Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:33 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times

Advertisements

This could be internationally as well. Please state your race, for context.

As an Asian-American, I felt out of place in the following areas/ cities:

- Florida (basically the whole state- felt like i stuck out like a sore thumb and was met by subtle acts of racism & hostility never experienced elsewhere in the country)
- Denver (nice people but a little too "mountain-man" feeling for this Asian-American who's only ever lived in LA, SF and Seattle)
- Salt Lake City (seemed like a different world)
- San Antonio
- Phoenix
- New Orleans (to a certain extent but there is a Vietnamese presence)
- Ventura County, CA- just outside LA but a world apart!

(In the midwest, I have only been to Chicago and Minneapolis. They're not like the West Coast racially in an Asian-American context, but didnt feel as out-of-place as the aforementioned areas). I would think I'd feel out of place in areas like OH, MO and KS for instance....In the South, I was concerned about sticking out like a sore thumb but Houston, Dallas and to a lesser extent Atlanta were surprisingly racially mixed so that consciousness didnt come up- but I havent been to TN, Kentucky, SC etc

PS. Never been to Philadelphia, but somehow think I may feel out of place racially if I went

Last edited by f1000; 04-23-2013 at 01:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 02:24 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
I'm a 6'3/160 lbs, dark blonde haired, blue eyed, suntanned caucasian from the Netherlands.
Traveled a lot but the only cities I felt out of place were Colon, Panama + Cartagena, Colombia and some parts of Miami, USA and Tokyo, Japan.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times
This is a weird thread.

Just pick whatever color you are and then pick a city or country that's racially homogenous in whatever you aren't.

Example...I'm white....I travelled throughout Africa in 2009...needless to say I don't blend in.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 AM

644 posts, read 1,429,961 times
I honestly felt out of place in Charlotte, North Carolina. Im black. Although I embrace who I am, being raised in 99.99% white Forest Hills, NY has definitely influenced me.

Because I don't sag my pants or have dreads or only listen to rap music, I found it VERY hard to fit in in Charlotte. I wasn't really accepted by the black people or the white people which I found really strange because everyone loves me. LOL. Much easier for me to fit in here in Atlanta.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:25 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
We were in a local yokel grocery store in Puerto Rico and as a slight, blonde hair, blue eyed girl of Irish decent, I (and the rest of my family) stuck out like a sore thumb. We joked that over the intercom, in Spanish, they were saying "Whitey in Aisle 5!". LOL

Other than race, I felt very out of place in Salt Lake City.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 AM

644 posts, read 1,429,961 times
Oooohhhhh I forgot about Alabama!!! I was going to a wedding and this particular one was a white couple. I knew the brides side (mostly from Atlanta and friends of friends) the groom while living in Atlanta most of his family resides in Bama. When I got out of the car to head into the church....the record skipped and u could hear a needle drop....then I could hear whispers of who is the black guy, why is a black guy here etc. I walked my girlfriend to her seat then went back out to the car where I sat by myself!!!

**** Alabama!!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:14 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Hawaii. And that's it.

And I love Hawaii, but it's basically one of the only place in the US, where there are some places that I felt uncomfortable travelling to. Not everywhere, just certain places on certain islands. And most people in Hawaii are decent folks--and once you really befriend someone from the islands they overly welcoming.

I'm basically a white guy who can sometimes pass for a Latino or some Mediterranean ethnicity (dark hair, slightly olive complexion).

Old 04-23-2013, 09:15 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Russia

Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Not based on race but will say South Carolina more than any other place I've been. Just made to feel like a Yankee that didn't belong around those parts (in rural parts and around Charleston). I'm pretty adapatble and open minded and I've been several other places in the South and never felt that way, just something about SC rubbed me the wrong way, and something about me rubbed them the wrong way too. Not sure why, but I won't go back.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Im Middle Eastern and I refuse to feel out of place anywhere. The only times Ive ever gotten dirty looks were in the Jackson, MS area, Lubbock, TX, and in Chinatown in Chicago (my wife is Asian and some of the other Asian men werent happy about it). Even then, it was only one or two people. Most people never flinched in those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.