U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 09:36 AM

28,284 posts, read 26,300,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No, I don't think obnoxious bragging is "normal" in New York City despite the stereotype; but it is more tolerated. I had a friend that moved from New York City to Chicago and she noticed a cultural difference in caring more about civility and following rules [a friend of hers told people she met how she billed fun stuff to her company that she shouldn't; according to her the Midwesterners were all appalled rather than thinking she was clever.
I think "civility" might be a better fit than "humility" for the Midwest. Tabloids such as the New York Post and the Philadelphia Daily News with captions like "DOOMED: This man is about to be crushed by a subway!" probably wouldn't fly in Chicago or Detroit. Nor would a mayor threatening to take a news crew back into the alley for a fist fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUQSKrxWTQ4

Boston is more toned down than NYC and Philly but I'd say it has a lot of that "tood" as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 09:40 AM

12,455 posts, read 11,958,801 times
I remember when I first moved from Connecticut to Massachusetts for college, being astounded that strangers hold open doors for you there. Drivers will also stop at a crosswalk and wait for you to cross if you're waiting on the sidewalk. Not in Boston of course, but elsewhere in the state.

So yeah, I don't think that attitude is a universal Northeastern trait, even in the "core" of the Northeast.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I remember when I first moved from Connecticut to Massachusetts for college, being astounded that strangers hold open doors for you there. Drivers will also stop at a crosswalk and wait for you to cross if you're waiting on the sidewalk. Not in Boston of course, but elsewhere in the state.

So yeah, I don't think that attitude is a universal Northeastern trait, even in the "core" of the Northeast.
It doesn't have to be universal. There are manipulative, foul-mouthed sociopaths in Alabama. There are polite, soft-spoken Born Again Christians in Bed Stuy. There are flaming liberals in Mississippi and there are hard core conservatives in Manhattan. We're talking about a mean here and a more general attitude that's more prevalent in some places than others.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It doesn't have to be universal. There are manipulative, foul-mouthed sociopaths in Alabama. There are polite, soft-spoken Born Again Christians in Bed Stuy. There are flaming liberals in Mississippi and there are hard core conservatives in Manhattan. We're talking about a mean here and a more general attitude that's more prevalent in some places than others.
Of course. But most of the examples you've been giving for the past ten pages or (except for the stuff regarding educational attainment) have been basically stereotypes and gross generalizations. That's pretty thin gruel any way you heat it up.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Of course. But most of the examples you've been giving for the past ten pages or (except for the stuff regarding educational attainment) have been basically stereotypes and gross generalizations. That's pretty thin gruel any way you heat it up.
It's not a stereotype. That's probably the most misused word on this forum along with "cherrypick." A stereotype is applying something to everyone. Saying that someone's a criminal because they happen to be a Black male is a stereotype. Saying that New York has a lack of civility, at least compared to other places, is not a stereotype because there's no implication that everybody there is like that. It's simply a fact that Philadelphia, generally speaking, has more attitude than Augusta.

Not everything can be quantified. I prefer data over anecdote because it keeps the discussion in these threads more rational. But there are qualitative differences between cities as well and general attitude and decorum is one of those differences.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not a stereotype. That's probably the most misused word on this forum along with "cherrypick." A stereotype is applying something to everyone. Saying that someone's a criminal because they happen to be a Black male is a stereotype. Saying that New York has a lack of civility, at least compared to other places, is not a stereotype because there's no implication that everybody there is like that. It's simply a fact that Philadelphia, generally speaking, has more attitude than Augusta.

Not everything can be quantified. I prefer data over anecdote because it keeps the discussion in these threads more rational. But there are qualitative differences between cities as well and general attitude and decorum is one of those differences.
It might not be stereotypical to note that New York and Philly has a lack of civility. But it is a stereotype to then apply it to the entire Northeast - even if you modify Northeast to apply to nothing but the Boston-Washington corridor and New England.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
It might not be stereotypical to note that New York and Philly has a lack of civility. But it is a stereotype to then apply it to the entire Northeast - even if you modify Northeast to apply to nothing but the Boston-Washington corridor and New England.
I didn't apply it to the entire Northeast. I was specific in what I said. Besides, I've been talking about the major metro areas this entire time, not quaint rustic towns in Maine and Iowa.

If we're going to be even more specific and talk about Pittsburgh, then its attitude would definitely be more like Cleveland than Philly's.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:23 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,758,514 times
So is Rochester "midwestern"? Syracuse?

Old 01-22-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
So is Rochester "midwestern"? Syracuse?
Do they call soda "pop" in Syracuse?

Old 01-22-2016, 12:06 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,758,514 times
Is Rapid City "midwestern"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.