Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 03:03 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
What wealthy neighborhoods have tacky, distasteful, or downright "ugly" buildings or architectural styles? Buildings that would appear to be undesirable but are actually very high in property value or neighborhoods that look undesirable but actually have very high median household incomes?
The Spanish and Italian architectural is more colorful and nice than north east .The vinyl housing looks very old now .

But some vinyl housing can me nice if it is done right.

This looks really nice http://www.windowworldrichmond.com/i...ng-prodigy.jpg

But this not.It looks too plain looking.

http://images.quickblogcast.com/2/9/...inyl2.jpg?a=70
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 03:36 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
I was going to say some areas in New Jersey- they have such a great love of very incorrectly scaled classical columns and other elements- but don't the wealthy Sephardic (I may have this wrong) Jews of Brooklyn and nearby areas take the cake for tacky houses and enclaves? I'm sure I'm offending some folks here but it's all in good fun.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...me-photos.html

Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
The one thing I absolutely can’t stand are those HUGE obnoxious gates and entrances people build. what’s worse is when the house isn’t even that nice or that big to justify them.

If the town is nice enough why is such a gate necessary in the first place??

Like this perfect example of a rural new england house which isnt even that large...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=tolla...52.27,,0,-1.84
I don't see anyhting wrong with that since they've got so much land...it's actually pretty nice.

It would have been tacky had they been sitting on a quarter acre lot though haha

Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 PM

178 posts, read 284,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
I think the "gate" of the Newport Coast development by Laguna Beach is very tacky.
Newport Coast is definitely tacky, especially compared to adjacent Laguna and Corona del Mar.

What about Beverly Hills, and adjacent parts of LA, with the Persian mansions (not trying to pick on Persians per se, but they tend to prefer tacky architecture, IMO).

Old 05-03-2013, 07:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
The Spanish and Italian architectural is more colorful and nice than north east .The vinyl housing looks very old now .

But some vinyl housing can me nice if it is done right.

This looks really nice http://www.windowworldrichmond.com/i...ng-prodigy.jpg

But this not.It looks too plain looking.

http://images.quickblogcast.com/2/9/...inyl2.jpg?a=70
That "nice" version of vinyl siding you posted is not a real picture....it is a computer generated image.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
What wealthy neighborhoods have tacky, distasteful, or downright "ugly" buildings or architectural styles? Buildings that would appear to be undesirable but are actually very high in property value or neighborhoods that look undesirable but actually have very high median household incomes?
Staten Island has some really tacky large houses that are meant to look grand and wealthy but sometimes look sad. Then again, the Grymes Hill neighborhood is probably one of the wealthiest on the island and has amazing houses with even more amazing views.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:12 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I was going to say some areas in New Jersey- they have such a great love of very incorrectly scaled classical columns and other elements- but don't the wealthy Sephardic (I may have this wrong) Jews of Brooklyn and nearby areas take the cake for tacky houses and enclaves? I'm sure I'm offending some folks here but it's all in good fun.

Inside a $14 Million Home in Gravesend, Brooklyn -- Daily Intelligencer
The older homes in NJ are gorgeous, from columns to Victorian style. Very classy and stunning. Sometimes, newer ones being built trying to fit that look can be what you described. NJ has a pretty even mix of both new and old architectural styles so there is a big variety. They don't make houses like they used to anymore, no mater how hard someone tries!

And oh the interior of that home in the link is awful!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Looks like really nice homes to me. What abouy them makes you say they are tacky?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:16 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Those are the perfect examples... Right down to the Hummer H2 parked in that one driveway haha

Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Cant see what you guys are seeing. Don't see any poorly made homes, ir poor architectural styles or down right ugly homes like the op mentioned. I see nicely made and kept homes. They are big, but hey what do you expect from richer neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.