Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 PM

389 posts, read 920,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy771 View Post
If you're preferring to see the south this year, then Texas is your only option. I'd say explore it, the other cities in the list are pretty close to Chicago.
texas cities or miami, fl? how is galveston? miami is most likely the best option for me in south other than LA and GC, AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
My first visit to the deep south was from MI to AL in July. Talk about humidity, it was like being slapped in the face with a wet washcloth and breathing was difficult for days until I adjusted.
If you aren't used to it, it can be brutal, and I would not go that route during the summer. Stick with east or west, avoid south unless you know you can manage it in May.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 PM

93,259 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
Wouldnt be visiting cape cod nearly as identical experience as west michigan beaches except closer to a larger city? I wonder what is unique about cape cod.
Take the ferry to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket from Hyannis. Perhaps a trip to Plymouth could added as well.

Another option could be the 1000 Islands on the NY/Ontario border and you could take in the nightlife in Ottawa.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My first visit to the deep south was from MI to AL in July. Talk about humidity, it was like being slapped in the face with a wet washcloth and breathing was difficult for days until I adjusted.
If you aren't used to it, it can be brutal, and I would not go that route during the summer. Stick with east or west, avoid south unless you know you can manage it in May.
How about Alaska

Anchorage Photos - Featured Images of Anchorage, AK - TripAdvisor

Old 04-06-2013, 09:10 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Gorgeous!

Old 04-08-2013, 05:35 PM

205 posts, read 503,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
Wouldnt be visiting cape cod nearly as identical experience as west michigan beaches except closer to a larger city? I wonder what is unique about cape cod.
I've never been to Michigan, so I'm not sure how similar it is, but you could be right. I only mentioned it because you said that you like beaches but weren't crazy about them. I read that as, you like some time at a beach but didn't want purely a beach vacation. Cape Cod does have a maritime history, if that's of any interest.

Have a great vacation!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times
maybe consider a pacific northwest trip from late june to late sept -weather is nice, usually 70's with low humidity and little rain--dont need a car and 3 cities close by to visit
Seattle, Portland, Vancouver BC---all beautiful with good downtowns, good public transit (by USA standards)-no rental car needed and plenty of sights (fly into 1 and take an express bus like boltbus or amtrak between the 3-portland and vancouver only a 2.5 hour bus/train ride from seattle))

Old 04-09-2013, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
maybe consider a pacific northwest trip from late june to late sept -weather is nice, usually 70's with low humidity and little rain--dont need a car and 3 cities close by to visit
Seattle, Portland, Vancouver BC---all beautiful with good downtowns, good public transit (by USA standards)-no rental car needed and plenty of sights (fly into 1 and take an express bus like boltbus or amtrak between the 3-portland and vancouver only a 2.5 hour bus/train ride from seattle))
I hate buses, and there is no such thing as American standard for public transit, New York City extensive well developed public transit is very different from Los Angeles.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:40 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times
Well I am sorry I wasted my time trying to assist a rude person like you-(it was just a suggestion)It is people who make comments like you just posted that discourage people from posting on this forum (I mean if you are going to take some time to try to possibly help someone and they make comments like yours-then why bother?)-by the way all buses are not terrible-boltbus is an express bus with comfortable seats and free wi-fi and a fairly pleasant ride. What I meant by USA standards is that public transport in the US is generally sub par compared to other places such as Asia or Europe (most cities in the US do not have transit nearly as good as new york) I was not insinuating that there is 1 standard of quality that applies to all public transit systems in the USA-by the way-public transit in LA-while not great might not be as as bad as you think)
L.A.’s Transit Revolution

http://www.slate.com/articles/busine...sit_city_.html

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 04-09-2013 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: typo-add more information

Old 04-09-2013, 10:54 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
In that time period its hard to beat the west coast for weather. Beside that, I'd look at New England. Save Miami for winter/spring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.