U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 01:42 PM

2,881 posts, read 4,617,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
One is not less-sophisticated if they find foreign films boring or prefer mainstream American lager to PBR.
I've seen "hipster-ism" defined as a fetishization of the authentic. That is, drinking PBR, donning trucker caps, wearing clothes that harken back to real childhood memories or adopting everyday styles from the relatively recent past. It's kind of like irony in search of the real soul of a thing, which is kind of roundabout. What is this brand of hipster reacting to that this is the means of expression? That's the big epidemic question.

But it's playful and I generally don't have much problem with it. Until it turns into costume in rather uncommitted search of real life well into maturity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 01:48 PM

864 posts, read 1,433,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I live in what is considered a hipster capital of America. People have varying definitions of what hipsters are. I think, as in every generation, some young people will dress a certain way, behave a certain way and live a certain way in order to conform to what they perceive as non-conformity and call themselves "hipsters." But in the end they all pretty much wind up acting, looking and sounding the same until the next new thing comes along.

There are true genuine artists, musicians, writers and intellectuals. There always will be. These are the people who do not have to dress a certain way or live in a certain area to prove who they are. They don't have to call themselves anything to identify themselves. These are not hipsters. These are just people with talent.

If you have to dress or act a certain way to get attention to make people think you are something, you usually are not.
Fabulous post

Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I live in what is considered a hipster capital of America. People have varying definitions of what hipsters are. I think, as in every generation, some young people will dress a certain way, behave a certain way and live a certain way in order to conform to what they perceive as non-conformity and call themselves "hipsters." But in the end they all pretty much wind up acting, looking and sounding the same until the next new thing comes along.

There are true genuine artists, musicians, writers and intellectuals. There always will be. These are the people who do not have to dress a certain way or live in a certain area to prove who they are. They don't have to call themselves anything to identify themselves. These are not hipsters. These are just people with talent.

If you have to dress or act a certain way to get attention to make people think you are something, you usually are not.
This.

To the poster that said most hipsters seem to come from the exurbs, that is very true. Hipsters usually aren't people that were raised in the dense, walkable, urban environment they prefer. They were raised in suburbia in affluent, conservative, materialistic families. The hipster epidemic is a reaction against the suburban upbringing of Gen Y.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,760,259 times
Every generation has its counterculture, hipsters are the current one.

Some of them can be annoying and think they are better than everyone else but they aren't all that way. Some of them really are dedicated to bettering the world or just dropping out of the consumer culture. For some of them hipsterism is their consumer culture.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:27 PM

10,641 posts, read 8,527,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I understand that the hipster "epidemic" has been occurring across the us over the past decade or so. The purpose of this thread is not to deny or promote that claim but rather to question the degree of this so called "epidemic." I am curious about this because while others bemoan about how hipsters are infesting their neighborhood and causing gentrification, others (myself included) very very rarely encounter these types of people.
I am eighteen years old and currently live in south Florida, and, like I said, I barely run into anyone that doesn't fit into generic south florida stereotypes, especially in my age group. I would venture to guess that people from other areas have had a similar experience with their demographic, even in major metro areas. While people talk about hipsters being prevelant in New York, I must say that through my limited experience of traveling to the city and attending music venues, I have seen a few hipsters but also a fair amount of bros, preppy girls, etc. I was wondering what the local perspective was on this topic because I obviously cannot speak for the area. Furthermore, my theory is that the hipsters that do exist are very clear about their preference and have a very distinct style, which makes their presence seem more prevelant. I think the actual ratio of hipsters to other types of people is low, but the people who do identify as hipsters tend to draw attention to themselves. What are your thoughts and opinions on this issue? Also, an interesting question would be how the hipster factor in the us compares to other continents such Europe, South America, etc.
I live on the Queens side of the Brooklyn/Queens border. Usually the newcomers are from different countries, which still is the case, but now there seems to be newcomers from within the country that would historically just go to Manhattan. Don't know where they come from, but I notice more and more of them everyday. They blend in with the overall population in Manhattan, but around here it is obvious that they just arrived.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:29 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,021,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
No. They are not.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

Some of them can be annoying and think they are better than everyone else but they aren't all that way. Some of them really are dedicated to bettering the world or just dropping out of the consumer culture. For some of them hipsterism is their consumer culture.
I wouldn't say they are a counter-culture. They may think they are but counter-culture implies going against the grain and being a hipster has become so mainstream for the 18-29 age group that its culture, not counter-culture. It's ultimately a reaction against their "boring" affluent suburban upbringing.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,020,375 times

Wicker Park Chicago Guy Flipping On Bike - YouTube

Old 04-30-2013, 10:40 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,804,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Oh Please stop.
They essentially steal and copy from every previous cool generation without contributing anything new.

I noticed the beginning of this behavior when I was in Art School 20-something years ago. The untalented poseurs were nothing but leaches taking all and offering nothing except condescension.

While I played in a punk rock band, I did not have to look and act like a total dick to get my point across.
Essentially the Andy Warhols in relation to Jack Smith.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 PM

2,959 posts, read 3,819,814 times
"Hipsters" are nothing more than young people who are education-minded, free-thinking, and don't create crime. I'd live in a city full of hipsters than ghetto idiots anyday. No surprise that anywhere there's a good college, there's a large population of "hipsters". Hipster-haters are imbeciles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or