U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 04:46 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Perhaps there may be trends in hipsters behavior of south vs the north or the west coat vs north so on.

May be hipsters in south are socially liberal but economically conservative and hipsters in west coat are socially liberal but economically libertarian.

May be hipsters in the north or hipsters in Europe like to live in europe better.

May be that what you where saying there are different types of hipsters and state and country may play part in some of politics.

May be you saying in Portland most hipsters own cars where hipsters else where do not.
There is no maybe. I am saying the hipsters in my neighborhood who I know own cars. I am talking about their behavior. You have made some pretty broad statements. I would like to see some statistics to back up some of what you are saying.

Anyone can call themselves anything they like. Anyone can call anyone else anything they like. That doesn't necessarily make it so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 05:11 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,649,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
There is no maybe. I am saying the hipsters in my neighborhood who I know own cars. I am talking about their behavior. You have made some pretty broad statements. I would like to see some statistics to back up some of what you are saying.

Anyone can call themselves anything they like. Anyone can call anyone else anything they like. That doesn't necessarily make it so.

That problem with America now. In past when people did not know some think they turn to the encyclopedia for answers and now people ask other people on message boards and you can put 100 people in room and they all will give you different answers.

These artical on Wikipedia is not the best written on this subject .It talks about some stuff here but not all.

Hipster (contemporary subculture) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hipster refers to a subculture of young, recently settled urban middle class adults and older teenagers that appeared in the 1990s. The subculture is associated with independent music, a varied non-mainstream fashion sensibility, liberal or independent political views, alternative spirituality or atheism/agnosticism, and alternative lifestyles. Interests in media include independent film, magazines such as Clash, and websites like Pitchfork Media.[1

You be better of to find real encyclopedia or call a economic scholars. Becuse you going get 100 different replies here what is hipster.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:38 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,762,354 times
Quote:
Most hardcore liberals and hipsters hate the south and would never live in the south
Knoxville has a surprising number of hipsters. I assume they like it because Knoxville is ironic and gritty. But perhaps you are right in that they are not the hardcore variety - which is a good thing.

I don't think hipsters live in the south because they are fiscally conservative in a political sense. It may be that they are fiscally conservative in a frugal sense but isn't that a hipster trait? Most likely they are from the south already and didn't want to fly too far from the nest.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:52 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,649,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Knoxville has a surprising number of hipsters. I assume they like it because Knoxville is ironic and gritty. But perhaps you are right in that they are not the hardcore variety - which is a good thing.

I don't think hipsters live in the south because they are fiscally conservative in a political sense. It may be that they are fiscally conservative in a frugal sense but isn't that a hipster trait? Most likely they are from the south already and didn't want to fly too far from the nest.

I think some people don't like hipsters because they come of has elite or snobbish. Where punk and hippies had lifestyle and political views but more your average working class.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:15 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,813,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
I shall not belittle hipsters because of their culture. I am neither pro-hipster or anti-hipster. But what I can say is that in NYC, they are moving into recently gentrified areas of the city and sending the rent prices skyrocketing. People in those neighborhoods do not look kindly upon the influx of hipsters in their communities.
Ditto for Toronto.

And I don't know what all this crap about hipsters being modern hippies is....if that's the case, how does a hipster couple in their late-20's afford to buy a $900,000 semi and completely gut it, and drive around in a brand new Volvo? Because that's the norm here - I don't know where these tattooed, pierced mofos with their ironic designer clothes are making all this loot, but it ain't on Bay St. trading stocks, or doing mergers and acquisition for a corporate law firm. Far from being modern hippies, I think they're a new form of yuppie.

Last edited by TOkidd; 05-04-2013 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 02:44 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,762,354 times
I think it is a subset of hipsters that are elite and snobbish - they are not all that way thank goodness. Sometimes they have endearing qualities like thinking that harvest gold stove is fashionably retro. Since they are into consuming minimal energy as a fashion statement they make good tenants for drafty old houses.

I have discovered a trick in the rental business. When i have an apt coming open in the trendy neighborhood I advertise it a bit more generally. That way I avoid the snobs that will "only" live in neighborhood X.

