Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:06 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,178 times

Advertisements

No other region in this country has stronger (and more vocal) supporters. The Southern US has a VERY distinct set of traits that make it worthy of it's own forum. Everything from music, cuisine, history, religion, politics, clothing and all in between. The South has more threads on the "General US" than any other region...It would be easier to consolidate them all into one forum. I know that when I go to the General US section...I'm only looking for threads about the South because it's the only region in the country I care about and I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't A LOT more like me.

Does anyone agree at all or do you yall think the general US forum should suffice?

Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Something tells me this thread is trying to stir the pot.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:12 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
No. Then you'd need forums for every other large region, which would cut off alot of intermingling as people would be exposed to less topics about the country in general.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Something tells me this thread is trying to stir the pot.
Nothing ever got done without a little stirring.

I'd like to see a thread for the south and I want to see if anyone agrees...it's literally listed on the General US forum all the time...much more than any other region.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No. Then you'd need forums for every other large region, which would cut off alot of intermingling as people would be exposed to less topics about the country in general.
I don't think so...You don't see as many people asking "Which states are truly Northwestern," or is "Rhode Island REALLY New England," or "Which state is the most Southwestern."

The regional pride that you see in the South just doesn't exist elsewhere.

"More than any other part of America, the South stands apart...Thousands of Northerners and foreigners have migrated to it...but Southerners they will not become. For this is still a place where you must have either been born or have "people" there, to feel it is your native ground. Natives will tell you this. They are proud to be Americans, but they are also proud to be Virginians, South Carolini...ans, Tennesseans, and Texans. But they are conscious of another loyalty too, one that transcends the usual ties of national patriotism and state pride. It is a loyalty to a place where habits are strong and memories are long. If those memories could speak, they would tell stories of a region powerfully shaped by its history and determined to pass it on to future generations."

-Tim Jacobson, "Heritage of the South."

Old 04-01-2013, 12:57 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Its the General US forum as in General United States.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
No other region in this country has stronger (and more vocal) supporters. The Southern US has a VERY distinct set of traits that make it worthy of it's own forum. Everything from music, cuisine, history, religion, politics, clothing and all in between. The South has more threads on the "General US" than any other region...It would be easier to consolidate them all into one forum. I know that when I go to the General US section...I'm only looking for threads about the South because it's the only region in the country I care about and I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't A LOT more like me.

Does anyone agree at all or do you yall think the general US forum should suffice?
TOTALLY agree with you!

BUT? As invariably arises, the drawback is that there will undoubtably be disagreement on just exactly what states are "Southern". Hell, I am a 4th generation native Texan with Deep South ancestry...and have friends and distant kin in Mississippi and Alabama who do not even include Louisiana and South Carolina as part of the "true South". *throws up hands in despair! LOL)

In any event, I am all for the idea of a seperate Southern forum. As is said and so true, there is no region of the country with such a unique history and sense of identity as the Southern United States.

So ok...who wants to start it? I will fully support it. So far as who and/or what states/people belong in it? Well, I would say just leave it open-ended. According to the most extensive surveys/studies ever done, then the majority of folks in the 11 Old Confederate States, plus Kentucky and Oklahoma..with West Virginia on the borderline (no pun intended! LOL) identify as living in the South and considering themselves Southerners.

BUT? To be fair. There are people in other border states that may feel themselves firmly Southern too.

So, to wrap up this speel of mine? Let the forum be (if it comes to fruition) a place where all who feel themselves Southern ARE Southern, and welcome!

How does that sound to y'all?

Old 04-01-2013, 02:00 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No! We don't want any Yankees snoopin' around in our forum!
*please note sarcasm*

Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
TOTALLY agree with you!

BUT? As invariably arises, the drawback is that there will undoubtably be disagreement on just exactly what states are "Southern". Hell, I am a 4th generation native Texan with Deep South ancestry...and have friends and distant kin in Mississippi and Alabama who do not even include Louisiana and South Carolina as part of the "true South". *throws up hands in despair! LOL)

In any event, I am all for the idea of a seperate Southern forum. As is said and so true, there is no region of the country with such a unique history and sense of identity as the Southern United States.

So ok...who wants to start it? I will fully support it. So far as who and/or what states/people belong in it? Well, I would say just leave it open-ended. According to the most extensive surveys/studies ever done, then the majority of folks in the 11 Old Confederate States, plus Kentucky and Oklahoma..with West Virginia on the borderline (no pun intended! LOL) identify as living in the South and considering themselves Southerners.

BUT? To be fair. There are people in other border states that may feel themselves firmly Southern too.

So, to wrap up this speel of mine? Let the forum be (if it comes to fruition) a place where all who feel themselves Southern ARE Southern, and welcome!

How does that sound to y'all?
>>>>>
Hell, I am a 4th generation native Texan with Deep South ancestry...and have friends and distant kin in Mississippi and Alabama who do not even include Louisiana and South Carolina as part of the "true South".
<<<<<

Good thing they've got a brash Texan and his Okie friend to set 'em straight!

Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
And the forum would see the daily creation of vicious argument threads about whether threads about Maryland or Texas were on-topic there. Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.