U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 PM

56,846 posts, read 81,192,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
List of U.S. states by African-American population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every state of the Confederacy (excluding Texas) has a higher % as well as Maryland and Delaware. Every other American state has a lower black %. It's mainly from New York City taking up so much of the state's population. Vermont is 0.87% black, though I can't remember seeing a black person in Vermont.

By total black population, I'd guess Florida and Texas would surpass New York in the next census. Maybe Georgia as well.
They may, but NY still gets immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean. Also, Rochester, Buffalo, Albany and Syracuse have higher Black percentages than NYC, as many just move Upstate or to nearby states. Even smaller Upstate cities have seen growth in their Black populations and many Black people just move to the suburbs throughout the state as well. So, we'll see what happens in the future.

Also, Essex County, NJ is about 41% Black and has a range of communities with above average to high Black percentages. It is probably the closest thing to Prince George's County MD in the Northeast. Communities like West Orange, Maplewood, South Orange and Montclair have Black percentages in the 25-35% range with above average/high median household incomes and low poverty rates. That is similar or close to PG County outside of the Beltway. Essex County also has Newark, East Orange, Irvington and Orange with all having Black percentages in the 50-80% range. They are more in line with PG County inside of the Beltway. What makes the difference is that Essex County also has communities with lower/low Black percentages, which is something PG County doesn't have. Same in terms of Hispanics, which Essex County has more of.

BlackDemographics.com | Black State Population

Essex County, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-29-2013 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 07:49 PM

87 posts, read 193,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I don't see this when I compare rural western Pennsylvania to southern West Virginia or eastern Kentucky. Allow me to illustrate the differences:

1. Small towns in rural western Pennsylvania have generally been more industrialized and better connected than the small towns in southern West Virginia and eastern Kentucky.

2. Catholics and Germans are the religious and ethnic pluralities in rural western Pennsylvania, as opposed to Baptists and Scotch-Irish in southern West Virginia and eastern Kentucky.

3. Rural western Pennsylvania has higher incomes and rates of high-school diploma attainment than southern West Virginia or eastern Kentucky, plus a higher percentage of residents with health insurance.

4. Rural western Pennsylvania has lower rates of poverty, obesity, drug abuse, teen pregnancy and STDs than southern West Virginia or eastern Kentucky.
I agree. Perhaps western Pennsylvania and Kentucky share a Scotch-Irish ancestry connection to some extent, but Western Pennsylvania has a high number of people of Italian ancestry, not just in Pittsburgh, while Kentucky has a low number of people of Italian ancestry (44th out of 50 states). Western Pennsylvania has a high number of people of Eastern European ancestry, while Kentucky has a low number of people of Eastern European ancestry.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:04 PM

3,180 posts, read 3,859,866 times
Erie is only about 90 minutes from Cleveland and is almost a part of the metro area. Buffalo has a similar feel to Cleveland as well. Never been to Pittsburgh, but everyone is aware of the similarities between these two cities. I think the Midwest is really an outdated descriptor and doesn't really describe any coherent region. The best way to describe these cities is Great Lakes, with the exception of Pittsburgh, which is more like a cross between Great Lakes and Appalachia. Anything West of the Appalachians should not be considered East Coast. This is a very real cultural and geographic dividing line.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,237,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Maryland is a Border state. Anyway there seems to be a tendency to take some sort of "ideal type" and apply it to the region as a whole.

i.e. Northeast = BosWash (cosmopolitan, sophisticated, fast-paced, liberal ipso facto anything in western and central NY and PA must not by northeast)

South = Deep South (religious, socially conservative, etc.)
Maryland in a modern sense is not a border state. It is a Northeastern state...Mid-ATlantic...Lower Northeast. Most of the state does not lean Southern.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Erie is only about 90 minutes from Cleveland and is almost a part of the metro area. Buffalo has a similar feel to Cleveland as well. Never been to Pittsburgh, but everyone is aware of the similarities between these two cities. I think the Midwest is really an outdated descriptor and doesn't really describe any coherent region. The best way to describe these cities is Great Lakes, with the exception of Pittsburgh, which is more like a cross between Great Lakes and Appalachia. Anything West of the Appalachians should not be considered East Coast. This is a very real cultural and geographic dividing line.
Agreed, but I disagree that the Midwest is outdated and doesn't exist as a region. The Great Lakes are a part of the Midwest.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:21 PM

12 posts, read 10,894 times
I would say that Buffalo is 50% Northeastern, 40% Midwestern, and 10% Canadian. It's hard to put it into a single "catch all" category.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 PM

13,227 posts, read 18,001,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Pittsburgh is a combination of the Coastal Mid-Atlantic and the Appalachians. It's not a Great Lakes city. In terms of built environment, development patterns and cultural lineage, Pittsburgh is most closely related to Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis and St. Louis; whereas Cleveland is most closely related to Boston, Providence, Hartford, Rochester, Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago and Milwaukee. Think I-90, the Erie Canal and the Great Lakes for Cleveland; and I-70, the B&O Railroad and the upper Ohio River Valley for Pittsburgh.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:23 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,760,721 times
Italian Americans make up a much larger percentage of the population in "midwestern" (sic.) Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse than they do in "northeastern" (sic.) Baltimore.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Italian Americans make up a much larger percentage of the population in "midwestern" (sic.) Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse than they do in "northeastern" (sic.) Baltimore.
King of Kensington, you're so hard-nosed about Italian-Americans. It's such a one dimensional argument. And in any case, you are turning this into a Maryland being Northeastern thread...quit hijacking my thread and go and start your own. This is really off-topic.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:43 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,760,721 times
I think the midwest "influences" Buffalo and the northeast "influences" Baltimore and Washington and Latin America "influences" Miami, so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.