U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 04-05-2014, 07:20 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,321 posts, read 18,439,286 times
Reputation: 14881

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
While I consider Pittsburgh to be a part of the NE, I do really question your understanding of the Midwest... (If you intended this paragraph to stand as your argument for why it is not Midwestern)
I believe that Pittsburgh qualifies as Northeastern for the following reasons:


1. It's located in a Northeastern state.

2. It was settled by British settlers and incorporated before 1800.

3. Its manufacturing specialty was advanced materials, not finished products.

4. It deindustrialized more completely than any Midwestern city.

5. Its total migration exchange with the rest of the Northeast is more than triple that with the Midwest.


Pittsburgh is part of the interior Northeast, which is a jarring dichotomy of coastal and Appalachian influences. This explains the increasingly progressive culture in the city of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County versus the hick culture in the outlying metropolitan counties and rural western Pennsylvania. Whatever Midwestern influence there's been in Pittsburgh has been on the wane since the deindustrialization of the region.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2014, 12:17 AM
 
346 posts, read 431,167 times
Reputation: 226
There's nothing northeastern about pittsburgh. i pretty much hate the northeast but think pittsburgh is the best city in the north by far. If anything it's like northern West Virginia....most people think of it as northeast because they don't know where it is on a map..they think everything in pennsylvania is near Philly
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Paris
1,711 posts, read 2,115,794 times
Reputation: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I believe that Pittsburgh qualifies as Northeastern for the following reasons:


1. It's located in a Northeastern state.

2. It was settled by British settlers and incorporated before 1800.

3. Its manufacturing specialty was advanced materials, not finished products.

4. It deindustrialized more completely than any Midwestern city.

5. Its total migration exchange with the rest of the Northeast is more than triple that with the Midwest.


Pittsburgh is part of the interior Northeast, which is a jarring dichotomy of coastal and Appalachian influences. This explains the increasingly progressive culture in the city of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County versus the hick culture in the outlying metropolitan counties and rural western Pennsylvania. Whatever Midwestern influence there's been in Pittsburgh has been on the wane since the deindustrialization of the region.
Ok, but I'm not sure why you quoted me. I just want to know about the paragraph I quoted from another poster which seemed to be his/her argument as to why Pittsburgh is not Midwestern. As I said, I believe Pittsburgh is more Northeastern, but I believe the other poster's paragraph could easily describe several Midwestern cities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2014, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,155 posts, read 14,522,313 times
Reputation: 7118
I'm from Connecticut and have visited Buffalo and Erie. To me, they were a blend between northeastern and Midwestern, plain and simple. Compared to Hartford, Providence and Boston, those cities are clearly Midwestern. But compared to places like Indianapolis and Columbus, they are clearly northeastern. So it's a blend.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2014, 10:52 AM
 
Location: The City
22,363 posts, read 32,862,713 times
Reputation: 7786
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm from Connecticut and have visited Buffalo and Erie. To me, they were a blend between northeastern and Midwestern, plain and simple. Compared to Hartford, Providence and Boston, those cities are clearly Midwestern. But compared to places like Indianapolis and Columbus, they are clearly northeastern. So it's a blend.
I think this is an interesting way to look at it - makes sense to me and a lot will be based the individual perspective

These places sort of don't fit perfectly into either really but could have enough similarities to draw comparisons to both in ome ways
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2014, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
6,150 posts, read 7,552,324 times
Reputation: 3858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pittsburgh is NOT Midwest. Its Northeast, most are now using the term "Interior NE" to create a distinction from the Coastal Cities, whatever.

Most people who just lump the Burgh in with Midwest are people that:

A) Never been to Pittsburgh

B) Never been to the Midwest

C) Grossly and Arrogantly over marginalize the Northeast as being the Bos-Wash Corridor and nothing else
Amen! Another thing, when people move out of Pittsburgh they go to other Northeastern cities, people who move to Pittsburgh tend to come from the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic more than the Midwest, and Pittsburghers go to the BosWash corridor instead of Chicago when they want to take a trip to the "big city". Besides Ohio, you will see many more NY, NJ, CT, and MA plates in Pittsburgh than other Midwestern states close by.

With Buffalo and Erie however, I think they have much more of a Midwestern influence than Pittsburgh could ever have. Pittsburgh is also closer to the BosWash corridor than Erie and Buffalo. Just a few points I think show Pittsburghers align much more with the rest of the Northeast than the Midwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Pittsburgh is part of the interior Northeast, which is a jarring dichotomy of coastal and Appalachian influences. This explains the increasingly progressive culture in the city of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County versus the hick culture in the outlying metropolitan counties and rural western Pennsylvania. Whatever Midwestern influence there's been in Pittsburgh has been on the wane since the deindustrialization of the region.
I agree with this. If you're in the city and suburbs of Pittsburgh, it feels like the Northeast. However if you get out into the exburbs and country, there is much more of a Appalachian feel to things.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2014, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
6,150 posts, read 7,552,324 times
Reputation: 3858
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
There's nothing northeastern about pittsburgh. i pretty much hate the northeast but think pittsburgh is the best city in the north by far. If anything it's like northern West Virginia....most people think of it as northeast because they don't know where it is on a map..they think everything in pennsylvania is near Philly
I know where my city is on a map and it is the Northeast. I question if you have ever been anywhere in the Midwest if you think because Pittsburgh is the only Northeastern city you like then it can't be in the Northeast.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2014, 09:15 PM
 
346 posts, read 431,167 times
Reputation: 226
ive been to ohio and detroit many times, pittsburgh and erie many times, drove to chicago once, never been west of chicago or to indianapolis. I've driven through cincinnati many times as well. A lot of people that don't live near it don't really know where Pittsburgh is and they assume it's near Philadelphia so that's maybe why they've gotten a northeast reputation. I'd say pitt is a cross between ohio and west virginia, neither of which are anything near northeast.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,229 posts, read 10,207,416 times
Reputation: 6603
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
ive been to ohio and detroit many times, pittsburgh and erie many times, drove to chicago once, never been west of chicago or to indianapolis. I've driven through cincinnati many times as well. A lot of people that don't live near it don't really know where Pittsburgh is and they assume it's near Philadelphia so that's maybe why they've gotten a northeast reputation. I'd say pitt is a cross between ohio and west virginia, neither of which are anything near northeast.
The reason Pittsburgh has a "northeast reputation" is because the city is in a Northeast State. Yeah its not near Philadelphia but so what?

The Northeast is not just the Bosh-Wash corridor.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,321 posts, read 18,439,286 times
Reputation: 14881
Total migration flow in the Pittsburgh MSA (2007-2011)

55,928 - Northeast
(Includes the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania [balance], Rhode Island and Vermont, plus the District of Columbia.)
31,809 - South
(Includes the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.)
18,841 - Midwest
(Includes the states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin.)
11,170 - West
(Includes the states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.)
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top