U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:12 AM

87,038 posts, read 102,742,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I did open your link. And it shows Iowa's "top" industry as agriculture. How does that contradict my claim that it is a heavily agricultural state?
No, it says its #1 industry is manufacturing! I don't know why they ordered them that way.

Here's what Wiki has to say:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa#Major_cities
"Iowa's population is more urban than rural, with 61 percent living in urban areas in 2000, a trend that began in the early 20th century.[60]" Now that's 16 years ago. The trend has only accelerated since then. Here's more: "Directly and indirectly, agriculture has been a major component of Iowa's economy. As of 2007 the direct production and sale of raw agricultural products contributed only about 3.5% of Iowa's gross state product.[102] In 2002 the total impact of the indirect role of agriculture in Iowa's economy, including agriculture-affiliated business, was calculated at 16.4% in terms of value added and 24.3% in terms of total output. This was lower than the economic impact of non-farm manufacturing, which accounted for 22.4% of total value added and 26.5% of total output.[103]"

Before I reply to any more of your posts, please tell me what your experience with the midwest actually is. How many midwestern states have you been to? For how long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 10:37 AM

28,284 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No, it says its #1 industry is manufacturing! I don't know why they ordered them that way.
This is your source.

Top 5 Industries in Florida: What Parts of the Economy Are Strongest?

So the Top 5 industries in Florida, according to your source, are aerospace, life sciences, manufacturing, security and information technology. Now if I read this the way you tend to read things, then the conclusion is that tourism is not a big part of Florida's economy whatsoever. It's no different from Idaho in this regard. This must be especially true since Newsmax, which apparently has the same credibility as the Bureau of Labor Statistics, has said so.

My point was never that the majority of Iowans lived and worked on farms or even that agriculture was the biggest industry in the state. These are phantom arguments you made up. I clearly said that Iowa was heavily dependent on agriculture, which is true considering that it grosses second in total agricultural receipts behind California. If Iowa is not a heavily dependent agricultural state, then there are no agricultural states in the U.S., period. If your only point is that 50% of Iowans don't work on farms, then you're wasting finger strength.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:51 AM

28,284 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Also given the chance to look into it I think you'd find Western Massachusetts to be significantly different from coastal MA. I only say this because people often make the mistake of taking Boston to be the example of the entire state. This happens to too many northeastern states.
I lived in Massachusetts for a long time. I don't have as much experience with Western Mass other than friends who attended Mount Holyoke. I *do* have experience in Iowa from volunteering on political campaigns. They seemed like completely different places.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-26-2016 at 11:37 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 11:05 AM

11,888 posts, read 10,409,530 times
I know some very liberal people in Philly that are originally from Iowa. I have never been there but know it is definitely not a sea of red.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:17 PM

87,038 posts, read 102,742,261 times
Quote:
This is your source.

Top 5 Industries in Florida: What Parts of the Economy Are Strongest?

So the Top 5 industries in Florida, according to your source, are aerospace, life sciences, manufacturing, security and information technology. Now if I read this the way you tend to read things, then the conclusion is that tourism is not a big part of Florida's economy whatsoever. It's no different from Idaho in this regard. This must be especially true since Newsmax, which apparently has the same credibility as the Bureau of Labor Statistics, has said so.

My point was never that the majority of Iowans lived and worked on farms or even that agriculture was the biggest industry in the state. These are phantom arguments you made up. I clearly said that Iowa was heavily dependent on agriculture, which is true considering that it grosses second in total agricultural receipts behind California. If Iowa is not a heavily dependent agricultural state, then there are no agricultural states in the U.S., period. If your only point is that 50% of Iowans don't work on farms, then you're wasting finger strength.
Er, no. I posted a link about the top 5 industries in IOWA. http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/636536 We are not talking about Florida??? Before I go any further, answer my question about your familiarity with the midwest.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:50 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,750,500 times
Quote:
I lived in Massachusetts for a long time. I don't have as much experience with Western Mass other than friends who attended Mount Holyoke. I *do* have experience in Iowa from volunteering on political campaigns. They seemed like completely different places.
Again you are adding extra context to my literal statements. Stop that.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,070,148 times
An amusing twitter conversation on what counts as "midwest"

Old 01-27-2016, 07:09 PM

56,766 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

You might as well get rid of much of the Woodward Avenue Corridor in Metro Detroit as well, in that case.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:14 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,750,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

I am curious as to why they always want to toss out Chicago. That's like southerners claiming Atlanta isn't southern. Stupid.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:47 AM

12,455 posts, read 11,963,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I am curious as to why they always want to toss out Chicago. That's like southerners claiming Atlanta isn't southern. Stupid.
Josh Barro is from NYC. He's making fun of the attitudes of New Yorkers towards the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.