U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 AM

318 posts, read 457,556 times

Advertisements

My home State's (Virginia) scenery can be beautiful if you come at the right time of year.

But without snow on the ground in my opinion there is really no scenery in most of America from November to late March.

The trees are bare and brown, the grass is brown, no flowers to speak of, the sky is grey and the mood dismal.

I have relatives come to visit me over their Spring Break (Mid March) who want to come and see Virginia's beautiful scenery and I BEG THEM to reconsider and not come out then. I tell them the best time to come to Virginia is May, September and October. With the flowering trees, flowers, green grass and beautiful weather of Spring or the fall colors of October.

But to me there was no scenery at all in our travels over Virginia in Mid March. But come in May and the same country road that seemed so bleak and barren will be so beautiful.

So... how is the scenery in your State come winter time if there is no snow on the ground? Is it scenic in winter in your State?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 AM

857 posts, read 1,612,777 times
In Alaska, yes of course. But we do get the "brown season" that you describe - in April through early May, as well as late September through most of October. Definitely not the time to visit.

I grew up in Western Washington, and winters are much greener and prettier than in most of the country, despite the clouds and rain. Fall colors aren't until November and some leaves start popping out in February.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:33 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,406,248 times
My home state of Oregon is always green due to the constant rain, plus the fact that there are lots of evergreens. Only downfall is the fact that there's constant clouds and rain.
East Texas also stays green most of the year due to the many pine trees and relatively mild winter.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:05 PM

Yes, places with lots of palm and pine trees can be scenic in the winter but I was thinking about places like Ohio, Virginia, Kentucky and other cold weather places that does not have lots of snow in the winter, but instead six months of grey skies and brown grass and bare trees. Are they scenic in the winter?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
The Gulf Coast is very unattractive in late fall and winter. Even lawns turn brown, and deciduous trees lose their leaves and are bare. Even though most days can be in the 70s, and there is plenty of sun, it looks very barren. There is never a snow cover. But winter is short, and the trees are already leafed out by late March. Because it can stay warm through the winter, there is no "sudden spring" when yon notice a nice mild day with the trees greening.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:42 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,628,321 times
Yes, Iowa is sometimes more beautiful in winter than in summer.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Yes, Iowa is sometimes more beautiful in winter than in summer.
Yes, maybe after a snow storm when the sun is out and everything is so bright from the snow. But I have spent lots of time in the winter in Iowa and without snow it is really ugly.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,628,321 times
There are very few times in winter in the Upper Midwest when there is not snow on the ground.
And sunny winter days are not at all uncommon.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,724,791 times
I'm on MD's eastern shore. Lots of corn and bean fields which of course are bare in the winter unless covered with winter wheat which gives a touch of green. And we get very little snow so nothing special here. If it snows any you gotta be quick to take a peak because it'll be gone real soon. Though the low lying marshes, beaches, or winter wheat green fields covered in even just a dusting of snow can be right pretty. It was really pretty a couple years ago when we did get a couple large snow storms where it actually stayed on the ground for a few days. I did a lot of driving around looking at the scenery we usually don't get to see.

Our area has a different kind of beauty though. The flocks of canada and snow geese in the fields, plenty of deer and no shortage of hawks and eagles add to the landscape. There are enough holly's and pines and assorted other evergreens to give some winter green, though there are a lot of areas which are all deciduous and bare. A lot of corn fields here do get winter wheat grown as a cover crop so that can add some green fields even though all grass has turned brown.

The marshes have there own kind of beauty and since there not very green to begin with it isn't much different in the winter. Same thing with the beaches. Plenty of bays, and coves with the salt marshes as well as some winding cypress filled rivers to add a unique touch as well.

Overall, what I find ugly here in the winter is the sky. There is a lot of grayness to it in the winter where it looks like it'll snow but it doesn't. And that sea breeze which is our friend in the summer really sucks in the winter and can make what would otherwise be a decent day cold and miserable.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:58 PM

346 posts, read 794,521 times
Arizona is always beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or