U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 02:03 PM

5,950 posts, read 7,318,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
Interesting. I feel depressed when I get into Western PA. I grew up in Columbiana County and there is clearly a difference between the two regions. Western PA is nothing like Eastern PA. NE Ohio feels more Northeastern than Western PA. Western PA is clearly Appalachian. I can walk out my door and be in PA in five minutes and only about five minutes across the border do things look and feel different. The two regions couldn't be anymore different.

Cleverfield, I see what you're saying. Here's one thing though: Cleveland and Pittsburgh are not at all similar, siblings, cousins, or whatever posters on here like to give names to for cities that have common characteristics. That's a good thing, though.

I don't want to hear about built environment as a reason for belonging to a certain region. Brick, Pittsburgh? St. Louis, you know that city in the middle of the country, it has a lot of brick too, I guess it's northeastern as well. Many of the towns around me have New England style architecture and park-style center greens. The mountains are clearly a dividing point between east coast and other areas, and NE Ohio itself feels more like Western NY or NW PA, but not Appalachian like Western PA. Get down towards southern Columbiana County and it starts to feel a little W PA and WV, but not that deep mountain Appalachian vibe.

I like responding to posts from people from right across the border who say something as fatuous as "Ohio just feels more boring.". Yet I see thousands of PA cars every month shopping and being entertained right across the border. So you are bored in Ohio and I am depressed in PA. Around and around we go. Keep making comments like that, it makes for an interesting debate.
Unless its to go to the rock n roll and football hall of fame or Cedar Point I don't know of anyone who goes to Ohio. People who live in Allegheny County certainly aren't too often going shopping if ever in Ohio. Though by your logic all of the Ohio licensed cars I see driving around the city and suburban malls must mean Ohio is depressing too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 02:09 PM

86,986 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I haven't spent time in any of those cities (though visited Chicago for a short time), but judging from the numbers those ethnicites look generally less prominent than the Northeast (except for maybe Chicago). Certainly in few parts of the Midwest Italian or Jewish isn't among the most common ethnicities, which is true in much of the Northeast. I've seen the Northeast = WASP stereotype tossed around before on the forum, which is odd. Except for parts of New England, WASP as in White Anglo-Saxon Protestant is if anything less common than most of the country.
Depends on how you define WASP, I suppose. Are the Germans WASPs? Are the Scandinavians? Many of them are Lutherans. Some people don't even include Lutherans in Protestantism.

And I'm not saying they're the most prominent ethnicities. I think Jewish is not among the top ethnicities/religions most everywhere in the US, outside of very small areas, e.g. certain neighborhoods. Even in Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh, the supposedly Jewish section of town (certainly historically so), the majority are not nor ever were Jewish. My dad had some family in Sq. Hill, German Lutherans. What I am saying, to borrow a word from Canada, they are visible groups. It's not like it's one or two families.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Depends on how you define WASP, I suppose. Are the Germans WASPs? Are the Scandinavians? Many of them are Lutherans. Some people don't even include Lutherans in Protestantism.
No, WASP, means Anglo-Saxon, so of English descent. Not sure where to place Scotch-Irish, but they're British but not English so probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And I'm not saying they're the most prominent ethnicities. I think Jewish is not among the top ethnicities/religions most everywhere in the US, outside of very small areas, e.g. certain neighborhoods. Even in Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh, the supposedly Jewish section of town (certainly historically so), the majority are not nor ever were Jewish. My dad had some family in Sq. Hill, German Lutherans. What I am saying, to borrow a word from Canada, they are visible groups. It's not like it's one or two families.
Before demographic transitions of the last fifty years or so, Jewish was the most common ethnicity in NYC, by a plurality (about 25%) rather than a majority, with many neighborhoods being majority Jewish. Still probably the most common white ethnicity in NYC, for example in Manhattan about 40% of the white non-hispanic population. Today in Long Island, majority Jewish neighborhoods are not exactly rare. In Philadelphia, they were maybe in the top 2 or 3 ethnicities, I saw a number of about 20% of the city's population at one peak. Boston wasn't as high, but they were still one of the more common ethnicities, probably more common than German. The larger Midwestern cities don't get this pattern.

Ditto with Italian-American. There is an Italian population outside of the Northeast , but the Northeast is distinctive (with some exceptions) for Italian being among the top ethncities.

Last edited by nei; 04-13-2014 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 PM

64 posts, read 119,752 times
Are we really questioning if cities located in northeastern states are the midwest or northeast? And this question should be turned around since the northeast was colonized before the midwest.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 AM

86,986 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No, WASP, means Anglo-Saxon, so of English descent. Not sure where to place Scotch-Irish, but they're British but not English so probably not.
But, but, but. . .The Saxons were from present-day Germany! It gets confusing.
Saxons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-15-2014, 11:52 AM

3,178 posts, read 3,845,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiazer123 View Post
Are we really questioning if cities located in northeastern states are the midwest or northeast? And this question should be turned around since the northeast was colonized before the midwest.
Buffalo and Erie are more like Cleveland than anything on the East Coast, so I can see where the confusion lies.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:51 PM

56,533 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Buffalo and Erie are more like Cleveland than anything on the East Coast, so I can see where the confusion lies.
Some could say that Cleveland is more like interior Northeastern areas than Midwestern areas too. So, it may be more of Cleveland being an outlier in its area than the areas in question being outliers in the Northeast.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Wouldnt Cleveland have the culture of Buffalo and Pittsburgh sense those cities were settled before Cleveland?

Old 04-15-2014, 06:49 PM

3,178 posts, read 3,845,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiazer123 View Post
Wouldnt Cleveland have the culture of Buffalo and Pittsburgh sense those cities were settled before Cleveland?
I'm not sure I follow you, but Cleveland and Buffalo were settled around the same time. Cleveland was settled in 1796, Buffalo in 1801, Pittsburgh slightly earlier at 1758.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow you, but Cleveland and Buffalo were settled around the same time. Cleveland was settled in 1796, Buffalo in 1801, Pittsburgh slightly earlier at 1758.
Buffalo was settled 1789.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.