U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:42 PM

176 posts, read 298,287 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Anybody familiar with an are of the country that has this kind of weather?
- Avg winter temps no lower than 40
- Avg summer temps not much higher than 80
- Lowish/non oppressive humidity for the most part all year long.
- Atleast 200 days of sunshine a year preferably more if possible.
- No water problems like drought, rain is good, thunderstorms are fun too.
- More or less relatively comfortable weather year round!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 03:05 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
Hello all. Anybody familiar with an are of the country that has this kind of weather?
If you consider that average daily temps are a combination of both high and low temperatures, I'd imagine that there are actually a lot of places that will satisfy your temp requirements. I know that one of my cities (Raleigh) does. If you meant something different as in, "I don't want Winter low temps to average below 40 and I don't want Summer high temps to average above 80", then that's a different question altogether.

Regarding sunshine, that too can be measured in different ways. One can measure the number of days that are totally clear or one can measure the average % of time between Sunrise and Sunset that the sun shines. To get 200 absolutely clear days of sunshine, you'll have to head to the desert Southwest but you'll clearly miss your mark in your temperature range.

For example on measuring Sunshine, I'll use my two cities: Miami has 70% sunshine on average between Sunrise and Sunset but it only has 74 totally clear days. On the other hand, Raleigh has 58% sunshine on average but more totally clear days: 111. It's probably safe to assume that both cities have more than 200 days with Sunshine but they will be interrupted by partial day storms and/or cloud cover, including the thunderstorms you enjoy in the Summer. The only trouble is that Thunderstorms are associated with instability in the atmosphere and are most likely in more humid areas.
Average Annual Sunshine in US Cities - Current Results

This leads me to the "rain and thunderstorms are good but I want 200+ days of sunshine and tolerable humidity" conundrum. I say pick your poison.

As for humidity, that's a fairly subjective topic because we individually measure what is tolerable and what is intolerable based on our own perceptions. For example, I can't tolerate or breathe in the dryness of Denver while others find it ideal.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:24 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
Yes. it is called Coastal Southern California

Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 5,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Yes. it is called Coastal Southern California
Not to sound redundant, but I agree. Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach, Laguna Nigel/Hills, San Clemente, And parts of San Diego like La Jolla.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:37 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,441,208 times
Sounds like Sacramento to me. It's a bit inland so it gets a few more thunderstorms than being right on the coast.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,456 posts, read 14,307,686 times
Well, at least you didn't ask for the requisite "plenty of jobs, low crime, good schools, and cheap too"

Old 04-29-2013, 07:12 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,292,750 times
Southern & central CA coast, San Diego up through Morro Bay or thereabouts. Sacremento can have horrific summer highs in the upper 90's, sometimes even 100, I don't think that's what the OP wants.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 PM

81 posts, read 181,885 times
Why do people continuously ask this question as if there is some secret place outside of coastal California with this type of climate? Your choices are within a mile or two of the coast from about San Diego up to about San Francisco or maybe some volcanic slope in Hawaii... high enough so the temperature doesn't break 80, low enough where the temperature doesn't drop below 40.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
The Californians seem to be ignoring some of the other criteria and hanging their hats on temperatures alone. Did you guys even read the other criteria?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:17 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,262,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The Californians seem to be ignoring some of the other criteria and hanging their hats on temperatures alone. Did you guys even read the other criteria?
I read them and it sounded like Bay Area weather to a "T," minus the thunderstorms. We get maybe one of those per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.