U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:06 PM

82 posts, read 87,193 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Happy to be here, and I have to say, this is one of the best forums I've come across on the web in a long time. Very entertaining whilst also being informative.

Onto the matter at hand:

For business reasons I have lived in SF(2 years), and then LA(2 years), and being originally from the east coast(Jersey), I was raised in a very rough and tough blue-collar environment, where the ladies were feminine, and the men manly. Now I'm not some chest-puffing, ill-fatedly arrogant macho douchebag, but I am definitely burly and brawny, and it just happens to be my inherent nature. Nothing androgynous here.

I just, after living in two hipster/gay meccas for so long, finally have the opportunity to relocate, and for the purposes of the thread, let's say all other things are equal, and I just want to live around a predominantly straight, NON-hipster population.

What major city would that be?

And yes, I have checked the least hipster cities thread out, and it was definitely insightful, but I'd like a more situation-specific type of response here based on the persona I've described as my own.

It's really just a lack of commonality that inhibits a quality co-habitation with the gays rather than anything hateful. I just am utterly obtuse to these types, and I was raised in the non-pretentious, non-candy land world of reality. I just refuse to deal with the stuck-up elitist world that is California any longer, and before any staunch Caliheads gun for me, I will say I have had some amazing times in both cities, and met some good folks. It's just that extremely masculine men and extremely feminine men do not mix. At all. I know in the gay men's perfect world, they could hang with us, but eh-eh. So sorry.

And on the other end of the spectrum, the overwhelming majority of these little candy-assed, snobby disposition, socially maladjusted hipsters has pushed me to my breaking point, and all that the otherwise enjoyable metro areas have to offer along with the idyllic weather(LA only mind you) is still simply not sufficient to sustain any further residence here.

Not into Texas, as New Jersey is just too contrary to the cowboy types, and I'm a bit too gritty/urban to mesh with that level of conservatism, but I need to stay away from the uber-liberals too, as they just have no semblance of masculinity or tradition about them, and I am if nothing else, definitely a good ol' boy.

Oh yea, I'm white, 30, and have had all types of friends growing up in a the very diverse State of NJ.

I just can't and won't do this whole trendy, ironic, vapidly generic(everyone trying to be non-generic in the same manner is utterly just that) hipster lifestyle that creates absolute clones of one another right down to the tonality, vocabulary, sense of humor and even the brand of beer they hold in their hand. Non-comformists they say? Now THAT'S laughable irony.

I don't mind a small gay tangent as long as they don't outnumber me ten-to-one like here in Hollywood and how it was in SF, but the hipsters I utterly abhor and it's high time to make a big change. I know that leaves out the coasts, so was thinking somewhere in the mid-west or thereabouts?

edit: Please, only comment if you are addressing the direct question rather than idly commenting on the post. I came here for a constructive reason, and I hope to receive actual input regarding a good city for a manly kind of rough dude that is looking to avoid(as best as humanly possible) two elements that strongly permeate most all major cities by default.

Thanks guys 'n ghouls! :]

Last edited by AllTimeLow99; 04-14-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 01:21 PM

9,433 posts, read 18,334,943 times
Go to Menver. They love their sports teams, very athletic and outdoor minded city and they love drinking beer. Just stay out of Boulder where you're most likely to encounter the annoying bet wetting liberal types, but Denver city and suburbs strikes a good balance between liberal/conservative and enough transplants that you wouldn't feel alienated being from New Jersey. It's got hipsters but it's certainly not overrun by them, Denver is a good down to earth place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTimeLow99 View Post
. Not into Texas, as New Jersey is just too contrary to the cowboy types, and I'm a bit too gritty/urban to mesh with that level of conservatism, but I need to stay away from the uber-liberals too, as they just have no semblance of masculinity or tradition about them, and I am if nothing else, definitely a good ol' boy.
Thinking of other cities to match what you describe above I imagine Philly or Pittsburgh would be a good fit as well.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 04-14-2013 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Go to Menver. They love their sports teams, very athletic and outdoor minded city and they love drinking beer. Just stay out of Boulder where you're most likely to encounter the annoying bet wetting liberal types, but Denver city and suburbs strikes a good balance between liberal/conservative and enough transplants that you wouldn't feel alienated being from New Jersey. It's got hipsters but it's certainly not overrun by them, Denver is a good down to earth place.

Thinking of other cities to match what you describe above I imagine Philly or Pittsburgh would be a good fit as well.

Philly and Pittsburgh are too close to home for my wanderlust tastes. I need to avoid the tri-state area. And I've been to Philly quite a few times on day-trips. That's all I'll say about that.

Thank you though on Denver. Was thinking of that one a bit actually, just really would like to be somewhere a little more temperate, and avoid the weather extremes of living a mile up in the mountains. It's a poss though I guess.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,569,289 times
Cleveland? Pittsburgh? Buffalo?

Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 PM

Pittsburgh and Buffalo = tri-state area. Not into anything NJ, PA or NY.

Cleveland I have traveled to, and the criminal element seemed to be strong, especially at night.

I really am not looking for a -perfect place-, just not somewhere freezing cold, high crime or less than urban.

Heh, and it'd be a nice change to live in a city where the women actually like muscles and dominance and tradition. Jeeze..I haven't tasted that in forever.

To each their own I say. I just know what works for me personally, and I need to find it again in a new locale.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:01 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,019,596 times
I would tell you Chicago...the thing is that there's a balance. It's masculine and it's not. Really depends on where you are and whatever. There are areas with hipsters and then there's areas where there aren't. It can be trendy and what not, but it can be pretty masculine too. One of the best sports cities in the US. People are fanatical about Chicago sports.

If you don't want to run into hipsters ever then you'd probably want a smaller city for sure..start in the midwest.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
If you don't want to run into hipsters ever then you'd probably want a smaller city for sure..start in the midwest.

Solid advice man. Was thinking that may be just the ticket, and after having lived on both coasts it would be something new and fresh. After researching this forum though, I see there are pockets of the pestilence starting to infiltrate the mid-states, Madison, WI, and Minneapolis, MN come to mind. Up-and-coming hipster havens or so I've read.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:19 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,718,331 times
*I'm a manly man!! but help me mommy, i scared of all of these gays and hipsters!*

Anyways, i would try one of those blue collar cities in the midwest

Old 04-14-2013, 02:21 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,202,856 times
Denver is the place for the manly man

Lots of athletic men there.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
*I'm a manly man!! but help me mommy, i scared of all of these gays and hipsters!*

Anyways, i would try one of those blue collar cities in the midwest

Hi there liberal.

Not scared, I didn't see anything about fear stated. Simply mismatched.

Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.