U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,042 posts, read 43,308,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please describe northeastern and midwestern culture. Compare and contrast.
What would you say the similarities and contrasts are?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 PM

88,550 posts, read 104,881,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What would you say the similarities and contrasts are?
Oh, G*d, I'm so brain dead tonight. I'll try.

I dunno, people get up, go to work, come home, eat dinner, watch TV/work crossword puzzles/post on CD, to to sleep. . . everywhere. Repeat.

People in both the NE and the MW tend to have family nearby, go to visit their family frequently, spend holidays with them, etc. There are people in Pittsburgh whose families have lived there for generations. Ditto Minneapolis. Denver, not so much.

Of all the places I have lived, 7 states in many parts of the country, I have never found people to be nicer, friendlier, more/less hardworking, etc in one area than another. You will find people with these attributes everywhere.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 PM

2,698 posts, read 2,142,704 times
Northeastern for sure

Old 05-10-2013, 03:34 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,237,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Some of the best examples of "prairie" architecture, for example, are in Buffalo.
Dude, talk about an overstatement...one of the best examples, sure. But there is only one Darwin D Martin House

Here's a decent indicator of the "northeasternness" of Buffalo/upstate in general:

The Most Post-Christian Cities

Old 05-10-2013, 04:02 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,237,472 times
Quote:
But I think Buffalo does identify as Midwestern to some degree. I remember when I went to visit SUNY Buffalo when I was looking at colleges, when they were giving us a campus tour, the guides explained that Buffalo was "nothing like New York City" and "really a Midwestern city." '

Part of it, I think, is the different balance of power in the states. Philly is much larger than Pittsburgh, but it's not anywhere near the huge gulf between NYC and Buffalo. Pittsburgh's response to Philly disclaiming the region is to argue that we're an equal component of the state. Buffalo doing the same thing would be laughable, so instead they just shrug their shoulders and look westward.
There are real comparisons to be made between Buffalo and Cleveland, I would say. On each of the several occasions I've visited Cleveland, driving into the city on I-90, I have been unable to resist remarking "man, this place really is Buffalo's big brother city." And I don't say it when I'm looking at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...moreso when I'm seeing the blight, which is about as prominent as Buffalo's along I-190. But that's superficial. Upthread Gnutella mentioned how migration patterns vis a vis NYC and Chicago can be instructive...and while I personally know more people who've relocated from the Buffalo area to Southern CA than any other region of the country (rather remarkably, I have two childhood friends from the neighborhood who independently relocated within a square mile of each other in Pasadena, FWIW), when it comes to NYC versus Chicago, NYC dominates. Buffalo is actually only about an hour and a half further drive from Chicago...and when I drove through Hammond, IN into the South Side of Chicago back in 2003, I did feel a bit at home then as well. But if you were to spend any time in Buffalo, NYC and Toronto are the cities that are "referenced" the most. These are the places that people are visiting and looking towards if not moving. (Boston might deserve mention, too.)

You mentioned UB--that might be the one cause for reverse migration (NYC to Buffalo), heh.

Overall, I just feel that the collective emotional identification is with the northeast, even if the feeling isn't reciprocated by ethnocentric New Yorkers

Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 PM

13,241 posts, read 10,723,471 times
Are we talking physically or culturally?

Old 05-13-2013, 02:31 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,324,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Are we talking physically or culturally?
Both.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM

13,241 posts, read 10,723,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Both.
I have never lived in Buffalo but I have lived in both Pittsburgh and Erie. Here is what I have come up with:

Pittsburgh location wise is the begining of the East Coast and start of the Midwest, but culturally is a little more midwest

Erie location wise is the same as Pittsburgh but culturally is alot midwest (slower)

Buffalo definitely East Coast and cuturally proably some Midwest since many of them frequent Erie

Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 AM

32,903 posts, read 61,310,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
They are in the northeast. Both culturally and geographically. I live in PA and would never in a million years consider these places anywhere but the NE. Decidedly so too.
You might live in Pennsylvania, but I don't think you've ever been to Erie if you believe this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The east coast is provincial in some ways, and one of those ways is that a lot of people there don't have a good grasp of what other parts of the country are really like. I grew up in the interior northeast. A lot of people on the coast have no idea that region exists or what it is. It certainly isn't part of the Midwest.
Ain't it the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Just because Erie is on a great lake does not mean it is like Chicago or Detroit.
There are more similarities than differences.
Quote:
There is a huge cultural difference between those western great lakes towns and those that are on the eastern lakes like Buffalo and Erie.
And what would those be, exactly?

Quote:
Erie has been "Pittsburghized" to some degree
Oh, good Lord. Bite your tongue.

Quote:
There has been a very recent accent shift of the city - it used to speak with a Interior North accent similar to Cleveland
I moved to Erie in 1959 (at age 9 weeks, so I'm almost a native), and have visited extensively there are recently as last weekend. How recent was this "shift", exactly, because no Erie native I know has ever spoken with an accent similar to Cleveland natives, and no Erie native I know now speaks with an accent similar to Pittsburgh natives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Think I-90, the Erie Canal and the Great Lakes for Cleveland;
Psst ... The Erie Canal is in New York. Perhaps you meant Buffalo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This whole subject is goofy.
LOL. Dontcha just hate pigeonholing?

Each city is what it is. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Here's the most restrictive official definition of the Northeast:

Are Pittsburgh and Buffalo on the map? If so, then they're Northeastern.
But Erie isn't on that map!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,042 posts, read 43,308,056 times
@OhioGirl81

So you think Erie has more in common with other Great Lakes cities to the west (and maybe Buffalo) rather than most of the northeast closer to the coast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.