Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Memphis has a rich musical heritage and some cool history, but IMO it wouldn't be as nice a place to live. The economy there is weaker than the two other cities, and there isn't as much going on there as in Nashville or New Orleans. There are definitely some positives, but in general I didn't find the people as friendly as in NOLA or Nashville. Memphis also has a higher crime rate that NOLA or Nashville.
Hmm, good to know. I always had a blast in Memphis (been a few times) but I was younger, more inclined to drink, and more inclined to stay up late partying on Beale Street. I'm not so interested in that kind of stuff anymore. I remember thinking it was pretty and the locals were friendly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I am thinking Austin might be a fit. My impression is one of a sometime visitor who has spent time in the Austin forum, so it might not be completely accurate. Your housing budget may be a problem, as the most adult-oriented housing areas near downtown are also the most expensive. The Austin forum could steer you better than I can.

Remember that Google Fiber coming to Austin and you, working remotely in IT, could benefit directly from that.

In the San Antonio forum, we often tell visitors that San Antonio is more family-friendly than Austin and that Austin is the better place for young singles. Since you want a less family-oriented place, I can't in good conscience suggest San Antonio until you've ruled out Austin. San Antonio does have a fairly low violent crime rate. There's just a lot of property crime, with smash-and-grab vehicle burglaries being common in certain parts of town.
I think Austin 20 years ago would have been a fit, for sure! I went to UT-Austin and lived in Austin a total of six non-consecutive years. (Four for college, left, came back for another two, left again.) When I visit Austin now I just can't stand what it has become; it's too crowded and trendy.

What about San Marcos? I've only driven through it a couple of times off the interstate and it looked pretty enough...kinda podunk and college-y, but I was headed to the Texas State campus so I haven't seen all of it.

It is pretty though. I miss the beauty of the place; Dallas is hideous.

As for San Antonio...no. I have some relatives there and have visited it several times a year for most of my life. I'm sure some people love living there, but I don't think I would like it. I do enjoy visiting it, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Thanks, but you don't know me.
Ive read you complain about this topic for years. You arent silent about how much you hate it here and what you hate about Dallas. So I feel like I might as well know you, at least regarding this topic.

Its in that spirit that I say you will hate New Orleans. However, along the same lines, you might enjoy the Mississippi/Alabama Gulf Coast.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
What about San Marcos? I've only driven through it a couple of times off the interstate and it looked pretty enough...kinda podunk and college-y, but I was headed to the Texas State campus so I haven't seen all of it.

It is pretty though. I miss the beauty of the place; Dallas is hideous.

As for San Antonio...no. I have some relatives there and have visited it several times a year for most of my life. I'm sure some people love living there, but I don't think I would like it. I do enjoy visiting it, though!
I see your points about Austin and understand. We're probably close to the same age.

Not sure I have a good enough grasp of San Marcos to advise you. Yes, it's a college town and yes, it is scenic. The thing that concerns me, if I were making this choice, is that those counties adjacent to Austin are among the fastest-growing in the entire state. They've all experienced plenty of growth in the last 10 years. If you're not turned off by that and you think you might like San Marcos, it might be worth your while to do some asking in the Austin forum here. Maybe you'd like Pflugerville or Bee Cave or Round Rock or Dripping Springs or Bastrop more? They're all a little closer to the heart of the metro area and they're all part of the phenomenal growth in the area.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Ive read you complain about this topic for years. You arent silent about how much you hate it here and what you hate about Dallas. So I feel like I might as well know you, at least regarding this topic.
I try to confine my negativity about north Texas to forums other than the Texas and Dallas forums. I haven't discussed many of the reasons why I don't like north Texas because they are personal and private and do not need to be aired publicly here. Like I said...you don't know me. Nobody here does.

Quote:
I see your points about Austin and understand. We're probably close to the same age.

Not sure I have a good enough grasp of San Marcos to advise you. Yes, it's a college town and yes, it is scenic. The thing that concerns me, if I were making this choice, is that those counties adjacent to Austin are among the fastest-growing in the entire state. They've all experienced plenty of growth in the last 10 years. If you're not turned off by that and you think you might like San Marcos, it might be worth your while to do some asking in the Austin forum here. Maybe you'd like Pflugerville or Bee Cave or Round Rock or Dripping Springs or Bastrop more? They're all a little closer to the heart of the metro area and they're all part of the phenomenal growth in the area.
I think Bee Cave might be a bit out of my price range. Pflugerville and Round Rock are, to me, the Allen and Plano of Austin. They're dull, flat, boring, and too crowded. Dripping Springs might have potential.

I can do my job from anywhere so, at least initially, I would not have to worry about finding a job. If telecommuting drove me nuts and I wanted another gig, commute times might start to matter. I think San Marcos to Austin would be a beating and a half...I wouldn't even want to consider it.

I guess there is no good place for me, at least not in the South.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 PM

128 posts, read 323,169 times
If you want to stay in the south id say probably Miami or New Orleans.. Miami is a lot farther away of course but its more of a single lifestyle town then Dallas, as is New Orleans.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Since you don't like driving in I-35 traffic through Austin and you're open to medium-sized Texas cities, here's an outside-the-box option for you... Seguin. Seguin is at the southern end of the new (opened in October 2012) toll road that bypasses Austin.

You can make the drive north to your family in Dallas from Seguin (at speeds up to the legal limit of 85 MPH) and not have to put your wheels on I-35 until you get to Round Rock.

Living in Seguin is about as convenient to both Austin and San Antonio as San Marcos would be.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:56 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,562 times
Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Nashville, Raleigh..... any of these would be ideal

Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Since you don't like driving in I-35 traffic through Austin and you're open to medium-sized Texas cities, here's an outside-the-box option for you... Seguin. Seguin is at the southern end of the new (opened in October 2012) toll road that bypasses Austin.

You can make the drive north to your family in Dallas from Seguin (at speeds up to the legal limit of 85 MPH) and not have to put your wheels on I-35 until you get to Round Rock.

Living in Seguin is about as convenient to both Austin and San Antonio as San Marcos would be.
Hmmm....I hadn't thought of that at all, I'll look into it. It would be missing the hill country scenery that makes that part of Texas worth living in though, since it's on the wrong side of 35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Nashville, Raleigh..... any of these would be ideal
Thanks for the suggestions, but:

Houston and Atlanta are too big. I might consider Houston if it wasn't so schizophrenic. The lack of zoning is a big turnoff for me. Plus, my company is based in Houston so it would be hard to make the argument that I had to work from home, and HQ is a pressure cooker.

I already live in Dallas, so it and Fort Worth are both out.

Austin is ruined.

San Antonio sucks.

Nashville and Raleigh are too far away.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
To the OP, are you quite sure that there is absolutely NOTHING in the entire metroplex that can cater to a thirty-something childless woman? I find that hard to believe.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
To the OP, are you quite sure that there is absolutely NOTHING in the entire metroplex that can cater to a thirty-something childless woman? I find that hard to believe.
I could sell my house and move to the Village...once I get rid of a pet or two...and endure noisy neighbors, throwing my equity down the toilet in the process.

Or I could try for a condo or townhouse in Uptown; I'd end up paying more than my current house costs for half the space, no guarantee of outside space (my dog would hate that), and I'd have to endure noisy neighbors. Same story in Addison.

What else is left? Any area that caters to singles is going to feature either apartment farms or insanely overpriced multi-family dwellings like condos or townhouses.

Then there's the nagging detail of still being stuck in Dallas, a city I hate and always have hated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.