U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:58 PM

56,648 posts, read 80,952,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenstratpick View Post
Except the fact that culturally Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Rochester are far more similar to Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit and Chicago

Its ludicrous to suggest otherwise
No it isn't ludicrous......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 06:59 PM

65 posts, read 35,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No it isn't ludicrous......
Yeah, actually it is..... nothing similar at all.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Just false......
Perhaps you have some evidence that supports your claim....but I doubt it

Old 02-02-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you have some evidence that supports your claim....but I doubt it
Read the previous posts in the thread and it is not ludicrous. Northeastern does not equal the Bos-Wash corridor and this has been done many times over.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Read the previous posts in the thread and it is not ludicrous. Northeastern does not equal the Bos-Wash corridor and this has been done many times over.
Nobody in the thread gave any evidence either. I was born and raised in Western NY (Rochester) and nobody relates to New York City there. It is considered a place to visit from time to time

If you are talking only geographically then yes, but culturally not at all alike

Many of the posts earlier were just people that were angry that they were compared to the Midwest which the media stereotypes negatively. A small group on here apparently wants to be something they are not

Old 02-02-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Nobody in the thread gave any evidence either. I was born and raised in Western NY (Rochester) and nobody relates to New York City there. It is considered a place to visit from time to time

If you are talking only geographically then yes, but culturally not at all alike

Many of the posts earlier were just people that were angry that they were compared to the Midwest which the media stereotypes negatively. A small group on here apparently wants to be something they are not
Again, we already went over the Coastal/Bos-Wash portion of the Northeast and the Interior Northeast.

It doesn't have anything to do with a negative image or anything else. All of these areas are Northeastern. It is no different from the differences within the Midwest between Great Lakes areas and parts of the region in the Plains or further south.

There also was mention of being a part of the Great Lakes region, but that doesn't equal Midwestern either.

As mentioned before, all of this has been mentioned earlier in the thread. I live only an hour east and Rochester is Northeastern.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Again, we already went over the Coastal/Bos-Wash portion of the Northeast and the Interior Northeast.

It doesn't have anything to do with a negative image or anything else. All of these areas are Northeastern. It is no different from the differences within the Midwest between Great Lakes areas and parts of the region in the Plains or further south.

As mentioned before, all of this has been mentioned earlier in the thread and I live only an hour east.
Well, I saw alot of angry posts by those who said that they were part of the Northeast without any real points being made

As far as your point you are talking geography and I am talking culturally

So in a sense we are both right

Culturally they are Great Lakes/Midwest and geographically they are Northeast

Old 02-02-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Well, I saw alot of angry posts by those who said that they were part of the Northeast without any real points being made

As far as your point you are talking geography and I am talking culturally

So in a sense we are both right

Culturally they are Great Lakes/Midwest and geographically they are Northeast
How is it Midwestern then? Does this make Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and Milwaukee Northeastern?

Again, people made their points and made the difference between different parts of the Northeast. That still doesn't make the Interior Northeast "Midwestern". If we say "Great Lakes", then that is different, as it goes across different regions and has cultural differences within it.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:25 PM

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...ionalUSmap.jpg

This map is one of many that have it down best. Probably the most accurate as it has Texas as its own region and the Great Lakes as its own region

Old 02-02-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
How is it Midwestern then? Does this make Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and Milwaukee Northeastern?

Again, people made their points and made the difference between different parts of the Northeast. That still doesn't make the Interior Northeast "Midwestern". If we say "Great Lakes", then that is different, as it goes across different regions and has cultural differences within it.
No they did not make their points. People were just arguing and butthurt at the comparison. The cultural similarites are much greater with the Midwest/Great Lakes than the Northeastern seaboard. The climate regions are different, the accents are different, the topography is different

I just get the feeling that you like arguing

Basically, you have no evidence to support your claims other that a few posters who you agreed with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.