Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 12:56 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Something else I associate largely with the Upper Midwest is a very strong Polish/Eastern European influence. I had no idea what paczki was until I met someone from Michigan. I had no idea what a pierogi was at all until people talked about them on City-Data.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ki-season.html

Also a stronger beer drinking tradition, sauerkraut, coleslaw, etc.
Is Northeastern PA also part of the Midwest then? Luzerne County (where Wilkes-Barre is located) is the only pluraity Polish county in the country. Scranton is up there too. And it's to the east of Baltimore.

Growing up in Connecticut, I knew a lot of people who were Polish too. When the mines closed down in NEPA a lot of people moved to Connecticut for jobs. So many that when my parents moved up and still had PA plates, everyone presumed they were from the Scranton area. Everyone knew what pirogis where as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 01:00 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Is Northeastern PA also part of the Midwest then? Luzerne County (where Wilkes-Barre is located) is the only pluraity Polish county in the country. Scranton is up there too. And it's to the east of Baltimore.
Irish and Italian are actually larger ancestries in the Scranton-Wilkes Barre metro though it does have a large Polish population. Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee and Pittsburgh all have German as their largest European ancestries and also have very large Polish populations. You really only see that combination in the Midwest. Calling soda "pop" is the icing on the cake.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Irish and Italian are actually larger ancestries in the Scranton-Wilkes Barre metro though it does have a large Polish population. Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee and Pittsburgh all have German as their largest European ancestries and also have very large Polish populations. You really only see that combination in the Midwest. Calling soda "pop" is the icing on the cake.
And in Eastern Pennsylvania. Lancaster County is 38% German ancestry, for example.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And in Eastern Pennsylvania. Lancaster County is 38% German ancestry, for example.
Lancaster County doesn't have a big Polish population. I said a "combination" so that means at least two different things.

It's clear these cities have a lot in common. And because they are much closer to cities in the Midwest than any other major cities in the East, it's easy to see why some people classify them as Midwestern.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:14 PM

This is close to the image a lot of people have of the Urban Midwest. The movie was set and filmed in the Pittsburgh area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gung_Ho_(film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlWlhyX6rb0

Old 01-22-2016, 01:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Where are you guys getting these ethnicity stats? I'd like to look some up. Google not being much help.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Lancaster County doesn't have a big Polish population. I said a "combination" so that means at least two different things.

It's clear these cities have a lot in common. And because they are much closer to cities in the Midwest than any other major cities in the East, it's easy to see why some people classify them as Midwestern.
But not the people who live there!

Old 01-22-2016, 01:49 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
So does Cleveland. German is also the largest European ancestry in both metros.

Other than the state border being where it is, what makes Buffalo and Cleveland so different?
If anything, it shows that Cleveland has more in common with Interior Northeastern areas than most other Midwestern areas.

I believe that Buffalo and Pittsburgh are more Italian than Cleveland though. In fact, the Buffalo and Pittsburgh metros are more Italian than the NYC metro by about 3% or so.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:50 PM

This is how Bajan Foxworthy would put it, Kat.

If you live entirely to the west of the Chesapeake Bay Watershed, you might could be a Midwesterner.

If you call a carbonated beverage "pop," you might could be a Midwesterner.

If your metro is located in the core of the Rust Belt, you might could be a Midwesterner.

If your metro suffered large population declines after 1970, you may just be a Midwesterner.

If Germans are the largest European ethnic group in your metro, you might could be a Midwesterner.

If your hometown is known for Eastern European inspired foods (i.e., pierogi), you might could be a Midwesterner.

If the African American population in your metro came mostly from Alabama and Mississippi, you might could be a Midwesterner.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe that Buffalo and Pittsburgh are more Italian than Cleveland though. In fact, the Buffalo and Pittsburgh metros are more Italian than the NYC metro by about 3% or so.
Italians make up a larger share of the non-Hispanic White population in Cleveland though. So it depends on how you look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.