U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:15 AM

4,387 posts, read 5,021,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Same here and I actually spent time in MI. While there are some similarities, there are some differences, which have been mentioned earlier in the thread. Another aspect was in terms of urban culture in regards to where the Upstate NY cities look towards the East; during my time in MI, it seems like it was more split between East and West Coast musical preferences and you also had the aspects more unique to Detroit and even Chicago.
I don't disagree.

I'm really not trying to convince anybody of anything on a personal level, I'm just leaving the idea open for people who take to the Midwest label in upstate NY.

The only real personal connection comes from the situation when people tell me that I'm not from Appalachia because I live in NY or northern PA, it really bothers me. That's where I've always identified myself with and on a rigid level geography alone is on my side. For every difference there is also a similarity this far north.

Based on that I don't like to alienate people from, say, Ontario county NY when they say they are or identify with 'Midwestern'.

I feel it'd make me a hypocrite since I am such a defender of my own sub-region of the state and its various affinities.

One thing I can say for absolute fact is that there are a lot of native up-staters who do not identify eastward at all. Rather to the south or west. The majority of in-state dissenters I've met are typically transplanted from downstate or Jersey or somewhere in eastern NY or New England. It stands to reason that they have eastern leaning identities.

In my experience Rochester west is where you really start hearing the Midwest sentiment. Not so much Syracuse which does seem to be fairly solid in its central-NY identity. The "line" seems to be Seneca lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 09:47 AM

59,661 posts, read 84,509,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I don't disagree.

I'm really not trying to convince anybody of anything on a personal level, I'm just leaving the idea open for people who take to the Midwest label in upstate NY.

The only real personal connection comes from the situation when people tell me that I'm not from Appalachia because I live in NY or northern PA, it really bothers me. That's where I've always identified myself with and on a rigid level geography alone is on my side. For every difference there is also a similarity this far north.

Based on that I don't like to alienate people from, say, Ontario county NY when they say they are or identify with 'Midwestern'.

I feel it'd make me a hypocrite since I am such a defender of my own sub-region of the state and its various affinities.

One thing I can say for absolute fact is that there are a lot of native up-staters who do not identify eastward at all. Rather to the south or west. The majority of in-state dissenters I've met are typically transplanted from downstate or Jersey or somewhere in eastern NY or New England. It stands to reason that they have eastern leaning identities.

In my experience Rochester west is where you really start hearing the Midwest sentiment. Not so much Syracuse which does seem to be fairly solid in its central-NY identity. The "line" seems to be Seneca lake.
I understand this and places can identify with multiple sub regions. You get that even within states.

Some the Appalachian NY aspect may be more of a rural aspect versus the cities/bigger metros, which will have different characteristics.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-03-2016 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.