U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2016, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726

Advertisements

Something else I associate largely with the Upper Midwest is a very strong Polish/Eastern European influence. I had no idea what paczki was until I met someone from Michigan. I had no idea what a pierogi was at all until people talked about them on City-Data.

It's Paczki Season

Also a stronger beer drinking tradition, sauerkraut, coleslaw, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2016, 12:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,989 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Reputation: 14805
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Something else I associate largely with the Upper Midwest is a very strong Polish/Eastern European influence. I had no idea what paczki was until I met someone from Michigan. I had no idea what a pierogi was at all until people talked about them on City-Data.
I heard of them somewhere growing up in the NYC area [though most often someone who said his ancestors were from Poland was Polish Jewish]. I've eaten them in Brooklyn a number of times. The rural farm areas here have a large Polish population, they own most of the farms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2016, 12:19 PM
 
56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12507
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Do they call soda "pop" in Syracuse?
No and Rochester is borderline, but seems to be more Soda than Pop.

Also, the problem with the Eastern European/Slavic/Polish aspect is that there are places within the Bos-Wash corridor that have high or at least substantial percentages of said folks. New Britain CT and Linden NJ are a couple that come to mind.

Paczki and pierogies are big in Buffalo, but they are pretty big in Syracuse and pretty much any Upstate NY city with a legitimate Eastern European/Polish/Ukrainian/Slavic population. For instance, if you go to the Ukrainian club on Syracuse's West Side, instead of pierogies, they call it pyrophy.

On the other hand, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Erie have above average/high Italian percentages like other Northeastern metros.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-22-2016 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2016, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I heard of them somewhere growing up in the NYC area [though most often someone who said his ancestors were from Poland was Polish Jewish]. I've eaten them in Brooklyn a number of times. The rural farm areas here have a large Polish population, they own most of the farms.
No paczki near me. I can get beef patties and roti though.

The Polish influence seems much stronger the farther west you go. Buffalo's Polish population is nearly the same size as its Italian and Irish population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2016, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, the problem with the Eastern European/Slavic/Polish aspect is that there are places within the Bos-Wash corridor that have high or at least substantial percentages of said folks. New Britain CT and Linden NJ are a couple that come to mind.
There are pockets of Polish influence along the BosWash corridor just as there are pockets of Italian influence in many Midwestern cities. It's more a matter of degree than anything. Polish influence tends to be stronger in the Midwest than the Northeast.

Your argument is sort of like saying that the Bay Area and Philadelphia are similar with respect to the influence of their Black populations because you can get soul food in Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2016, 12:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,989 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Reputation: 14805
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No paczki near me. I can get beef patties and roti though.

The Polish influence seems much stronger the farther west you go. Buffalo's Polish population is nearly the same size as its Italian and Irish population.
The rather rural Franklin county in Western Massachusetts is 23% English + American, 20% French + French Canadian, 20% Irish,12% Polish and 9% Italian. So more Polish than Italian.

2012 election results in Franklin County:

72% Obama
25% Romney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2016, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The rather rural Franklin county in Western Massachusetts is 23% English + American, 20% French + French Canadian, 20% Irish,12% Polish and 9% Italian. So more Polish than Italian.
Metro Cleveland is Blacker than Nashville...

Most of the large metros of the Upper Midwest seem to have German as their largest European ancestry with large Polish populations relative to Eastern metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2016, 12:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,989 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Reputation: 14805
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Metro Cleveland is Blacker than Nashville...
huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2016, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
huh?
My point was that there's a gradient where the U.S. becomes more Polish when going from East to West. This is also true for the Black population when moving from North to South. As with most things in life, there are exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2016, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
On the other hand, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Erie have above average/high Italian percentages like other Northeastern metros.
So does Cleveland. German is also the largest European ancestry in both metros.

Other than the state border being where it is, what makes Buffalo and Cleveland so different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top