Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 04:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink101 View Post
Really, guys...? I don't mean to be rude, but this is very disappointing... What I'm getting from this thread so far is that Northerners define themselves by a comparison with their stereotypes of Southerners rather than having their own unique cultural/regional characteristics. Surely there is something besides "Southern" and "not-Southern" because a lack of any other unique identity within the nation would mean the South is the standard that defines America. Which I guess might explain why everyone is so obsessed with "Southernness" if it's the standard... but surely there is something more to being Northern than a lack of "Southernness"? ._.
No, I think you nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 04:25 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
The following are broad generalizations..... some of which may be more historic than current.

Northern culture: maple syrup, skiing, hockey, ice fishing, Catholicism and/or Main Line Protestantism, more ethnic variety due to previous waves of immigration hence lots more Italians, Poles, Jews, etc.

More of an emphasis on "the commons" which traditionally led to better public schools, earlier development of public infrastructure, etc., tended to prefer a more cohesive view of the United States rather than a heavy state sovereignty focus.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:30 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink101 View Post
Really, guys...? I don't mean to be rude, but this is very disappointing... What I'm getting from this thread so far is that Northerners define themselves by a comparison with their stereotypes of Southerners rather than having their own unique cultural/regional characteristics. Surely there is something besides "Southern" and "not-Southern" because a lack of any other unique identity within the nation would mean the South is the standard that defines America. Which I guess might explain why everyone is so obsessed with "Southernness" if it's the standard... but surely there is something more to being Northern than a lack of "Southernness"? ._.
No. The North was and is traditionally the standard of American culture. Less so now than before, but still mostly true. The South was always seen as a distinct sub-culture within the larger American culture. This is not meant as an insult to Southerners, your distinction is your strength.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:23 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
No, I think you nailed it.
Yep.

There are basically two cultures in the U.S. - General American (Northern), and Southern. There are identifiable sub-cultures within Northern culture (particularly in major cities) but it's overall distinguished by not being distinctive in any particular way. It is the U.S. cultural norm, and only those who have spent time living outside of it (hopefully both in the South and outside the U.S.) can actually come up with distinguishing traits.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:37 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
When you think of the South and southern culture, you tend to think of hobbies, foods, etc. that encompass the entire region. When you think of the North, there don't seem to be any generally northern cultural characteristics. For example, people identify things like grits, sweet tea, bass fishing, and tent revivals with the entire South. However, if I say lobster, Rockports, and sailing, it conjures up images of New England but not the entire North. If I say cornfields, auto factories, and church potlucks, it conjures up images of the Midwest but also not the entire North. I think the North in general is more culturally diverse and as such harder to define.

Last edited by canudigit; 04-14-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 05:44 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yep.

There are basically two cultures in the U.S. - General American (Northern), and Southern. There are identifiable sub-cultures within Northern culture (particularly in major cities) but it's overall distinguished by not being distinctive in any particular way. It is the U.S. cultural norm, and only those who have spent time living outside of it (hopefully both in the South and outside the U.S.) can actually come up with distinguishing traits.
Nope.

Let's sub-divide this some more. The New England northern states DO have an identifiable, distinctive Yankee culture, replete with their own stereotypes.

Pennsylvania, the "Keystone State" (6 original colonies both above and below us), falls in the "Mid-Atlantic" region (in no-way be part of the New England States). I would put Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey here (and maybe Ohio?). But a separate and distinctive culture? No, I'd probably say this was the US "cultural norm" that you stated.

Northern states west of the Great Lakes that border Canada along with the states directly below them... do they also have a cohesive culture? I don't know -- I'm really not as familiar with them as I am with the East Coast states.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:13 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Northern states west of the Great Lakes that border Canada along with the states directly below them... do they also have a cohesive culture? I don't know -- I'm really not as familiar with them as I am with the East Coast states.
Living in one of these Western states myself, I'm quite proud to say that out here, we really don't bear the misfortune of being stuck in the Civil War era like Americans who reside along the Eastern Seaboard.

Sure, we have strong divides between urban and rural populations in all of the Western regions of the country (and I would have to answer "no" to your question about general cultural cohesiveness), but I've just never really seen the same region vs region vitriol that seems so prevalent back east (and certainly on these threads).

Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,203 times
Quote:
Nope.

Let's sub-divide this some more. The New England northern states DO have an identifiable, distinctive Yankee culture, replete with their own stereotypes.

Pennsylvania, the "Keystone State" (6 original colonies both above and below us), falls in the "Mid-Atlantic" region (in no-way be part of the New England States). I would put Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey here (and maybe Ohio?). But a separate and distinctive culture? No, I'd probably say this was the US "cultural norm" that you stated.
Where would New York state + city fit in?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:47 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
When you think of the South and southern culture, you tend to think of hobbies, foods, etc. that encompass the entire region. When you think of the North, there don't seem to be any generally northern cultural characteristics. For example, people identify things like grits, sweet tea, bass fishing, and tent revivals with the entire South. However, if I say lobster, Rockports, and sailing, it conjures up images of New England but not the entire North. If I say cornfields, auto factories, and church potlucks, it conjures up images of the Midwest but also not the entire North. I think the North in general is more culturally diverse and as such harder to define.
Exactly. Without the South, there would be no concept of "the North" within the U.S. It only exists in opposition to the South. Otherwise it would just be called "American" culture.

Quote:
In general cultural boundaries get fuzzier the further west you get, and the divides are often within states. The area around the Great Lakes, going west into the Dakotas, has an "upper Midwestern" culture which draws a lot on Yankee traditions. In contrast, the Lower Midwest was settled by Pennsylvanians (and in some cases southerners). Hence why Cincinnati and Cleveland, despite both being in Ohio, look and talk nothing alike, with Cincinnati more like Pittsburgh or Saint Louis, and Cleveland more like Buffalo or CHicago.

When you go past the Great Plains, there are basically no cultural distinctions, minus say some lingering Yankee influence among Mormons and in the Bay Area and the like. The West is too newly settled to have developed highly distinctive identities or accents yet. It's fair enough to say it's all General American.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Living in one of these Western states myself, I'm quite proud to say that out here, we really don't bear the misfortune of being stuck in the Civil War era like Americans who reside along the Eastern Seaboard.
Actually, I think more in terms of the Revolutionary War era! Philadelphia identifies itself with being the birthplace of independence. Any war reenactments (in SE PA) are the red coats vs. blue coats, not blue vs. grey. Area monuments, historic houses, and many street names commemorate the earlier war.

I personally don't think in terms of North and South, but East and West and consider myself as an "Easterner".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.