U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,449,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I read them and it sounded like Bay Area weather to a "T," minus the thunderstorms. We get maybe one of those per year.
Droughts are an issue here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 PM

5 posts, read 5,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The Californians seem to be ignoring some of the other criteria and hanging their hats on temperatures alone. Did you guys even read the other criteria?
I'm not ignoring anything. 5 out of the 6 points offered by the OP has exactly to do with weather and temperature. all of which Coastal California works. Just two days ago It was raining here (southern orange county) where there was thunderstorms all night.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,380,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The Californians seem to be ignoring some of the other criteria and hanging their hats on temperatures alone. Did you guys even read the other criteria?
Yeah, OP wants an area with low humidity but with fairly regular rain, thunderstorms, no drought/water issues but also mostly sunny . Low humidity rules out pretty much the eastern half of the country. Drought/water is arguably an issue/plausible issue in much of the southwest and So Cal. Parts of the Bay Area seem like a good fit but actually Portland, OR seems like an even better fit. Average high in July/August is right around 80 while December, the coldest month, has a daily average of 40.6. It gets a good amount of rain but also not very humid. The only thing is I don't think it has enough sunny days, though from what I understand it is sunnier/warmer than Seattle.

Portland, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ETA: Ah, I was right: 144 sunny days a year.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2013 at 06:46 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 06:25 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,269,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Droughts are an issue here too.
Is it really a drought when it's the normal cyclical rainfall amount? I know it doesn't ever rain here from May to October, but the marine layer compensates for the coastline and from The North Bay around to the beginnings of the Central Valley is one of the most varied and richest growing areas of the continent. With rivers and irrigation, water issues are not a problem here.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,449,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Is it really a drought when it's the normal cyclical rainfall amount? I know it doesn't ever rain here from May to October, but the marine layer compensates for the coastline and from The North Bay around to the beginnings of the Central Valley is one of the most varied and richest growing areas of the continent. With rivers and irrigation, water issues are not a problem here.
I'm not talking about the dry season at all, I'm talking about years with below normal rainfall that lead to water issues. You haven't lived here that long at all so you haven't seen or experienced it really but the Bay Area and Northern CA are prone to periods of droughts just as the rest of the state is. Even though you are pretty new here didn't you notice how we just had the driest Jan and Feb on record? I remember when I was a kid how much it rained in 1992 that ended a 6-year drought here. When rivers and reservoirs are severely below normal, it definitely creates water issues and restrictions on irrigation and recreation all over the state. Droughts are a major issue all over CA pretty much and always have been. Unfortunately they are predicting them to become worse with climate change too.

This document is kind of old (2000) but talks about the 6-year drought in CA, some of the pics of low reservoirs are pretty amazing:

http://www.water.ca.gov/waterconditi...port_87-92.pdf

Most of our reservoirs are not along the coastline either nor is most of the farming, so I'm not sure why you think the damp conditions along there somehow help much. Water issues are definitely an issue here and always have been.

Last edited by sav858; 04-30-2013 at 09:35 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 AM

176 posts, read 298,678 times
Thank you all. I know im being extremely picky. More or less I was wondering if there was weather somewhat similar to California weather except with more rain. I like green grass and trees etc. The dry brown areas of much of California don't really do it for me.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:19 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,269,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
Thank you all. I know im being extremely picky. More or less I was wondering if there was weather somewhat similar to California weather except with more rain. I like green grass and trees etc. The dry brown areas of much of California don't really do it for me.
So, Marin sounds pretty good.

That was my reference to the coastline. I am aware of drought conditions in California, but the Northern California coastline doesn't seem to have much of a problem with them insofar as the OP's desire for greenery and trees. It gets its moisture primarily from marine layer, not rain and is generally sunny most of the year.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 AM

542 posts, read 1,408,113 times
Hello Sean! Weather like that certainly exists in the US...in Southern California. That's why cities like LA and San Diego are so populous. Temperatures range from 60 - 80 degrees year round with abundant sunshine.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:23 PM

9 posts, read 15,688 times
Its called California coat. We live here now and can't complain about the weather, its gorgeous year round! But if you can spend about $550.000 minimum on a house go for it! Way too expensive here, people can be snobby and egos everywhere! We are actually thinking of relocating to Raleigh next year! We visited a few weeks ago and loved it

Old 05-08-2013, 02:45 PM

176 posts, read 298,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepollo33 View Post
Its called California coat. We live here now and can't complain about the weather, its gorgeous year round! But if you can spend about $550.000 minimum on a house go for it! Way too expensive here, people can be snobby and egos everywhere! We are actually thinking of relocating to Raleigh next year! We visited a few weeks ago and loved it
That's what i thought I really can't justify moving to California at this point in my life as much as i'd like to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.