U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 PM

329 posts, read 586,387 times

Advertisements

In a jam again: Traffic congestion back on the rise

Traffic congestion in the United States is back on the rise. This news to me as an engineer in Orlando, FL hit me hard seeing that our poor road network in most cities can barely support the added traffic. Boston's situation is crazy, I can't imagine commutes on an East Coast road network with a 30% increase in travel!

This goes to show that we need to continue bringing our transportation system to modern standards, and raise the transportation budget. In Florida, many private companies own roads and toll them. This may sound bad for the frugal, but if you drive on these roads they are definitely up to modern standards and almost always being worked on, which is very positive. If that's what it takes to improve our deteriorating transportation network, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 04:49 PM

14,800 posts, read 19,054,473 times
I saw a documentary a few months ago, forgot what it was called, but it had Michael Dukakis on there talking about how millions of dollars were spent in Boston to add a few more lanes of freeway because they thought it would create for better traffic flow and it barely did anything. I think they said it decreased commute time by 1 minute average to people.

It's pretty sad, but we'll need to figure out how to deal with this versus the amount of money we can actually spend.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:02 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,576,997 times
Well thank goodness Indianapolis has one of the lowest congestion rates of any major US city.
So not that worried about this. If you don't like long commutes you can always move to another city.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,624,724 times
That's because they keep on cramming more and more housing developments/townhouses/apartments in areas that areas that can't support the traffic already. Not to mention shopping centers with even more banks and drugstores to support the people that buy those townhouses. It's ridiculous! They recently made a 10 mi bypass of a major 2 lane route... but it's only 4 lanes for a few miles. It IS nice to drive on, but it's a nightmare getting to it!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
That's because they keep on cramming more and more housing developments/townhouses/apartments in areas that areas that can't support the traffic already. Not to mention shopping centers with even more banks and drugstores to support the people that buy those townhouses. It's ridiculous! They recently made a 10 mi bypass of a major 2 lane route... but it's only 4 lanes for a few miles. It IS nice to drive on, but it's a nightmare getting to it!
This is why it's important to create walkable areas, then the reliance on the car goes down.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 PM

329 posts, read 586,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Well thank goodness Indianapolis has one of the lowest congestion rates of any major US city.
So not that worried about this. If you don't like long commutes you can always move to another city.
Indianapolis is literally my engineering wet dream, lol. Especially the roundabouts in Carmel, very smart move that more cities and engineers need to look at.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:30 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,744,612 times
Oh no more people are going to work!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
Indianapolis is literally my engineering wet dream, lol. Especially the roundabouts in Carmel, very smart move that more cities and engineers need to look at.
There are roundabouts in Indiana? I have never seen that here that I can remember..

Old 04-23-2013, 08:41 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,573,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is why it's important to create walkable areas, then the reliance on the car goes down.
You have to do more than that. The Car is always more convenient. There has to be an incentive, like Manhattan, driving is torture overthere and find a parking spot? sheeeeeeeit. When that happens walking doesn't sound so bad. It's not enough to just building things within walkin distance.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,744,612 times
Is it true that adding more lanes to a freeway brings in more traffic?

i heard this before but i don't understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or