Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ancient Oracle View Post
Twenty years before the massive influx of hipsters to Philadelphia, there were many urban pioneers and artists living inexpensively in Philadelphia, living outside the system, but they didn't all dress the same, as hipsters tend to do.
I think this is more the effect of the internet than anything. The internet has homogenized youth subculture to a large degree, since everyone finds the same "obscure" bands and has the same "obscure" interests regardless of geographic area. This is most easily seen in dorks. Every dork used to be different, because they largely grew up without anyone else around like them, but now they've formed their own dork subculture due to the internet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
To everyone out there who hates hipsters/yuppies: What exactly do you call yourself? Normal? What are the habits of "normal" people. Where do they live? What do they eat? What do they do in their spare time? If you fall into the catogory of "normal" what makes your group any less conformed then the hipsters themselves? What do you do that is better than them?

If you don't hipsters I want you to describe a better alternative. Hipsters aren't the only group that has a "superior" attitude towards other people. My point is that Hipsters don't deserve the hate that they receive. They have done numerous good things in terms of gentrifying rough neighborhoods into thriving communities. Hicks are hicks. Goths are goths. Hipsters are hipsters. Learn to live with them. Rant is over.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Twenty years before the massive influx of hipsters to Philadelphia, there were many urban pioneers and artists living inexpensively in Philadelphia, living outside the system, but they didn't all dress the same, as hipsters tend to do.
That is also very true of Portland. But many people don't know that because they haven't lived here that long. When I moved here 35 years ago, that was one of the things I liked about Portland. People were more individualistic and there was so much more creativity. Now it all seems so copy cat and show-offy.

For me, seeing everyone trying to look like and act like everyone else, is become pretty boring. But I can understand that to younger people who are new to all of this, it can appear to be different or unique because they don't have anything else to compare it to. Also, I don't think that young people are encouraged much to think for themselves these days. I think they are a lot smarter and have way more knowledge than my generation but they are also more conforming and more inclined to follow the crowd they see on TV and Social Media and the like.

Hipsters are a good example of this. I am not saying they are good or bad, just not very interesting.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:05 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That is also very true of Portland. But many people don't know that because they haven't lived here that long. When I moved here 35 years ago, that was one of the things I liked about Portland. People were more individualistic and there was so much more creativity. Now it all seems so copy cat and show-offy.

For me, seeing everyone trying to look like and act like everyone else, is become pretty boring. But I can understand that to younger people who are new to all of this, it can appear to be different or unique because they don't have anything else to compare it to. Also, I don't think that young people are encouraged much to think for themselves these days. I think they are a lot smarter and have way more knowledge than my generation but they are also more conforming and more inclined to follow the crowd they see on TV and Social Media and the like.

Hipsters are a good example of this. I am not saying they are good or bad, just not very interesting.
Agree with this. Young people today aren't taught to think for themselves. For millennials, "thinking for themselves" means keeping up with the cultural trends, which is pretty ironic. That said, I am not anti-hipster and think they bring a lot to a community. Charlotte for instance wouldn't have the fantastic neighborhoods of NoDa, Southend, or Plaza-Midwood if not for hipsters.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:14 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
Yep. I posted this back in february...

Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
I saw a 50 yr old hipster today so I predict the trend has run its course.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:50 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
We are over run by "MMA/UFC/Tap-Out aficionados" every weekend here in Huntington Beach. Wish these aholes and wannabees would just stay in the 909.
Sausage-to-the-fest.
Enough said.

At least hipster hangouts have attractive women amongst the crowd that have something interesting to talk about.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:12 AM

486 posts, read 862,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
My guess is that most posters on City-Data fit the hipster demographic, even though most wouldn't describe themselves as that. You are a hipster if you meet the following criteria.

1. Under 30
2. Prefer walkable, urban environments: anti-automobile
3. High appreciation for the arts
4. High appreciation for foreign culture
5. Politically very liberal; strong activism for the environment, legal cannabis, and animal rights
6. Against organized religion
7. Prefers independent music and movies to mainstream
8. Prefers locally-made craft beers or Pabst Blue Ribbon
9. Little tolerance for suburbia or mainstream suburban "cookie cutter" culture
10. Against "preppy" clothing; true hipsters wear hand me downs but many of the name brands are now marketing hipster-style clothing because of its popularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Oh Please stop.
They essentially steal and copy from every previous cool generation without contributing anything new.

I noticed the beginning of this behavior when I was in Art School 20-something years ago. The untalented poseurs were nothing but leaches taking all and offering nothing except condescension.

While I played in a punk rock band, I did not have to look and act like a total dick to get my point across.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This.

To the poster that said most hipsters seem to come from the exurbs, that is very true. Hipsters usually aren't people that were raised in the dense, walkable, urban environment they prefer. They were raised in suburbia in affluent, conservative, materialistic families. The hipster epidemic is a reaction against the suburban upbringing of Gen Y.
From what I've seen (including this thread) about Hipsters is nothing more than people trying to
express themselves and be unique. We've all done that. It is a combination of several decades;
50's, 60's, 70's & 80's. What I would like to know is if hipsters actually speak, communicate or
have friends outside their own age group? I'm asking this question because they
might get a better perspective & understanding of the ""old days, ways, thoughts, goods" and
what message people during those eras were trying to say.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
No one is a hipster. Hipsters don't exist. Hipsters are a slander word used against people you don't know.

I'm 33 now, and an uncool dad of a 3-year old. I think I was always too dorky to pass for a hipster, but I've definitely listened to bands which are slapped with that label, gone to bars which are called "hipster bars," and had friends who fit the demographic.

Of course, even these friends denied they were hipsters. They talked about other people, who dressed identically to them, as "****ing hipsters," and complained "why do hipsters always move to every neighborhood I think is cool." And "these goddamned hipsters ruin every bar I go to." I even had one friend once say to me "I used to think she was a stupid hipster, but now I know her, and she's really rad."
That picture is perfect

Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
From what I've seen (including this thread) about Hipsters is nothing more than people trying to express themselves and be unique. We've all done that. It is a combination of several decades; 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's. What I would like to know is if hipsters actually speak, communicate or have friends outside their own age group? I'm asking this question because they might get a better perspective & understanding of the ""old days, ways, thoughts, goods" and what message people during those eras were trying to say.
It will be tough getting opinions on that, because no one defines themselves as a hipster, as I said. They might say they're an "artist," or "nonconformist," "twee," a "bike punk," an "indie kid," or into "steampunk revival." But they aren't a hipster, even though they'll call people they don't know in the aforementioned groups hipsters.

If anyone actually self-identifies as a hipster, it's probably some sheltered high school kids who don't know yet they're supposed to find it insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.