U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 07:59 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,654,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think this is quite true at least in some cases. I do know of young people who are living this way. Others are banding together in these expensive neighborhoods in very small apartments with lower rents in order to keep their low paying "tattoo/organic" jobs to pay the rent and pool resources for food.

The latter in fact has become such a problem in some Portland neighborhoods that landlords are putting restrictions on the number of adults who can share an apartment. My landlord just recently had to kick out people who were doing just this. One young hipster woman moved into a tiny one bedroom apartment in one of his buildings. That is who he rented to. There is a clause in all rental contracts that anyone who lives in the apartments must have their name on the contracts but many times people ignore this.

It was amazing to me that they were so clueless and oblivious as to how the other tenants and neighbors were being upset by them. All those people in one small space made for a lot of noise and the building's resources like the central hot water heater couldn't handle that many people in one apartment using it along with the other tenants. Apparently they worked in shifts and slept in shifts so there was constant coming and going all hours of the day and night. Those who worked that is. The wear and tear on a tiny apartment being utilized by so many people who should be in a much larger space must have been pretty bad.

It's like they had a sense of entitlement to the property. And they all dressed in hipster fashion so I would have to put them in that category. They were there illegally according to the rental contract but seemed to be completely oblivious to that too. But the landlord wasn't. He had them all move out. He told the original tenant she could stay but she moved too.

That is how many of them can afford to live in the nicer neighborhoods. But as for the ones where mommy and daddy support them and pay the rent, I wonder what will happen when mommy and daddy are no longer around and the trust fund dries up? Are these trust fund babies going to be able to look for jobs to support themselves at age 40 or 50 or 60?

May be in 5 or 10 years hipsters will be of the past and there be some thing else.

I can only hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,080,981 times
Yes, hipsters that don't get their money from mommy and daddy generally live with 4-5 roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or