U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 PM

29,893 posts, read 27,333,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Fairhope, Alabama - on the eastern shore of the mobile Bay. It's historic and artsy, but allows for a commute to employment in mobile, and a short drive to the gulf beaches.
I was thinking Mobile, but I know it's not exactly coastal and I was unaware of the actual small coastal towns in the region. Coastal Alabama is a bit on the small side but quite nice from what I hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 05:19 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Perhaps Georgetown SC or Elizabeth City NC.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM

6,467 posts, read 11,548,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Shocked no one has mentioned the Pacific Northwest. I don't know much about it, but surprised no one else mentioned it.
No jobs, especially in the OP's preferred industries.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:03 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,742,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
No jobs, especially in the OP's preferred industries.
There are plenty of jobs in the Seattle area (Portland, not so much), but it's debatable whether Puget Sound really counts as "the ocean" from the OP's perspective. For one thing, there's no surf.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:33 AM

1,977 posts, read 1,815,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Those were the first three I thought of as well.

Charleston is the largest and is more of a city (city population is about 125,000, metro population is about 700,000). It has a ton of history and great culture. The low country food is excellent.

Savannah has a similar city population, but the metro is smaller. It is a lovely town with an old southern feel.

Wilmington is the smallest by both measures and is also very nice.
These three for sure, especially Charleston and Savannah, but more Charleston because it has a European flair to it as well. So the Greater Charleston Metro area would be the best suited I thick.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:06 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times
Long Beach NY

Old 05-01-2013, 10:36 AM

7,385 posts, read 13,224,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
There are plenty of jobs in the Seattle area (Portland, not so much), but it's debatable whether Puget Sound really counts as "the ocean" from the OP's perspective. For one thing, there's no surf.
Well, Seattle isn't exactly a small coastal town.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
These three for sure, especially Charleston and Savannah, but more Charleston because it has a European flair to it as well. So the Greater Charleston Metro area would be the best suited I thick.
Charleston and Savannah are great, but Wilmington is a well-kept secret and a very nice town with lots of history.

Some others...New Bern NC and Beaufort NC - both established in the early 1700 and very historic.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Starter View Post
The criteria are rather standard:

- Small town feel
- Ocean is a must (sailing, surfing)
- Work (IT, Logistics, Museum, Archeology or History related) commute is fine.
- Affordable houses
- "Nightlife" bars, restaurants, museums, galleries needed
- Preferred warmer winters ( we lived in CT and my wife wasn't a big fan of the winters there)
St Augustine, FL would be a strong contender based upon your criteria. There is a good bit of possible work in the Museum/Archaeology/History fields as the nation's oldest city, and a fairly strong IT presence in Jacksonville's south side which is an easy 30 minute commute.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 PM

12,644 posts, read 10,487,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Starter View Post
Hey everyone,

My wife and I are considering move from europe to a small coastal town in the states.
We are in our early 30s and after many years living in different countries in around the world we want to settle in a small town on the coast and enjoy the friendliness, warmth and values that we have experienced while traveling and living around the states.
We trying to put a short list of towns that we could visit this summer and would love to get some suggestions from local guys. The criteria are rather standard:

- Small town feel
- Ocean is a must (sailing, surfing)
- Work (IT, Logistics, Museum, Archeology or History related) commute is fine.
- Affordable houses
- "Nightlife" bars, restaurants, museums, galleries needed
- Preferred warmer winters ( we lived in CT and my wife wasn't a big fan of the winters there)

I hope you could help us to find the perfect place as we are going thru various "TOP 10" lists and we are getting more confused each day and we need to start to plan our trip for this summer.

We really appreciate any tips.

Thank you
Cape May, NJ

It's America's oldest seaside resort town at just over 400 years old, so it's rich in history. The entire city (it is technically listed as a city but has a small town feel, especially in the winter when tourists are gone and the population is only a few thousand) is on the National List of Historic Places registry for its many, many Victorian homes and hotels. So it has loads of charm and history. It's at the southern tip of NJ, at the Atlantic Ocean and Delaware Bay. In a few blocks from the ocean you could definitely find affordability. There are two major nightlife centers, one being Beach Drive which is the street right beside the beach. Many small shops, restaurants, ice cream places, there is some sort of Convention Hall right on the beach that hosts different types of events and shows, and then there's a downtown area with plenty more shops, restaurants, a small mall, etc. There are also many historic hotels with bars, clubs, restaurants, shops, small museums, etc inside, notably Congress Hall. And it barely snows in Cape May. Cape May is farther south than parts of southern states, so winter are nothing like those in New England.

Cape May is also close to other great areas, including Wildwood, Stone Harbor, Atlantic City, Ocean City, not far from Philadelphia and about 150 miles from NYC. Atlantic City International Airport is its closest airport at about 30 miles away with Philly's being the next closest. It also has easy access to Delaware via the Cape May-Lewes Ferry and from there you're closer to DC.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or