was too small. St.Louis and Baltimore is the size breaking point for me. Providence is the only exception.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 03-29-2013 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: add statement to complete thought

Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
For me, I dont think I could live in a metro smaller than 5 million, but that isnt because I think its boring, I just prefer the larger ones.

I think you can find stuff to do even in the smaller metros. I had to spend 3 weeks in Cedar Rapids and its a small place, and I was never really bored. Best Czech food Ive ever had.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 AM

1,446 posts, read 2,287,821 times
One thing to keep in mind is that metros of similar sizes can feel very different. For instance Raleigh and New Orleans have very similar metro populations, but very different amounts of activities.

With that caveat, I'd say my personal floor on the metro size is about a million people. I live in a city/metro smaller than that now, and there isn't quite as much variety of restaurants, activities, neighborhoods, etc as I would like. I also prefer a place that has at least a couple of pro sports teams. I certainly don't need to be in a New York city, or even a Washington, DC. I think a place around 1-3 million is just right for me. New Orleans, Nashville, Austin, maybe Charlotte are all places I could see myself. Big enough that there is a lot going on and you can find some vibrant areas, but small enough that people aren't completely stacked on top of each other and you can see some wide open spaces when you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.