U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 01:22 PM

229 posts, read 520,188 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 5 living in Wyoming and wanting to move to the South. Not the Southwest, as the climate is too much like what we have now- dry. Plus we are sick of the long, cold winters. We are longing for green, and don't mind the humidity- or at least we can deal with it. I lived in IL 6 years, so I'm familiar with some humidity. We have also felt the humidity of FL. Of course we wouldn't move without visiting, and getting jobs. If we find the right place, we can wait till the right opportunity comes along.

We have two college-aged kids, and one that will be close to graduating HS by the time we would move, so being near a good college/university is important. Because we will also be bringing my MIL, proximity to good healthcare would also be important. Ideally, we would love to live in a smaller town that is close to a larger city. That way, things would be a little quieter, but we would still have access to activities, etc. We are pretty laid back- we love gardening, right now we have chickens, and we don't have to be entertained constantly. But we would like to be within driving distance to fun activities, festivals etc. Also, access to organic foods would be nice. Crime rates are important as we live in a low-crime area now, and I would hate to walk outside my door and worry about becoming a victim constantly.

We want to become part of the community and it's culture- we are not wanting to try and change anything. I've just heard so much about the friendly people in the South, and that appeals to me. As does the slower pace. Terrain doesn't matter much- we've lived in the high desert/mountain region of Wyoming most all our lives. I don't mind living in a flat area, swampy area, mountains, near the ocean, etc... A lower cost of living would be nice. Taxes are low in Wyoming, but housing is expensive. In my town, the median house price is 249,000. We'd love to find something decent under 170,000.

So any advice you could pass on would be so appreciated. The only parts of the south we have been to are the airport in Atlanta, lol, and Orlando three times. Once we find some place that appeals to us, we will take a trip down there this summer. And and just for information- Texas is not being considered, but we wouldn't mind recommendations for FL too. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,293,371 times
Check out some cities in Virginia or North Carolina. It will be much warmer than you are used to, but not oppressive. Both states have beach access and mountains. Both states have fantastic public universities. Cost of living is okay as long as you stay away from Northern Virginia/DC area. Crime rates are generally lower than in deep south cities.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 PM

56,770 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Perhaps something in parts of TN may work too.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:42 AM

I hadn't thought of Virginia so that will be a place to look into. Definitely have been considering TN and NC, just not sure of some of the areas. Thanks for the replies

Old 04-23-2013, 03:09 PM

10,532 posts, read 14,362,196 times
Knoxville seems like it would meet your requirements, maybe Nashville if you need access to a good airport. Both cities have nice smaller cities and towns surrounding them.
A couple of threads to get you started.
How is Nashville different from Knoxville?
Asking for information regarding possible relocation to Knoxville.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 865 times
Hi! I currently live in NC and am thinking about moving west (AZ or WY) with my DH and 5 kids. We really need a drier climate and less things to spark our allergies. Otherwise, NC is a great place to live. LOTS of educational opportunities, some of the best colleges and medical facilities on the East Coast (and maybe in the US). We rarely get real winter weather, maybe an inch or two of snow and temps rarely drop below 30. Summers are very humid and temps are 90-100 in the hottest months. NC is a very green state. We live about 2 hours from the coast and do enjoy the beach often. Lots to do in and around Raleigh, the capital. Museums are all free and they are really wonderful compared to some states I've visited. We homeschool, so I can't speak for our public school system but the colleges are excellent. COL- ok, I guess. Some counties are better than others. Housing market not so good for sellers but amazing for buyers. Lots of big new houses for less than $200K to pick from. Some land, but most houses are on less than an acre in the towns and cities. Not what you are used to I'm sure

Old 05-21-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydsluvsrich View Post
Hi! I currently live in NC and am thinking about moving west (AZ or WY) with my DH and 5 kids. We really need a drier climate and less things to spark our allergies. Otherwise, NC is a great place to live. LOTS of educational opportunities, some of the best colleges and medical facilities on the East Coast (and maybe in the US). We rarely get real winter weather, maybe an inch or two of snow and temps rarely drop below 30. Summers are very humid and temps are 90-100 in the hottest months. NC is a very green state. We live about 2 hours from the coast and do enjoy the beach often. Lots to do in and around Raleigh, the capital. Museums are all free and they are really wonderful compared to some states I've visited. We homeschool, so I can't speak for our public school system but the colleges are excellent. COL- ok, I guess. Some counties are better than others. Housing market not so good for sellers but amazing for buyers. Lots of big new houses for less than $200K to pick from. Some land, but most houses are on less than an acre in the towns and cities. Not what you are used to I'm sure
Thank you for the information! WY is very dry, and after spring, pretty much brown. Although up in the mountains you will find more green. It's also very expensive and homes usually come with small lots. Many nights reach below zero during the winter, but you'll also have many days in the 20's and 30's. Lots of sunshine, even in the coldest days. If you have the money, and enjoy snowmobiling, four-wheeling, camping, hunting, etc, then there is a lot to do. Other than that, there is not much else. My closest mall is 2.5 hours away. We just want a warmer area, much more green, and things to do! We will be checking out NC this summer and are very excited!

Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 AM

4,274 posts, read 6,363,502 times
If you're going to be checking out NC, I think one of the most underrated cities there is Winston-Salem, which is often overshadowed by Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, and Asheville on C-D.

Winston-Salem is a medium size city (450,000) with:
moderate housing prices
moderate climate (summers are humid but winters are mild)
strong medical facilities (Baptist Hosipital at Wake-Forest U)
decent cultural amenities with local opera, ballet, theater, museums
a small downtown arts district amenable to the Rocky Mountain hipster in you
access of course to NC's fine state college system
lots of space
diveristy, with a city about 20% black and small but growing numbers of Mexican immigrants
moderate politics like most larger NC cities it vote blue for president ina a red-leaning state
Winston is in the Piedmont, middle of the state, halfway between the mountains in the West (Asheville) and the Atlantic Coast (Wilmington)

Thing is that the NC economy is still rather weak with unemployment at about 8% But like you say, you wouldn't move anyway without a job.

But IMO it's an underrated city that may fit the bill for you.

EDIT: Made a typo. The city is about 250,000. And forgot to add that Winston also has a neat minor league baseball team there too --Class A, White Sox

Last edited by citylove101; 05-21-2013 at 11:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or