Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the minimum population a city can have to be considered a "real city"?
500,000 38 36.89%
1 million 24 23.30%
2 million 15 14.56%
3 million 4 3.88%
Other 22 21.36%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:55 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
When I think of real cities I think of the NE+Mid Atlantic and the midwest. SF Bay Area and LA are real too. Most cities in the south are so spread out that they seem to look country to me. Charlotte and Jacksonville look country except downtown. Atlanta seems real but again, only 400K something people living in 132 sq miles. Most major cites in the south are like large towns not cities. I wouldn't call Houston a city just a very large town/suburb.
So I guess Dallas, Miami, Austin, Nashville, New Orleans aren't real cities either. You should come down and visit because I know for a fact that these are all real cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 11:53 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Anything less than 5 million people is not a real city. Disagree with me? You're a jealous small town hillbilly.
Atlanta, Boston, San Francisco, and Seattle (all of which are right at 5 million or under) are every bit the cities that Los Angeles, Miami, and NYC are. They all offer major sports teams, have IKEAs, are major ports/transportation hubs, economic powerhouses, and major draws for tourists and immigrants. Just because it's not a global alpha-plus city doesn't mean it's not a real city. It's almost the exact same thing, just on a slightly smaller scale. Sometimes, less can actually be more.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:44 PM

549 posts, read 848,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
When I think of real cities I think of the NE+Mid Atlantic and the midwest. SF Bay Area and LA are real too. Most cities in the south are so spread out that they seem to look country to me. Charlotte and Jacksonville look country except downtown. Atlanta seems real but again, only 400K something people living in 132 sq miles. Most major cites in the south are like large towns not cities. I wouldn't call Houston a city just a very large town/suburb.
I can't really speak for the rest of your post, but I have to agree with the last sentence. Houston is the prime example of a massive population living close to each other, but not creating anything of substance. I just cant bring myself to calling it a real city. I still remember the first time I went to Montrose (which is apparently a nice part of town) and getting the distinct feeling that I was in some ramshackle small town. Crumbling sidewalks, cheap street lights strung from telephone poles, parking lots haphazardly placed between buildings. It's shockingly bleak. I now understand that all if the money down there is spent on the insides of buildings and people there just don't care about aesthetics.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times
Anything of substance? You guys are cracked out if you confuse the concentration of amenities in Houston as nothing of substance.

City data has messed up you guys brains into thinking a city had to follow a certain mold.

cities are centers of commerce, industry and entertainment. Arguably Houston is the 5th most city like as it has the 5th largest gdp in the country.

it has the busiest port in terms of ship movement and the most foreign exports.

It has one of the busiest airports in the country and two other airports.

The city proper is home to more f500 companies than any other city except NY.

its per capita income is in the top 5 of major cities.

It has massive theater and museum districts.

very few cities can match the city amenities in Houston and you say there is nothing of substance?

You guys are so ignorant

Old 08-12-2013, 05:26 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
Anything 100 thousand and up, IMO.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:00 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I don't completely agree because the pedestrian-centric "hipster" fad is relatively recent and prior to it people would have had no problem saying an auto-centric city was a "real city." Asheville, NC is much as you describe Berkeley. It's dense, organic, funky, and draws people, but I would still call it a town.
Pedestrian-centric is hipster and recent??? Have you ever left the US???

Old 08-12-2013, 06:04 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
I can't really speak for the rest of your post, but I have to agree with the last sentence. Houston is the prime example of a massive population living close to each other, but not creating anything of substance. I just cant bring myself to calling it a real city. I still remember the first time I went to Montrose (which is apparently a nice part of town) and getting the distinct feeling that I was in some ramshackle small town. Crumbling sidewalks, cheap street lights strung from telephone poles, parking lots haphazardly placed between buildings. It's shockingly bleak. I now understand that all if the money down there is spent on the insides of buildings and people there just don't care about aesthetics.
Oh a New Yorker.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,017 times
I'm not sure a specific population matters. I think Wilmington, Delaware is a small city, despite having only 70,000 people.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:31 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
If it has a Major League Baseball or NFL football team, even if it plays in a suburban stadium.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
I would say Village 1-20,000, town 20,000-50,000, small city 50,000-150,000, city 150,000-500,000 big city 500,000 +
According to IL law, a municipality can call itself a city or village (never a town) with no restriction on population, though at this time there are no villages over 100,000. Either can be divided into wards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.