But sometimes I may have to break down and advertise it as neighborhood X in order to get higher $$. I think of it as a snob tax. I'll give the rent breaks to people in my unfashionable area instead.

Some hipsters make big money being in the tech business or in advertizing/media of some sort. Maybe they inherited something from grandma. The rest are poor and living on waistaff jobs. They do tend to have an upper middle class background, regardless of where they are now.

Last edited by creeksitter; 05-04-2013 at 03:00 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 04:10 PM

487 posts, read 691,745 times
I'm still trying to get over the elite and snobbish yuppies.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:51 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,046,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Ditto for Toronto.

And I don't know what all this crap about hipsters being modern hippies is....if that's the case, how does a hipster couple in their late-20's afford to buy a $900,000 semi and completely gut it, and drive around in a brand new Volvo? Because that's the norm here - I don't know where these tattooed, pierced mofos with their ironic designer clothes are making all this loot, but it ain't on Bay St. trading stocks, or doing mergers and acquisition for a corporate law firm. Far from being modern hippies, I think they're a new form of yuppie.
I agree and it annoys me when people use hippie and hipster interchangeably. They are two completely different fads and yes there has been a hippie revival also.

As for where they get their money, they get it from their parents. Many are trust fund babies.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:18 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,813,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree and it annoys me when people use hippie and hipster interchangeably. They are two completely different fads and yes there has been a hippie revival also.

As for where they get their money, they get it from their parents. Many are trust fund babies.
I've always suspected they were getting the cash from their parents. I mean, there were so many neighbourhoods in Toronto that were solidly middle class ten years ago where you can't even get a crappy rowhouse for less than $750,000 now. I don't know where these people are coming from - maybe the burbs, or maybe they're the children of the city's wealthy enclaves - but they got big bucks, and they're making the whole city unaffordable. It's got to be mom and dad's dollars, right? They can't be buying up the city with the profits from their tattoo studio or their organic taco truck.

Last edited by TOkidd; 05-04-2013 at 07:23 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 07:20 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO kidd View Post
I've always expected they were getting the cash from their parents. I mean, there were so many neighbourhoods in Toronto that were solidly middle class ten years ago where you can't even get a crappy row house for less than $750,000 now. I don't know where these people are coming from - maybe the burbs, or maybe they're the children of the city's wealthy enclaves - but they got big bucks, and they're making the whole city unaffordable. It's got to be mom and dad's dollars, right? They can't be buying up the city with the profits from their tattoo studio or their organic taco truck.
I think this is quite true at least in some cases. I do know of young people who are living this way. Others are banding together in these expensive neighborhoods in very small apartments with lower rents in order to keep their low paying "tattoo/organic" jobs to pay the rent and pool resources for food.

The latter in fact has become such a problem in some Portland neighborhoods that landlords are putting restrictions on the number of adults who can share an apartment. My landlord just recently had to kick out people who were doing just this. One young hipster woman moved into a tiny one bedroom apartment in one of his buildings. That is who he rented to. There is a clause in all rental contracts that anyone who lives in the apartments must have their name on the contracts but many times people ignore this.

It was amazing to me that they were so clueless and oblivious as to how the other tenants and neighbors were being upset by them. All those people in one small space made for a lot of noise and the building's resources like the central hot water heater couldn't handle that many people in one apartment using it along with the other tenants. Apparently they worked in shifts and slept in shifts so there was constant coming and going all hours of the day and night. Those who worked that is. The wear and tear on a tiny apartment being utilized by so many people who should be in a much larger space must have been pretty bad.

It's like they had a sense of entitlement to the property. And they all dressed in hipster fashion so I would have to put them in that category. They were there illegally according to the rental contract but seemed to be completely oblivious to that too. But the landlord wasn't. He had them all move out. He told the original tenant she could stay but she moved too.

That is how many of them can afford to live in the nicer neighborhoods. But as for the ones where mommy and daddy support them and pay the rent, I wonder what will happen when mommy and daddy are no longer around and the trust fund dries up? Are these trust fund babies going to be able to look for jobs to support themselves at age 40 or 50 or 60?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or