U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:58 PM

5,902 posts, read 7,242,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Also comparing this to Cleveland, while it's not much further west than Pittsburgh, the migration patterns are rather reversed with Midwestern cities being the top places where other people move in and out from. Even in Cleveland, the common state plates I saw were Indiana, Michigan and Illinois while here in Pittsburgh they tend to be Maryland, New York, and Virginia.
There are many vehicles driving around the Detroit area with New York license plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
And yet, you know what industry Pennsylvania has never been a major player in? Cars. That's the signature industry of the Midwest, starting in Lordstown, OH. Cleveland produced some steel, but its true calling card was automotive components, mechanisms and accessories. A great many of them were invented there. Conversely, Pittsburgh provided the paint and glass for cars, but its true calling card was steel, aluminum and other metals.

The first foreign car plant was in Pittsburgh - Volkswagen.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:38 AM

13,321 posts, read 18,436,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The first foreign car plant was in Pittsburgh - Volkswagen.
I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that Pennsylvania has manufactured far fewer cars than Ohio and other Midwestern states.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that Pennsylvania has manufactured far fewer cars than Ohio and other Midwestern states.
New York, Massachusetts, Maryland, and New Jersey have all had auto assembly plants. That is not a midwest thing.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:10 AM

13,321 posts, read 18,436,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
New York, Massachusetts, Maryland, and New Jersey have all had auto assembly plants. That is not a midwest thing.
The Midwest has manufactured many more cars than the Northeast has.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:54 PM

199 posts, read 457,452 times
Having lived in Pittsburgh and having a native Pittsburgher for a husband (and therefore a clan of native Pittsburghers as my in-laws), I have to say that Pittsburgh is absolutely a northeastern city through and through and its natives will attest to that.

I spent several years there and in that entire time, my mother-in-law and I went twice a year to New York City for random shopping/visits. We traveled the four hours to DC a time or two. I went back and forth to Philly/South Jersey with my friend more times than I could count. We vacationed in the Laurel Highlands, Poconos, and the Finger Lakes when we weren't visiting the Jersey shore.

Not once did we ever go to Chicago for a jaunt.

The furthest west I have ever been on the Turnpike is the Monroeville exit and that is at the influence of my family. The only time we ever traveled into Ohio was enroute to Nashville--everything else was east.

Take it as you will.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
Having lived in Pittsburgh and having a native Pittsburgher for a husband (and therefore a clan of native Pittsburghers as my in-laws), I have to say that Pittsburgh is absolutely a northeastern city through and through and its natives will attest to that.

I spent several years there and in that entire time, my mother-in-law and I went twice a year to New York City for random shopping/visits. We traveled the four hours to DC a time or two. I went back and forth to Philly/South Jersey with my friend more times than I could count. We vacationed in the Laurel Highlands, Poconos, and the Finger Lakes when we weren't visiting the Jersey shore.

Not once did we ever go to Chicago for a jaunt.

The furthest west I have ever been on the Turnpike is the Monroeville exit and that is at the influence of my family. The only time we ever traveled into Ohio was enroute to Nashville--everything else was east.

Take it as you will.

When I lived in southwest Ohio, my friends and neighbors took vacations in the south. That does not make Ohio a southern state.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:05 PM

199 posts, read 457,452 times
It was a little more than vacation, and I was going more for the identity. When my MIL wanted to go to the big city for a shopping weekend, Chicago was never brought up. It was always New York.

If you ask any one of my in-laws, all born and bred Pittsburghers, they say they're northeastern. They laugh if anyone suggests otherwise.

I'm not the first on this thread or ever to say that.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:33 PM

366 posts, read 310,735 times
Bumping this since this discussion just surfaced on a different thread.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:39 PM

28,927 posts, read 27,128,507 times
Most posters here would probably say DC and Baltimore are culturally Northeastern. Yet those cities are geographically located in the South.

These cities have the reverse issue. They are geographically located in Northeastern states. But does being geographically located in a Northeastern state necessarily mean that they are culturally "Northeastern" or "Eastern" or "East Coast" or whatever? Or can they be similar to DC and Baltimore insofar as they are culturally distinct from the cities they share a region with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.