U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2016, 07:30 PM
 
56,563 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12499

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenstratpick View Post


This map is one of many that have it down best. Probably the most accurate as it has Texas as its own region and the Great Lakes as its own region
What this in reference to? Why isn't Rochester, Syracuse or Watertown considered to be Great Lakes? A lot of people may not realize that the Adirondacks aren't a part of Appalachia due to not being considered an Appalachian mountain range and has a different geological history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2016, 07:35 PM
 
65 posts, read 35,298 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What this in reference to? Why isn't Rochester, Syracuse or Watertown considered to be Great Lakes? A lot of people may not realize that the Adirondacks aren't a part of Appalachia due to not being considered an Appalachain mountain range and has a different geological history.
Look at the map again it just covers Rochester. Also

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...valley-map.png


Adirondaks are on edge of Apps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 07:36 PM
 
56,563 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenstratpick View Post
Look at the map again it just covers Rochester. Also




Adirondaks are on edge of Apps
What covers Rochester? It is the Wikipedia page map from the Appalachian Mountains article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 07:40 PM
 
65 posts, read 35,298 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What covers Rochester? It is the Wikipedia page map from the Appalachian Mountains article.
My first map, the second map has the mountains area only

Rochester is in the far Northeastern part of Great Lakes region
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Reputation: 5374
Just gonna throw this out there:

I've known many people both native to the northeast and to the Midwest that have claimed the Ontario plains region of NY state to feel remarkably like the Midwest. That includes Rochester.

My point being that it isn't too far-fetched that the area would have Midwestern leaning people. It's certainly quite different than Appalachian NY where I live and New England NY further east.

But like I said in another thread, or maybe this one earlier, Midwestern is more of an identity than a region, socially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 10:34 PM
 
56,563 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Just gonna throw this out there:

I've known many people both native to the northeast and to the Midwest that have claimed the Ontario plains region of NY state to feel remarkably like the Midwest. That includes Rochester.

My point being that it isn't too far-fetched that the area would have Midwestern leaning people. It's certainly quite different than Appalachian NY where I live and New England NY further east.

But like I said in another thread, or maybe this one earlier, Midwestern is more of an identity than a region, socially.
Could it be that were really talking about a Great Lakes identity versus a "Midwestern" social identity, as the Plains will be different than what is in the Great Lakes, which will be different than say the southern portions if IL, IN and OH.

Also, where does that put Syracuse, which is minutes from Lake Ontario and has a portion of metro that touches that lake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Could it be that were really talking about a Great Lakes identity versus a "Midwestern" social identity, as the Plains will be different than what is in the Great Lakes, which will be different than say the southern portions if IL, IN and OH.

Also, where does that put Syracuse, which is minutes from Lake Ontario and has a portion of metro that touches that lake?
Well, again, I'm not arguing rigid lines here. I'm arguing identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,416 posts, read 11,917,166 times
Reputation: 10536
I'm totally not going to argue about Upstate NY, because I know almost nothing about it, but anyone who calls Pittsburgh a "Great Lakes" city needs to check their head. Driving from here to Erie takes the same time as it would take you to drive from Columbus to Sandusky, or Indianapolis to Gary. It' only about a half an hour less than the time it takes to drive fro Albany to Lake Ontario. Pittsburgh is not part of the great lakes cultural region. It's part of Appalachia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 07:40 AM
 
56,563 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Well, again, I'm not arguing rigid lines here. I'm arguing identity.
Same here and I actually spent time in MI. While there are some similarities, there are some differences, which have been mentioned earlier in the thread. Another aspect was in terms of urban culture in regards to where the Upstate NY cities look towards the East; during my time in MI, it seems like it was more split between East and West Coast musical preferences and you also had the aspects more unique to Detroit and even Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 07:50 AM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,131 posts, read 9,901,913 times
Reputation: 6423
CKhthankgod is correct. The Adirondacks are NOT part of Appalachia. Nor is Rochester and Syracuse. And the boundary between the South and Appalachia seems very random, not to mention Appalachia extends to Illinois??? Not sure where that map came from on page 60 but there are some obvious mistakes - and that is just starting with Appalachia.

Map of the Appalachian Region - Appalachian Regional Commission This is a better map of Appalachia and even this map includes counties that really not Appalachian (notably in Mississippi) that joined because of the potential government benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top