U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2013, 05:01 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,538,210 times
Reputation: 17606

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Basically where do you think these cities ought to be grouped? My personal vote would be that they are a mix...not decidedly either one. Although, my tendency would be to group them in with Midwestern cities before cities in the BosWash corridor.
Geographically, probably northeast. Culturally, midwest.

I don't ever even think about Pittsburgh as a Northeastern city, personally. It's just so west. PA is too dang long.

Someone mentioned that these cities listed in question here are in the Great Lakes region, I'd have to agree with that. So I guess I pick the third option, really. While the states that border a Great Lake (NY, PA) may overlap also as Northeastern states, the cities fit more into the Great Lakes profile. Pittsburgh is much closer to Lake Erie than it is to major Northeastern cities Boston, NYC, Philly, and DC.

Nobody start a fight with me, please, this is my opinion and no amount of snark or convincing can change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2013, 05:08 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,538,210 times
Reputation: 17606
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I was saying that the Northeast has hockey as its premire College sport, then starting at the Penn state área it becomes all about football.
I disagree with this. Football is big in the Northeast, at the high school and college level. I don't think we're as into hockey as you think… NJ's most well known and kind of only major state school, Rutgers, can definitely list football as its major sport (I never even hear about the Rutgers hockey, to be honest). So can my little college I went to in NYC. Maybe it's broken down even more geographically to Mid-Atlantic and New England, which is colder than the Mid-Atantic states but IMO hockey is not that major of a college sport in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 05:26 PM
 
9,401 posts, read 9,566,265 times
Reputation: 5810
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I disagree with this. Football is big in the Northeast, at the high school and college level. I don't think we're as into hockey as you think… NJ's most well known and kind of only major state school, Rutgers, can definitely list football as its major sport (I never even hear about the Rutgers hockey, to be honest). So can my little college I went to in NYC. Maybe it's broken down even more geographically to Mid-Atlantic and New England, which is colder than the Mid-Atantic states but IMO hockey is not that major of a college sport in the Northeast.
Yale, Harvard, BC, BU, Cornell, Northeastern, Clarkson, UNH, UMASS Lowell, UMASS Amherst, Dartmouth, Quinnipiac, Ithaca, Swarthmore, Columbia, and UVM are all hockey schools.
there are a few Football schools in the Northeast but not as prominent.
In the Midwest there are a few Hockey schools in Minnesota but for the most part its all about the football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 05:34 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,538,210 times
Reputation: 17606
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yale, Harvard, BC, BU, Cornell, Northeastern, Clarkson, UNH, UMASS Lowell, UMASS Amherst, Dartmouth, Quinnipiac, Ithaca, Swarthmore, Columbia, and UVM are all hockey schools.
there are a few Football schools in the Northeast but not as prominent.
In the Midwest there are a few Hockey schools in Minnesota but for the most part its all about the football.
The large majority of those schools are in New England.

I think that because of weather differences, you can't definitively say which college sport the Northeast chooses as a favorite. The Northeast is too big of a region and varies in overall climate and weather, though it may not seem like it. But for New England, yes I would agree with hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Toronto
632 posts, read 685,897 times
Reputation: 463
I would say mixed, although being from the northeast those places don't feel very northeastern to me, they feel more like the great lakes region/upper midwest.

Strangely, when I was in Cleveland it felt more northeastern to me than Buffalo or Pittsburgh. And in Pittsburgh the accents sound southern to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 01:21 AM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,227 posts, read 17,988,164 times
Reputation: 14678
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What's funny about it is that cities like Wilmington, DE and Baltimore, MD are more Northeastern in culture than cities like Pittsburgh and Buffalo are and yet the Census excludes those cities.
Interior Northeast is still Northeast.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowing Mindspin View Post
...in Pittsburgh the accents sound southern to me.
Midland accents are not Southern accents. They might have a quality or two that sounds Southern, but then again, the Boston accent in non-rhotic just like the Atlantic coastal Southern accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 01:42 PM
 
Location: New York
494 posts, read 470,754 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yale, Harvard, BC, BU, Cornell, Northeastern, Clarkson, UNH, UMASS Lowell, UMASS Amherst, Dartmouth, Quinnipiac, Ithaca, Swarthmore, Columbia, and UVM are all hockey schools.
there are a few Football schools in the Northeast but not as prominent.
In the Midwest there are a few Hockey schools in Minnesota but for the most part its all about the football.
The sports reference is actually pretty spot on. However, for the northeast I would use Lacrosse as a better example - and I know lacross is big in Buffalo, but not in pittsburgh, as its practically non-existanct in the midwest. The top programs are all east coast schools such as syracuse, hopkins, cornell, princeton.

While sports is only one example, I think the overwhelming evidence points to Buffalo being a northeastern city (not to mention the poll on the first page). Just because some aspects are "midwestern-like" does not make it a midwestern city. If having qualities of another region meant you were kicked out of the northeast club then sections of the philadelphia suburbs (with there southern accents) would not be considered northeast - which of course, would be ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,967 posts, read 7,335,733 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
The sports reference is actually pretty spot on. However, for the northeast I would use Lacrosse as a better example - and I know lacross is big in Buffalo, but not in pittsburgh, as its practically non-existanct in the midwest. The top programs are all east coast schools such as syracuse, hopkins, cornell, princeton.

While sports is only one example, I think the overwhelming evidence points to Buffalo being a northeastern city (not to mention the poll on the first page). Just because some aspects are "midwestern-like" does not make it a midwestern city. If having qualities of another region meant you were kicked out of the northeast club then sections of the philadelphia suburbs (with there southern accents) would not be considered northeast - which of course, would be ridiculous.
Lacrosse does have a following in Pittsburgh that I'd say is more than only a few. Most school districts have their own lacrosse team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
The sports reference is actually pretty spot on. However, for the northeast I would use Lacrosse as a better example - and I know lacross is big in Buffalo, but not in pittsburgh, as its practically non-existanct in the midwest. The top programs are all east coast schools such as syracuse, hopkins, cornell, princeton.

While sports is only one example, I think the overwhelming evidence points to Buffalo being a northeastern city (not to mention the poll on the first page). Just because some aspects are "midwestern-like" does not make it a midwestern city. If having qualities of another region meant you were kicked out of the northeast club then sections of the philadelphia suburbs (with there southern accents) would not be considered northeast - which of course, would be ridiculous.
Lacrosse is becoming more popular in the midwest, and is quite popular here in Colorado, which some great minds on CD also like to classify as midwest.

The funny thing is, I grew up in Pittsburgh, in the opinion of some the eastern terminus of the midwest, and I have lived half my life in Denver, in the opinion of some the western terminus. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What's funny about it is that cities like Wilmington, DE and Baltimore, MD are more Northeastern in culture than cities like Pittsburgh and Buffalo are and yet the Census excludes those cities.
Please describe northeastern and midwestern culture. Compare and contrast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yale, Harvard, BC, BU, Cornell, Northeastern, Clarkson, UNH, UMASS Lowell, UMASS Amherst, Dartmouth, Quinnipiac, Ithaca, Swarthmore, Columbia, and UVM are all hockey schools.
there are a few Football schools in the Northeast but not as prominent.
In the Midwest there are a few Hockey schools in Minnesota but for the most part its all about the football.
So says the man from Boston!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top