U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM

84 posts, read 212,492 times

Advertisements

So I've made a list of what I consider important factors when thinking of relocating to a different city.

Here's how I rate my current city (NYC):
  • Cost of Living : 10/10 (10 being very expensive)
  • Employment Opportunities: 9/10
  • Schools quality: 6/10
  • Living space: 4/10
  • Crime Rate: 3/10 (low)
  • Outdoors activities: 4/10
  • Climate and Weather: 6/10 (10 being very nice)

What cities do you think would be a good fit for this criteria?

I'm thinking that Denver and Seattle should probably score fairly well.

What other cities am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 12:05 PM

983 posts, read 1,433,412 times
You may want to elaborate on outdoor activities and what you consider to be "nice" weather.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 PM

Outdoors activities such as hiking, bicycling, kayaking, etc.

Nice weather as in 4 seasons, not crazy cold, or super hot all the time.

I guess, I should add that; of all the things listed, we're most willing to compromise in terms of weather.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 PM

981 posts, read 2,365,455 times
Well Denver is if course very outdoorsy, has 4 seasons, and isn't too bad in the summer. The winters can be cold though...they'be had a pretty crazy winter this year. The only thing that sucks about Denver is it's isolation from other major cities(Albuquerque&Salt Lake City don't count). And it's far from the coast if you have an itch to go to the beach. Other than that Denver is a nice fun city.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 PM

14,811 posts, read 19,071,920 times
Seattle, Portland, Chicago, Philadelphia, Austin, San Diego, etc?

Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Seattle, Portland, Chicago, Philadelphia, Austin, San Diego, etc?
Chicago and Philly have high crime rates. Higher at least than NYC's and NYC is several times bigger than both cities.
And from what I've read, Philly's schools are in a dire state.

San Diego is wonderful, but COL is very high.

Austin sounds like viable option. Only downside I can think of is that they have only two seasons; Hot and Hotter. But like I said before, we're willing to compromise weather wise.

Portland is also an interesting option. Any idea of how the job market is over othere?

Thanks guys.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on-wheels View Post
Chicago and Philly have high crime rates.

MMMM not as simple as that for Chicago. As a transplant to Chicago, I bought into that too before I moved here, but here's the deal. Most of the crime in Chicago is actually centered in only a few areas on the west and south sides and at that, they're just a small handful of neighborhoods. In fact, 75% of the homicides since Jan 1, 2007 have been committed in about 25% of the neighborhoods. If you take the rest of the neighborhoods, their homicide rate is basically that of NYC's or even lower. Not only that, but where these "crime centers" are, is almost never near any of the good neighborhoods. The odds of you accidentally walking into a bad neighborhood from a good one is slim to almost none (I can think of only 1-2 neighborhoods where this is a possibility).

Basically, the whole thing is overrated in the media if you know the city. If you have a decent paying job, you will almost never go to the bad neighborhoods and it almost impossible to just accidentally end up in one. Also, a lot of the violent crime is gang on gang. Yes, some things are random, but a lot of it is that or drug trade related.

Honestly, if you pass up Chicago because of the high crime rate, then I kind of feel bad for you a little bit because crime is actually not a big problem in many areas of the city. People in the media like to bring up Chicago a lot because there is a lot of gun control but a lot of homicide in some areas. if you look at the actual numbers, it's usually not in the top 10 of any city for any category. The homicide rate for example is 16th in 2011. Aggravated Assault? 24th. Burglary? 38th.

The third most amount of millionaires of any city in the nation live in Chicago (and not far behind Los Angeles) with a huge amount of big business and industry. If Chicago was really dangerous as you think, do you really think these many millionaires who could live anywhere in the country would stay put? Many would not.

The city is not as dangerous as you think. Trust me on this. Many people who believe this and have never been to Chicago would be pleasantly surprised on how safe it actually is in a lot of areas.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:40 PM

Not sure about Portland, but its cost of living is actually not as good as one might think. Basically on par and sometimes even more expensive than both Seattle and Chicago (Chicago and Seattle have about the same COL).

Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 PM

983 posts, read 1,433,412 times
I'd think Portland or Denver would be good fits for large cities and Portland absolutely has a lower cost of living than Seattle.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
I'd think Portland or Denver would be good fits for large cities and Portland absolutely has a lower cost of living than Seattle.
Not according to my friends in Portland. They are pretty similar and Portland can be more sometimes...according to them. I guess though, like any other city in the world, it all depends on where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.