Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:43 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times

Advertisements

It's not like anywhere instantly changes culture across a state line/regional border. These things are gradual. So yes, Pittsburgh/Buffalo/Erie are in the "Northeast region" but I'd imagine they share many similarities with Midwestern cities since they are so close. Not sure why anyone would be so offended by that.

Don't people in Pittsburgh/Buffalo/Erie call soda "pop"? Mmmh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 10:49 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
It's not like anywhere instantly changes culture across a state line/regional border. These things are gradual. So yes, Pittsburgh/Buffalo/Erie are in the "Northeast region" but I'd imagine they share many similarities with Midwestern cities since they are so close. Not sure why anyone would be so offended by that.
I don't know if anyone is offended, but like you said, people from those areas would say that they are from the Northeast.

We could also say that nearby areas of the Midwest has similarities to the Northeast. Cleveland was settled by people from CT and many names of towns/cities in MI are the same as towns/cities in Upstate NY due to people from Upstate NY settling in parts of MI. So, those parts of the Midwest could easily be viewed as having a Northeastern influence.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:56 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know if anyone is offended, but like you said, people from those areas would say that they are from the Northeast.

We could also say that nearby areas of the Midwest has similarities to the Northeast. Cleveland was settled by people from CT and many names of towns/cities in MI are the same as towns/cities in Upstate NY due to people from Upstate NY settling in parts of MI. So, those parts of the Midwest could easily be viewed as having a Northeastern influence.
I guess, but you could say that about the whole country on some level. Is San Francisco "Northeastern" because many settlers came from there and Market Street was named after Philadelphia's Market Street?

I get your point, but there seems to be a large region and group of people between the major East Coast cities and Pittsburgh/Buffalo/Erie that would resent having anything to do with either of them.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:57 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
I can come up with a few things people might think of being "Midwestern" or at least associated more with the Upper Midwest cities.

-Steel and auto industry
-White working class
-Fewer "latte" liberals
-More conservative Republicans
-"Humility"

Those are the big ones.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-21-2016 at 11:05 AM..

Old 01-21-2016, 10:58 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
I guess, but you could say that about the whole country on some level. Is San Francisco "Northeastern" because many settlers came from there and Market Street was named after Philadelphia's Market Street?
didn't realize San Francisco's was named after Philadelphia's.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
We could say that about much of the country. The backwoods of Virginia and North Carolina were settled by Scots-Irish and Germans from Pennsylvania, etc. The U.S. was settled by people moving from the East to the West.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:

I get your point, but there seems to be a large region and group of people between the major East Coast cities and Pittsburgh/Buffalo/Erie that would resent having anything to do with either of them.
No, because SF has many more influences in comparison to those Midwestern areas.

I think those that may "resent" being in either are rural folks. With that said, it still doesn't make any of the three cities in question anything else, but Northeastern.

Aren't Norfolk, Charleston, Savannah, Miami, Jacksonville and even Richmond "East Coast" as well?

Old 01-21-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
We could say that about much of the country. The backwoods of Virginia and North Carolina were settled by Scots-Irish and Germans from Pennsylvania, etc. The U.S. was settled by people moving from the East to the West.
So, how can the 3 cities in question be considered "Midwestern" then?

Old 01-21-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
No, because SF has many more influences in comparison to those Midwestern areas.
Such as?

It's not like the Upper Midwest is 50% Yankee stock. Most of Wisconsin is people of German extraction who had little to no connection to any Northeastern state. Then you have Poles, Irish, Italians, Blacks, etc.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
So, how can the 3 cities in question be considered "Midwestern" then?
Because they have similarities like heavy industry, a large White working class, more conservative Republicans, etc. In that sense, Pittsburgh and Buffalo have a lot in common with cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, etc. That's generally why those types of cities get grouped together. They were all part of the country's industrial heartland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.