Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:02 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Pittsburgh has more back-and-forth with Washington DC, Philadelphia and New York each than it does with Chicago. Honestly, if I had to figure out whether a city is located in the Northeast or Midwest, I'd ask one simple question: Does the city have a stronger migration network with New York or Chicago? If the answer is New York, then it's Northeastern. If the answer is Chicago, then it's Midwestern.
Also comparing this to Cleveland, while it's not much further west than Pittsburgh, the migration patterns are rather reversed with Midwestern cities being the top places where other people move in and out from. Even in Cleveland, the common state plates I saw were Indiana, Michigan and Illinois while here in Pittsburgh they tend to be Maryland, New York, and Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 09:03 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
And Maryland and DC aren't even part of the Northeast...how can BosWash determine all that is "really" Northeastern" if it's not even entirely in the Northeast itself?
Technically Maryland and DC are in the Northeast from a cultural, linguistic, and demographic standpoint. Btw, whoever repped me (not at anyone in this thread), I'll post all I want to, when I want to. If you don't like that, resign from city-data.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:08 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
So someone from the Maryland suburbs of DC, say, can deem say, Syracuse or Pittsburgh "Midwestern"? Ridiculous.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 PM

Also, white ethnic Catholics aren't nearly as much a presence in Maryland/DC as in the Northeast...in that "demographic" sense New York, Boston and Philadelphia have more in common with Rochester, Buffalo and Pittsburgh then they do with Baltimore.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Some people have too much time on their hands. These cities have never been a part of the Midwest. Seriously...Buffalo is in NY...?????

Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Basically where do you think these cities ought to be grouped? My personal vote would be that they are a mix...not decidedly either one. Although, my tendency would be to group them in with Midwestern cities before cities in the BosWash corridor.
We don't get a "vote" on this. They are where they are.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
So someone from the Maryland suburbs of DC, say, can deem say, Syracuse or Pittsburgh "Midwestern"? Ridiculous.
Why not? Does one have to reside in the Northeast to know what's Northeastern or not? And you make a point, but that's only one similarity. And we know that Maryland and DC are influenced by the South...they are on the southern fringe of the northeast.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
We don't get a "vote" on this. They are where they are.
Why not? Is it some kind of official rule that what the government says is?

Old 04-28-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Why not? Is it some kind of official rule that what the government says is?

No, whatever we "vote" on here can come to pass. Please lobby the federal government to designate Buffalo to become a part of the Midwest, and for Minneapolis to become a part of the Pacific Northwest, along with Denver. For crying out loud.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:35 AM

In addition to the lower number of so-called "white ethnics", the state of Maryland is 30% Black. No non-Southern state has nearly that high a proportion. The Washington and Baltimore metro areas areas are both over 25% Black as is the majority of central cities - something no major Northeastern city can claim. How does that make their demographics so obviously "Northeastern"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.