Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:14 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times

Advertisements

What wealthy neighborhoods have tacky, distasteful, or downright "ugly" buildings or architectural styles? Buildings that would appear to be undesirable but are actually very high in property value or neighborhoods that look undesirable but actually have very high median household incomes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 05:50 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
I find most McMansion style and vinyl housing to be tacky and cheap looking. Philly has plenty of amazing suburbs with wonderful architecture but some of the newer housing in Chester and Bucks County and some in NJ is not appealing to me.

Wealthy? Yes, but I'd rather not live in a gated community of cheaply constructed houses and families that look just like mine. I'd imagine there to be more of this type of architecture and construction in some of the newer and rapidly growing Metros.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:11 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,305 times
The one thing I absolutely can’t stand are those HUGE obnoxious gates and entrances people build. what’s worse is when the house isn’t even that nice or that big to justify them.

If the town is nice enough why is such a gate necessary in the first place??

Like this perfect example of a rural new england house which isnt even that large...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=tolla...52.27,,0,-1.84

Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
The one thing I absolutely can’t stand are those HUGE obnoxious gates and entrances people build. what’s worse is when the house isn’t even that nice or that big to justify them.

Like this perfect example of a rural new england house which isnt even that large...

Wow, that's an expensive wall and gate! It looks like it might have cost as much as or more than the house.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Parts of Long Island (NY) definitely fit the OP's criteria with lots of vinyl-sided split ranch style homes and other tragic architectural styles.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:12 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:

oh dude, this is downright tasteful compared to a house near where I work. There's no street view in google, but it's a monstrosity - iron gates, lions, fountains, the works. I watched it nearly daily as it was coming together, and I felt the bile rising in my throat with every passing day. This is an extremely safe area so the "compound" feel is laughable.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:12 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Maybe it belongs to one of the "Real Housewives of New Jersey". Those catty chicks are never safe from each other...

Old 04-25-2013, 05:12 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:

I dont even see a gate that just a decorative stone wall. I think they're nice. Many of the homes on my street have stone pillars at the end of they're driveways with lights on top, I think theyre classy. And really if your living in an areas with multimillion dollar homes what do you expect a rowhouse with a front stoop..

I think much of the new architecture in the south and southwest are ugly. 5000 sqft homes right on top of one another all stucco. The northeast has always had classier looking suburbs, even new homes today for the most part are better looking.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:28 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
I think the "gate" of the Newport Coast development by Laguna Beach is very tacky.

http://images.onset.freedom.com/ocre...g2op6klu.1.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 05-09-2013 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
I always found River Oaks in Houston had a fairly high concentration of tackiness:

River Oaks Boulevard, Houston, TX - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.