U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 01:51 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,463,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think this is an interesting way to look at it - makes sense to me and a lot will be based the individual perspective

These places sort of don't fit perfectly into either really but could have enough similarities to draw comparisons to both in ome ways
That's why Pitt/Erie are generally categorized as rust belt (and Pittsburgh doesn't sit too far outside the edges of Appalachia either). It's a zone that doesn't fall particularly well into either northeast or midwest conventions.

Buffalo I'd tend to agree is more northeastern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 03:00 PM

2,650 posts, read 5,160,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Pittsburghers May think of themselves as being in the northeast, but no one in the Boston-Washington corridor gives Pittsburgh any thought as to being a northeastern city.
Yep.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:19 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,847,632 times
The line between Midwest and East in my mind is the Cuyahoga River. That means the East Side of Cleveland, Youngstown, Erie, Pittsburgh, and all points East are all part of the East.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:43 PM

341 posts, read 420,485 times
I don't know. to me the northeast is anything east of rochester and anything north of richmond

Old 04-11-2014, 07:24 AM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
I don't know. to me the northeast is anything east of rochester and anything north of richmond
No..... It doesn't work like that. All of PA and NY is in the Northeast.

Also, VA isn't in the Northeast.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No..... It doesn't work like that. All of PA and NY is in the Northeast.

Also, VA isn't in the Northeast.
You do realize that state lines are completely arbitrary. Why is Erie, PA Northeast, but Conneaut, OH, which is just over the border Midwest, even though there is no obvious difference between the architecture, or culture of the two areas? The regions aren't be as simple as state borders. They have more to do with other factors such as history, and culture.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:56 AM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
You do realize that state lines are completely arbitrary. Why is Erie, PA Northeast, but Conneaut, OH, which is just over the border Midwest, even though there is no obvious difference between the architecture, or culture of the two areas? The regions aren't be as simple as state borders. They have more to do with other factors such as history, and culture.
While I see and respect your point, all of the places in question are Northeastern. Keep in mind that NE Ohio was settled by people from CT and was a part of that state's Western Reserve. So, it isn't surprising to see similarities between NE Ohio and other Northeastern communities.

This doesn't even get into the variation within the Midwest either.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:35 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,444,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
While I see and respect your point, all of the places in question are Northeastern. Keep in mind that NE Ohio was settled by people from CT and was a part of that state's Western Reserve. So, it isn't surprising to see similarities between NE Ohio and other Northeastern communities.

This doesn't even get into the variation within the Midwest either.
Agreed 100%

ALL PA & ALL NY = Northeastern
ALL OH = Midwestern

VA is iffy. I consider it Mid-Atlantic but some would say Southeastern

Old 04-11-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Agreed 100%

ALL PA & ALL NY = Northeastern
ALL OH = Midwestern

VA is iffy. I consider it Mid-Atlantic but some would say Southeastern
That makes no sense. If I'm in Ohio and walk 10 feet over the border into identical Pennsylvania, I'm in the East? Historical cultural influences have more to do with regional identity than state lines. Northeast Ohio is East of many points that are considered East Coast (such as North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida) so why does it automatically become Midwest just because it resides in a state that has been given some arbitrary label of Midwest.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:05 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,444,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
That makes no sense. If I'm in Ohio and walk 10 feet over the border into identical Pennsylvania, I'm in the East? Historical cultural influences have more to do with regional identity than state lines. Northeast Ohio is East of many points that are considered East Coast (such as North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida) so why does it automatically become Midwest just because it resides in a state that has been given some arbitrary label of Midwest.
Sorry but OH is not on the East Coast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.