U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 01:26 AM

309 posts, read 598,498 times

Advertisements

By white ghetto do you mean white trash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 12:34 PM

12,456 posts, read 11,963,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007jamesbond View Post
By white ghetto do you mean white trash?
I guess I should have titled the post "white slum," since a lot of people got confused.

I basically meant neighborhoods which look like they're literally falling apart, and chock full of abandoned houses and vacant lots, but are white majority, often by a fairly substantial margin.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:37 AM

9,895 posts, read 21,170,268 times
In Louisville the first area to come to mind is the Portland in the far NW corner of the city. The rest of the West End is 95% Black and poor with endemic crime. Portland is at best marginally better and probably just as bad.

Next White ghetto in Louisville is to the south of the mostly Black West End. Lake Dreamland and Riverside Gardens fit the bill.

Greater Cincinnati has too many to name. Elmwood Place and Hamilton are scary in the day time!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:14 AM

166 posts, read 251,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I guess I should have titled the post "white slum," since a lot of people got confused.

I basically meant neighborhoods which look like they're literally falling apart, and chock full of abandoned houses and vacant lots, but are white majority, often by a fairly substantial margin.

The only white slum I ever lived in was in Mpls Mn and it was and still is a hell-hole,with a blood-stained couch in the lobby and about 20 Asian gangs roaming the area. It is about 6 blocks from the U,and the area is mostly still white hippies --a throwback to the druggie days of the 60s and 70s,i guess. Though there are some towns in Ks that are basically boarded up and dead, and some areas of bigger cities that need some help-they are too small to be really called slums-to my way of thinking and to my experience with said slums..So no slums out in NW Kansas,thank God.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:26 AM

733 posts, read 749,046 times
White ghetto isn't an oxymoron, I mean an ethnic enclave full of white people is still an ethnic enclave, and it's not like white neighborhoods can't be run down.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:39 PM

724 posts, read 1,400,374 times
In the Charleston area, there are several "white ghettos", especially in the more rural areas in the suburbs.

Lincolnville (just south of Summerville) is mostly mobile homes and houses with unkempt front yards, a major contrast to most of the neighborhoods of Summerville surrounding it.

There's a ton of mobile home parks around Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties (especially in rural areas) that could also fit the bill.

There are others too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or