Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,908,927 times

Advertisements

Neither North or South. It is it's own region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 06:22 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,526,842 times
Concerning the coastal states, I think everyone answering "neither" is out of their mind. There is no way CA, OR or WA identify with Dixie more than the North.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,908,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Concerning the coastal states, I think everyone answering "neither" is out of their mind. There is no way CA, OR or WA identify with Dixie more than the North.

Do you know the definition of neither? That means is does not identify with either of them. Not more for one than the other. It is different than the North or South.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,526,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Do you know the definition of neither? That means is does not identify with either of them. Not more for one than the other. It is different than the North or South.
The way this question is posed, “neither” is not a viable option. Too much blood was spilled over this division and the peculiar institution that entrenched it. If a “North/South Divide” is understood along traditional Mason-Dixon lines, the West Coast unquestionably identifies more with the North. The slave/free state map and intervening history is simply too similar to our current political divide to deny that. Slave Sates vs. Free States vs. 2004 Election Results

Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,863,806 times
The "North" comprises three regions of the country: the Northeast, Midwest, and West. The South, in contrast, is its own thing.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,636,284 times
I'm from Tennessee but currently live in Los Angeles for work. I (and my Southern friends) find it hilarious that Southern California is referred to as "the Southland".

Old 04-13-2013, 12:54 AM

2,924 posts, read 5,585,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I'm from Tennessee but currently live in Los Angeles for work. I (and my Southern friends) find it hilarious that Southern California is referred to as "the Southland".
i'm originally from mexico city but work in los angeles. i find it hilarious that americans from the east coast consider southern california to be northern and think their stupid north/south paradigm applies in the west coast. look at the demographics of southern california. it has a southern flavor, just not the south you're thinking of lol.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:54 AM

353 posts, read 651,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
It's neither really, but it also depends on where you go.
Arizona is obviously going to have more in common with Texas than New York, just like Oregon probably has more in common with Minnesota than Alabama.

It's funny, I have a friend from Arkansas and he always asks me about what it's like "Up North", even though I live in Southern California.
Not necessarily so Portlander. It is far more common to find people originally from New York in Arizona than it is to find people from Texas in Arizona. Don't know why so many people have such a strong desire to lump Arizona in with Texas. They are far more different than they are alike.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:02 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,275,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Not necessarily so Portlander. It is far more common to find people originally from New York in Arizona than it is to find people from Texas in Arizona. Don't know why so many people have such a strong desire to lump Arizona in with Texas. They are far more different than they are alike.
Both states voted Republican in the last election, have large Mexican descended populations, and both states love thier guns. Already found three similarities easily. Lol

But overrall. Arizona is more like the El Paso/Trans-Pecos area of Texas than the rest of the state.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:20 AM

353 posts, read 651,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Both states voted Republican in the last election, have large Mexican descended populations, and both states love thier guns. Already found three similarities easily. Lol

But overrall. Arizona is more like the El Paso/Trans-Pecos area of Texas than the rest of the state.
My suspicions are correct. Many boil it down to politics. I'll give you some differences. Texas was originally settled by southerners. Arizona was settled for the most part by midwesterners and easterners. Yes Hip there were some southerners but there were also southerners that settled in California and other western states. But the Northern influence was much stronger much earlier in Arizona than it was in Texas. Texas is much more socially conservative than Arizona. Arizona is more fiscally conservative and socially libertarian. The social conservatism that does exist in Arizona is LDS influenced just like other western states and not evangelival influenced like Texas and other Southern states. In other words Arizona is not in the bible belt and much of Texas is. You could argue that Tucson is somewhat similar to El Paso. However I would say that a place like Scottsdale, AZ has FAR FAR more in common culturally with Orange County than it does with a place like San Antonio, TX. Not even close. Also I've been to places in West Texas like Lubbock and Amarillo and they are not like any cities in Arizona. I felt a major culture shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.